• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 4: Australia v Argentina (16/09/2017)

Not going to suggest the Pumas deserved to win, but the ref was poor, and it needs to be pointed out. Got the scrum decisions wrong IMHO. Pumas not able to elevate their game to last weeks level, but they still had a convincing half time lead. Game was pretty scrappy in fairness. Flattering scoreline in the end. I'll admit to wanting the Pumas to do better. Ref inhibited them, unfairly in my mind. Otherwise, I have no vested interest in the outcome, bar the contest, so that's my 2 bits. I could be entirely wrong with all of that, so I accept that too. Just the way I saw things.

Got the scrum decisions wrong IMHO.

I think thats all we disagree on! I thought he was correct - and generous in not awarding a PT. I take the point that you were viewing it as a neutral.

Not sure the score was all that flattering, like I said the refs dismissed the pretty obvious offside and obstruction/holding that created the Pumas first try, and not checking the no-try where the Wallabies clearly grounded the ball - those 2 go the other way and it might have been a bigger margin.

I really think the intensity of the Wallabies in that second half was really the difference - as you said the Pumas looked well in the game at half time and I was very pessimistic at that point, had they kept playing so passively then I think the result might have been different.

The Pumas struggle with their bench, they seem to not have the depth at the moment to be able to have the quality of players you need in this day and age across the 23. I suspect thats a lot of the reason they have performed so poorly in the last 20 minutes of games this year.

You cant say too much about the ref, the first Puma try was very dubious, Wobblies had a try disallowed where it wasnt checked but there was clear grounding. Izzy's knock on was 50/50 - i wouldnt have been too upset if it was a penalty, but he propelled it up, not down, so probably a fair call. The Pumas were very lucky not to get a penalty try against them, just a YC was lucky.

There were some arguable decisions, but overall I dont think the reffing had any significant influence on the outcome of the game.
His decision to dismiss the wrong man at the supposed collapsed scrum compounded all those other mistakes you have admitted he made, and therefore ended the contest. Check the guy he sent off. His opposite number is on all fours and twisted in. The guy he sends off was still on his feet. Argentina were driving the scrum. Ridiculous! All in all, horrendous officiating mistakes throughout.

Ref was a disgrace but probably didn't change the result.

World Rugby has a problem with Argentina - make no mistake about that. If rankings were based on 50 min games they'd be world champs. Alas, a group of several world class players are going to move back to Europe where the smell of cash will ease the pain of losing 90% of their games for the last few years. Argie players' market value is large and there are fewer and fewer reasons to stay at home. Watch the exodus post 2019. Act now Pichot.

I am still amazed at how bad boffelli is at defense. It s as if he doesnt even care.

I think thats a bit melodramatic!
Eh? Ref yellow cards a guy for collapsing a scrum when he is the last guy standing in the front row. Yellow card! Contest is over. Outside his other noted cock ups, I'd suggest it's horrendous on its own merit. If you can't read a scrum collapsing, then don't make it up.

I'd suggest it's horrendous on its own merit.

Still seeing it as a bit melodramatic! Didnt see any other analysis that came to the conclusion that the reffing was "horrendous throughout", commentators, no, coaches, no, online commentary, no.

I must be bored to be arguing over semantics like this, I think it just raises my heckles having been a referee, hearing these sort of slights against professional refs at the highest level of our game. I get that you have a different point of view on some of his decisions, but armchair referees like couch coaches seem to think they always get it right!

Still seeing it as a bit melodramatic! Didnt see any other analysis that came to the conclusion that the reffing was "horrendous throughout", commentators, no, coaches, no, online commentary, no.

I must be bored to be arguing over semantics like this, I think it just raises my heckles having been a referee, hearing these sort of slights against professional refs at the highest level of our game. I get that you have a different point of view on some of his decisions, but armchair referees like couch coaches seem to think they always get it right!
Hardly mnelodrama. I will point to an earlier post of mine where I indeed suggest I could be quite wrong, so hardly think i am always right. The Armchair bit is very accurate, unfortunately. :)

I still thought the ref got his scrum decisions incorrect. Australia hardly have a dominating pack or front row that's going to hurt you, so any discipline against the pumas was always going to rile me.

Latest posts