• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Lions vs. Crusaders (QF) 23/07/2016

Well done to the Lions and Ackerman
Direct opposites here - Young team and great coach, never say die attitude vs. established team with underpinning "old" coach and all associated wit that

Hope Lions will make the finals, will be good for SA rugby

Without Nadolo to make the advantage line every play the saders have 0 direction in that backline and it seems without moody they now cant scrum for crap either.

Totally agreed!! Yet Crockett and Franks was selected in the June Internationals. I am shocked.

I am keen to see how many players from Crusaders are selected for the Rugby championship. Based on their form on the weekend. Many should not be selected

Last edited:
Totally agreed!! Yet Crockett and Franks was selected in the June Internationals. I am shocked.

I am keen to see how many players from Crusaders are selected for the Rugby championship. Based on their form on the weekend. Many should not be selected

Iv been saying Franks is overrated for years. And Crockett has been surprisingly woeful.

Sometimes I wonder is there a affiliation between ALL Blacks and Crusaders.

I doubt it. Sometimes close calls in selection favour those at the most successful team. It has the added benefit that they are likely to be surrounded by teammates. I can recall what was probably the best game of provincial rugby I have ever seen - the 1987 Canterbury-Auckland NPC/ Ranfurly Shield game in Christchurch, won 28-23 by Auckland. The ABs World Cup squad was named shortly thereafter. Of the 25 selected, 14 were from Auckland, 6 from Canterbury.
For the record, of the 5 non-Auck/ Cant players, 2 were from Wellington, 2 from North Harbour (which had only split from Auckland in '85), and 1 from Taranaki.

EDIT: Well, that goes to show how the memory can play tricks! The game I was referring to was actually in 1985 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1gB3SeO3g). Auckland and Canterbury were the dominant teams of the era, though.

Last edited:
Lion-Crusaders:Skosaan Not Presuring kick receiver/De Klerk:Gives away posssessi

Lions v Crusaders: Nice win but two serious weaknesses in Lions. First Skosaan and Combrink do not pressure the kick receiver adequately either from kickoff or with up-and-unders . Skosaan, in particular, gets within easy tackling distance but backs off and waits for the receiver to run at him. Until he learns to go in full tilt and force the fumble (or hit the guy so hard he is traumatised for future kicks), he should be benched and some youngster from a country district school should be brought in to show how it is done, Hennie le Roux (former national flyhalf) noticed this as a failing of the 'boks in the recent Ireland series (Mvovo the main culprit).
The second flaw is de Klerks penchant for the "Hoist and Pray" from behind the scrum. What amazes me is that no one else appears to have noticed how frequently tries against the Lions result shortly after. This is a particularly stupid tactic given that Skosaan and Combrink appear reluctant to compete for the ball or to pressure the receiver. Please note that New Zealand scrum-halves almost never use the tactic and there are currently three NZ teams in the Super 16 semi-finals. De Klerk is a fine player, but he needs to be appraised of the stupidity of the tactic.

No way the lions are 20 points better than the crusaders when you factor out the altitude and travel. Crusaders are not the team they have been all the same.

there should be a couple of weeks between the last match and quarter finals, considering the potential advantage. If you are going to play conferences, then give the away side a breather for the travel.

I forgot that when a New Zealand rugby team loses it is never actually their fault

This one

- - - Updated - - -

second

You have implied and referenced me in your above threads as if I were a New Zealander. For the record, I am not, and want to make it abundantly clear that I watch rugby to see two teams compete on as even a playing field as possible. I don't believe the. Super rugby format provides it. You don't have to be the Einstein of rugby to see this is the case.

Quoting my post in your argument rather proves that many neutrals simply agree that the format weighs in favour of south afrixan teams getting a bye into the quarters, as well as a soft ride in fixtures.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it. Sometimes close calls in selection favour those at the most successful team. It has the added benefit that they are likely to be surrounded by teammates. I can recall what was probably the best game of provincial rugby I have ever seen - the 1987 Canterbury-Auckland NPC/ Ranfurly Shield game in Christchurch, won 28-23 by Auckland. The ABs World Cup squad was named shortly thereafter. Of the 25 selected, 14 were from Auckland, 6 from Canterbury.
For the record, of the 5 non-Auck/ Cant players, 2 were from Wellington, 2 from North Harbour (which had only split from Auckland in '85), and 1 from Taranaki.

EDIT: Well, that goes to show how the memory can play tricks! The game I was referring to was actually in 1985 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc1gB3SeO3g). Auckland and Canterbury were the dominant teams of the era, though.

Beauty link. I toured OZ back in 85 and saw this game prior to our trip. I will watch it again, as I still recall the dramatic last minutes from 30 years ago. This match had me ****ting myself going down under :)

how long has Nisbett been commentating? One of my favourites. It is him, correct?

back in the day you needed a muzzy to play for the all blacks. :)

Edit: terry wright touchdown for try was debateable - no TMO lol

Last edited:

Latest posts