• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (09/09/2017)

regarding SBW...

he is 32 now so I'm not sure if he is past his best or if its a confidence issue of him not backing himself anymore...

i do know class is permanent and form temporary...

i'm just thinking back to the last game against AUS during the haka, SBW had no intensity, he was just going through the motions, mumbling some of the words, no facial expressions nothing...

So i think its maybe just a confidence issue? because he is surely not himself, although he did show glimpses of SBW of old when coming on again later in that game vs AUS (maybe he is just better off the bench :p)

so it will be interesting to see how he plays this week...

i say "deserves respect" because baring a drop in form this season i think they have shown some improvement over the last few years and to talk like its some training fun undermines any progress made.

I think you can believe with very little doubt we're going to win but still respect the Argies

I respect them outright - twice a RWC semi finalist which the likes of Scotland, Ireland and Italy could only dream of. The NZ public and media have no such respect for them which is why they keep having to reiterate the high level of respect they have for them. The persistence of the scrummaging cliche at a time when Argentina have no scrum at all is proof of that.

i say "deserves respect" because baring a drop in form this season i think they have shown some improvement over the last few years and to talk like its some training fun undermines any progress made.

I think you can believe with very little doubt we're going to win but still respect the Argies

I respect them outright - twice a RWC semi finalist which the likes of Scotland, Ireland and Italy could only dream of. The NZ public and media have no such respect for them which is why they keep having to reiterate the high level of respect they have for them. The persistence of the scrummaging cliche at a time when Argentina have no scrum at all is proof of that.

Well Scotland have been to a RWC semifinal and we're only denied that again last RWC by Mr Joubert. But yes, you are spot on. This is the most competitive 8th, 9th and 10th ranked sides that the sport has arguably seen in the professional era and those teams are no laughing stock. Hansen is correct to not overdo his squad rotation incase it came back and bit him on the backside.

Watching Mitre Cup games is getting me more excited than ever about the Puma game. Just saw Vince Aso get a hat-trick for a losing Auckland side versus Taranaki - hope his mate Laumape does the same for the AB's if he gets a chance. Busy time for Kiwis in Aussie who follow all sports. The AB test clashes with an AFL finals game, with an NRL finals game close after. Damn, what do I video and when do I watch. Sunday 3.00am I must watch Lydia Ko chase her first win for about a year (currently tied for 1st). Thank god there are no kiwis in Supercars or Indy this weekend!! Sunday sees the Warriors 2nd side play a finals game, so hopefully a great AB victory will fire them up! Sad my life is sooooooo boring lol. (Takes another blood pressure pill!)

Hansen is correct to not overdo his squad rotation incase it came back and bit him on the backside.

Agreed, all things being equal the AB's should win comfortably, but as the last Bledisloe showed, lesser sides, playing their best can trouble the AB's and the Pumas are a difficult sort of side to play.

McKenzie the linebreak, finished off with a try by Milner Skudder

These guys are too small huh?

Typical AB's none of the ball, all of the points!

EDIT - nice work Bogan, perfect kick for an ALB try

Last edited:
Argentina's defence is their biggest issue IMO. Just a little bit soft, a little bit slow on linespeed and a little bit slow to react in phase play. Compare to the ABs, who are always up fast, always have numbers whichever way the attack goes, and miss far fewer first up tackles. I also think they're making bad decisions at the ruck, a lot of Pumas players making ineffective attempts at steals when they'd be better off getting another body into the defensive line.

Creevy, as ever, stands head and shoulders above the rest. He's an unbelievable player

Israel "too small to play wing" Dagg gets the try

Didnt see that coming! How often would that be the AB's seconds before ½ time? Turnover and try after the siren, Pumas in the lead.

Oh well...
What were the betting odds for Pumas winning 1h, anyone know?

That's why Barrett's shockingly bad placekicking isn't a minor problem

Nice half. Good defence by Puma standards and quite controlled in attack rather than doing low percentage offloads.

They were competitive in a few first halfs last year the faded badly in the second half, not all of which I can blame on them having a weaker bench. A great effort by them so far, but it will be worth nothing if they roll over in the second half.

ABs need to let DMac kick. I get that they want BB to practice his kicking but they need to focus on actually winning games first.

Edit:
Should've let Bofelli kick that.

ABs need to let DMac kick. I get that they want BB to practice his kicking but they need to focus on actually winning games first.

Hansen won't let McKenzie kick as that would be a sign that McKenzie should be a confirmed long term starter. I think that's his mindset anyway. To me every week you should just let your best kicker on the day kick.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Vamos Los Pumas!

Latest posts