• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: England vs Italy (26/02/2017)

Billy Vunipola could feature for Saracens this weekend.

He has been training with Saracens all week and a decision over whether he can face the Falcons on Sunday will be made after the final training session on Friday.

If he gets through the session and proves his fitness in the game, Vunipola could return to the England squad ahead of the Calcutta Cup clash at Twickenham on March 11.

Hope he can feature against scotland, off the bench obviously but another impact sub in the last 20 cant be a bad thing for england :) going to be a tough game not as confident as id like to be i dont know about the rest of you.

Enough of this - banter and debate are one thing, but just tossing personal insults and going "just kidding" are another.

Enough of this - banter and debate are one thing, but just tossing personal insults and going "just kidding" are another.

It sends a shiver down my spine to hear you so commanding [/EyelashFluttering]

Mako and billy starting for sarries and watson for bath. Really hope they come through ok cos all 3 should be playing against scotland, mako to start, billy(for wood) and watson(for may) on the bench

Mako and billy starting for sarries and watson for bath. Really hope they come through ok cos all 3 should be playing against scotland, mako to start, billy(for wood) and watson(for may) on the bench

Would you stick with Clifford then?

Is that on the basis that he's going to develop and improve the more he plays or something else?

Would you stick with Clifford then?

Is that on the basis that he's going to develop and improve the more he plays or something else?

I do rate clifford if im honest, he has alot of potential and has shown it many times yet has been invisible this 6N. If we start itoje hughes hask then i would prefer cliff on the bench to wood as wood doesnt have a chance when robshaw is back and cliff has the potential to be a great player.
I deffinatly want billy on the bench if he gets through this weekend. Need mako and billy on the pitch together. Impact bench of mako, george (even though i like them as starters) sinkler cliff billy care teo watson (may out of the 23) :).
Maybe bring bemch on early say 50 min

What do you think?

Clifford seems to anonymous, you look at his stats for involvement and it seems like he spends large chunks of the game avoiding doing anything, pretty much every forward will have more involvement than him wherever he plays. I can't see Jones taking too kindly to that.

Clifford is good but he's no Robshaw yet but then he's not had 4 years to hone his game at international level.

Clifford did his fair share of tackling against Wales. In attack, it looks like he's been instructed to stand wide, so it stands to reason he's not been involved so much. I'd like to see him more involved as well but I don't think its bad as it looks.

Assuming Billy makes it back, its one of Clifford, Wood, or someone else outside the squad. I'm definitely taking Clifford over Wood and I can't think of anyone outside the squad I'd definitely root for over him.

Clifford will be out in a heart beat.
He looked like a passenger.
Give him time and see how he develops.

Wood has looked pretty shocking though, to be fair.
Jones would/should probably keep Clifford to give him more experience

I like Clifford, in the end of season international against Wales last season he was fantastic. Still young too. I think poster above is right, he might have been instructed to stay wide because of his pace.

I'd love to see him on bench again, or at 6 this weekend. No need for Harrison again, no point in Wood. Billy maybe on bench if fit enough... I'd love to see a back 3 or Clifford, Underhill and Billy in a years time. Bit of everything that has.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, I want Robshaw and Haskell in the squads too. I think that kind of commitment and determination that they provide should be an inspiration to back row players coming through...

I like Clifford, in the end of season international against Wales last season he was fantastic. Still young too. I think poster above is right, he might have been instructed to stay wide because of his pace.

I'd love to see him on bench again, or at 6 this weekend. No need for Harrison again, no point in Wood. Billy maybe on bench if fit enough... I'd love to see a back 3 or Clifford, Underhill and Billy in a years time. Bit of everything that has.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, I want Robshaw and Haskell in the squads too. I think that kind of commitment and determination that they provide should be an inspiration to back row players coming through...

I agree with most of the above and in theory, a Clifford, Underhill, Billy back row would be well balanced, but I don't think Clifford's a 6. I'd rather see him developed as an alternative to Billy at 8 - principally as it's his preferred position and where he plays at club level.

I think the 6 Nations has shown that Billy can't be replaced in a like-for-like way (arguably he could have by Morgan). IMO that suggests we need a different game plan that is better suited to the other options we have at 8. For me, Clifford, Hughes, Beaumont and Mercer are all more suited to playing in wider channels and if we were able to develop a way of playing to incorporate that in some way, it would leave us less exposed if Billy is injured/unavailable and would also offer us another weapon off the bench.

It's great that Billy has become an 80 minute player, but I really like the idea of him emptying the tank in 100% beast mode for 60/65 minutes and then bringing a wide-running, roving number 8 on against tired, beaten-up opposition.

How is Ben Morgan getting on ATM at Gloucester? He seems to be a forgotten option at 8 and I think a better like for like replacement for Binny.

I'd argue that any 8 with a sufficiently high work rate and understanding of the break down should be able to play 6 at international level. I also think genuine 6s are the position we're lightest in going forwards, and I think we're going to see two 8s as a regular thing at some point, or maybe even two 7s once all the kids are grown up.

Latest posts