• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

He meant the scrum that resulted in the England penalty and the line they made a hash of in the last crucial 10minutes....

Guscott's just another example of how top players, especially instinctive ones, seldom make great coaches or pundits.

Brilliant player in his day though, wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty as well as doing the pretty stuff. When you think of all the centre combos we've had over the past decade its amazing to think he lined up 46 times with old bum face.

Guscott's just another example of how top players, especially instinctive ones, seldom make great coaches or pundits.

Brilliant player in his day though, wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty as well as doing the pretty stuff. When you think of all the centre combos we've had over the past decade its amazing to think he lined up 46 times with old bum face.

Yeah, but my problem with him is that I don't think he even tries or cares very much. Like I'm pretty sure most posters on this forum with the exception of Valley Commando but more thought and research into their posts than Guscott does. Like, I'd be incredibly surprised if he's gone back and re-watched Wales versus England. It doesn't matter though, because he's a Lions and England 'Legend' and that's all people care about it seems.

I think that's the case for a huge number of commentators/pundits though.

Dayglo, Dawson, Woodward, Bayfield... etc.

Yeah, but my problem with him is that I don't think he even tries or cares very much. Like I'm pretty sure most posters on this forum with the exception of Valley Commando but more thought and research into their posts than Guscott does. Like, I'd be incredibly surprised if he's gone back and re-watched Wales versus England. It doesn't matter though, because he's a Lions and England 'Legend' and that's all people care about it seems.

To me it looks like he is desperate to avoid saying anything that will get the "arrogant English" brigade going so tries his best to avoid saying anything positive about England that would not also be said by the pundits of other nations whilst he is quicker to praise everyone else.

Dayglo's only problem is his very obvious bias towards Wasps players otherwise I would take him Kay, Healy, F(l)atman etc over Guscott, Wood, Jiffy and that Sonia bird any day of the week.

We don't need to be arrogant, just deal in facts.

We beat the Welsh, we did last time and the time before. We are a much bette team than that bunch of amateurs.

End of

To me it looks like he is desperate to avoid saying anything that will get the "arrogant English" brigade going so tries his best to avoid saying anything positive about England that would not also be said by the pundits of other nations whilst he is quicker to praise everyone else.

Exactly what I was going to say,
He tries to be as unbiased as possible but just comes across uninformed.

You can never be 100% sure...if you make a comment, better hope you're not a fish cos there's some very long rods on this forum....
...Hmm ok, maybe that was badly expressed :p

If I could have added some sarcasm marks somehow I would. It's all a joke (just like VC is). But I cannot believe people are still talking about this game. I hues the Welsh are still stuck on trying to beat the English rather than actually being a top quality rugby team.

I don't agree.

By the way Guscott had 6 Wales players in his Lions 15 after the last round, 5 English, 3 Irish and 1 Scot.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it was Max Boyce

So let me get his straight .... despite the fact we are on a 16 match unbeaten streak you are still adamant that Wales are currently a better team than England ?

So let me get his straight .... despite the fact we are on a 16 match unbeaten streak you are still adamant that Wales are currently a better team than England ?

3 of those 16 have been against Wales to.

Look, Wales are good, and they aren't far behind England, but England are better at the moment. Only just, but better.

3 of those 16 have been against Wales to.

Look, Wales are good, and they aren't far behind England, but England are better at the moment. Only just, but better.

I'd say more than only just. Wales have been scraping wins against the likes of Japan at home whilst being completely annihilated by England, NZ, Chiefs and Australia last year. On the flip side we have beaten the Aussies 4 times and have been able to win with injuries and playing badly. Wales always up their game against England which distorts the fact that they are a team that are in decline. England got more SH scalps last year than Wales have in a decade.

I'd say more than only just. Wales have been scraping wins against the likes of Japan at home whilst being completely annihilated by England, NZ, Chiefs and Australia last year. On the flip side we have beaten the Aussies 4 times and have been able to win with injuries and playing badly. Wales always up their game against England which distorts the fact that they are a team that are in decline. England got more SH scalps last year than Wales have in a decade.

A fully fit firing England has a much higher ceiling than the current Wales team/squad for sure! I think I was maybe being slightly generous...

I was wrong re Youngs being offside, great linespeed from him there! Imo Williams was off his feet and should have been pinged for that turnover, didn't look right at the time, still doesn't now.

Unsure why so many are shooting down posters for possibly suggesting that in their opinion Wales were the better side on the day, but lost. It happens, and I can recall plenty of occasions where Wales have won despite being the poorer side on the day. Over the course of the 80 it was pretty bloody even last weekend, so stop coming across as poor winners and accept that a Welsh poster may want to take some heart out of the possibility that we outplayed the mighty English on the day. Our performances have been mostly shocking of late, so the performance was encouraging, even if the loss was disappointing.

If you have a problem with VC, address him, instead I see that some on here have stooped to VC's level instead and tarred us all with the same brush! Starting to remember why I stopped posting for so long...

Unless the ref makes a real howler of an error, I don't see how the better side can lose. They may have played prettier, they may have made less unforced errors, they may have scored more tries, but at the end of the day rugby is won by putting points on the scoreboard, and the better team is the one that puts more points on the board. Whether those points came or were lost through team malfunction or individual error (who's still part of the team), it doesn't matter.

You say pointing out that Wales weren't the better side is being poor winners, surely trying to claim Wales were the better side is being a poor loser?

I can't argue that the welsh performance was very good, especially in comparison to past games, but they do seem to put a bit more effort in against England (perhaps that's just my England glasses). If they keep that standard of performance however, it's going to put them in good stead for the rest of the comp.

Latest posts