• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (09/09/2017)

Hansen won't let McKenzie kick as that would be a sign that McKenzie should be a confirmed long term starter. I think that's his mindset anyway. To me every week you should just let your best kicker on the day kick.

I agree, I don't understand the determination to have Barrett kick when he's so bad. It's not good for the team, it's not good for the individual.

Typical AB's, one man down so they accelerate and outscore the opposition for the 10 minutes.

Could really blow up the scoreboard now with 15 left. Argentina are barely tackling them in the last few mins

It's infuriating. 2016 pumas opened every single ball they had. Now we kick every ball we can. It's as if we make it a point on being predictable.
Defense is just as bad as last year.

ABs have raised their level but the Pumas have gone into their shell a little since getting the man advantage. Still, this game is an example of why I don't think Hourcade should be fired before the RWC.

Young Mckenzie had a cracker of a game at fullback. Bad timing for Jordie Barrett to be injured. Mckenzie played a blinder. His vision and acceleration were superb nd a couple of errors aside (kicking out of hand) his defence was very good as well. He doesn't seem like a big bloke but he isn't shy.
Apart from the place kicking Barrett was dynamite, again. His kicking out of hand was poetry. His late try fully deserved. His running and support play and defence are spectacular.
The place kicking remains an issue though. His early kicks were close but after that it fell away. The AB's need to learn to score under the posts, Lol.
Great to see Nehe get on the end of Mckenzie's line break.
Good to see a soild performance from ALB alongside SBW who had a better game this week.
Fifita, well, it's only one game but folks must be thinking Kaino can finally be given the rest he deserves. What a performance. The kid has got gas and he is a powerful ball carrier.

Sanchez was excellent but Creevy was the stand out Puma in this match. So much impact, what a monster. That winger Boffelli is no slouch with the long range kicking.

It always surprises me how two people can see the same game completely different even if supporting the same team.

Everyone I was watching the game with thought Barrett had a pretty average game baring the odd touch of class ( grubber for ALB)

Thought he looked out of ideas on attack so kept trying his little chip

People were joking about someone pushing him off side just to get him off the field!

I noticed dmac on the right wing on defence at the start of the game and Barrett at fullback, did it stay like that? Did the whole backline just shift over or did dagg go somewhere else

Last edited:
But the lions beat the championship winning saders...
2 different lions teams too....... Lions also working towards a 3 test series.
Might not change the fact NZ 2nd XV would beat Argentina. Or most other countries for that matter.

As for this contest.........

Thought the Pumas excellent for an hour or so. Thought Dane Cole offside when he blocked the kick leading to Xaeva Full-of-Fuel's (sp) try. Not behind the last foot IMHO. Mattered little. Though that try by the flanker, was enough to rouse Lazarus from his sleep. What a blistering effort. Sure woke the ABs up, so another big no call in my book.

The Pumas agressive defence was immense at times. They just can't maintain it for 80 minutes. NZ can always find another gear. Like the guy in spinal tap who's guitar amp goes to 11, for that little bit extra......

Was thinking that the Pumas would manage any 6n sides with form like that, and most of them would not be able to reply as the ABs did. That Pumas hooker creepy? Creevy? (again sp?) is immense. What a leader he is.

Last edited:
If "any" Argentinian team could play in a regular fashion, we would be the best at everything. Sadly next week we may beat Aus or lose by 60. btw Cordero is a dumbass.

It always surprises me how two people can see the same game completely different even if supporting the same team.

Everyone I was watching the game with thought Barrett had a pretty average game baring the odd touch of class ( grubber for ALB)

Thought he looked out of ideas on attack so kept trying his little chip

Did those people you were watching the game with see how fast the Puma defence were rushing up? ... so rather than throw a pass that can be intercepted (remember Israel Folau's intercept try in the last game that put us right under the kosh), he sought to chip over the top and turn them around before he got closed down.
I'm alright with that tactic.
It doesn't always prove fruitful but it does mean the rushing offence has to keep someone back in case they don't get the bounce of the ball.
When that happened he shuffled the ball wide and we started to make ground.
It is up to the forwards to get go forward momentum and that wasn't always the case against the high intensity aggression the Pumas brought to their game right through the first half and most of the second.
Also, his ability to turn a dangerous defensive position into lightning counter attack is unparalleled by another 1st five in the game today. His pace of foot and his pace of thought are inspiring. He looks like a nightmare to defend against. His style opens doors for players like D-Mac and our wingers to show their pace and guile.

Also worth a mention is Ardie Savea, his work rate was fantastic.

Barrett's place kicking is too erratic at the moment to be the permanent kicker but that means he needs more time on the training pitch and more focus on his technique.
He can be excellent in some games.
Sopoaga missed a sitter as well in the pouring rain, so did Sanchez, it didn't look easy out there except maybe for the Argentine winger, Bofelli, who can kick like a mule.

Last edited:

Latest posts