Club or Nation
Stormers
Super%20Rugby.png

Lions.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

Date : Saturday 23 July
Venue : Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg
Kick Off local: 16.30 (GMT 14.30/ NZ Sun 02.30 AM / Aus Sun 12.30 AM / SA 16.30)

Referee: Craig Joubert
Assistant Referees: Marius van der Westhuizen, Rasta Rasivhenge
TMO: Marius Jonker

Teams:

Lions
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Rohan Janse Van Rensburg, 11 Courtnal Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain)/Ruan Ackermann, 7 Warwick Tecklenburg, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Julian Redelinghuys, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Dylon Smith

Substitutes: 16 Armand van der Merwe, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Jacques Van Rooyen, 19 Ruan Ackermann, 20 Cyle Brink, 21 Ross Cronje, 22 Howard Mnisi, 23 Jaco van der Walt/Sylvian Mahuza

Crusaders

15 Israel Dagg, 14 Johnny McNicholl, 13 Ryan Crotty, 12 David Havili, 11 Jone Macilai, 10 Richie Mo'unga, 9 Andy Ellis, 8 Kieran Read (captain), 7 Matt Todd, 6 Jordan Taufua, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Wyatt Crockett

Substitutes: 16 Ben Funnell, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Mike Alaalatoa, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Jimmy Tupou, 21 Mitchell Drummond, 22 Ben Volavola, 23 Kieron Fonotia

Last edited:
not too sure what to make of this game, Lions need to bring their most absolute A game!

I actually have the Lions down as slight favorites here. Whiteley possibly in, Nadolo out certainly don't hurt their chances. Not that there's much in it.

Only SA team with a deserved realistic chance in my view.
Wish them all the best.
Need to play the Saders off their feet and not be dictated to

Well the Saders were the only team to beat the Lions at home this year so far, I think the Lions will be out to avenge that defeat...

I wouldn't like to face a motivated lions team at home. Lions by +10

Well the Saders were the only team to beat the Lions at home this year so far, I think the Lions will be out to avenge that defeat...

That was an awesome game but I will correct you (for a change) this time and remind you that the 'Canes spanked the Lions at home in a weird one this year. That result was made to look even weirder by the Sharks dominating the 'Canes the very next week while the Sharks couldn't get near the Lions in both fixtures this year.

Last edited:
That was an awesome game but I will correct you (for a change) this time and remind you that the 'Canes spanked the Lions at home in a weird one this year. That result was made to look even weirder by the Sharks dominating the 'Canes the very next week while the Sharks couldn't get near the Lions in both fixtures this year.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that thrashing (because I didn't watch that game). My bad, and apologies for that.

I'd like to see a new champion so Lions by 1

I'd like to see a new champion so Lions by 1

I know people don't put much stock in it but the Lions and Reds each earned a ***le back when the tournament was still in its early development; pre S10. So... rather support the Stormers! We have a closer relationship with Argentina to boot and remember there is a jersey in it for you.

I'm looking forward to this match the most, Lions are a dangerous outfit when there on point the Crusaders are dangerous even non an off day, the Lions have to go full tilt to win this one, at the moment in saying Crusaders but it may change after the first 40, depends what Lions team turns up..

In Lions we trust but the Crusaders are the f*cking Crusaders. In a good day can beat any side in any season, they are the boss of this competition

- - - Updated - - -

I know people don't put much stock in it but the Lions and Reds each earned a ***le back when the tournament was still in its early development; pre S10. So... rather support the Stormers! We have a closer relationship with Argentina to boot and remember there is a jersey in it for you.

Yeah, I knew that but you should have sent the jersey after the regular season. Bet for the Stormers is more dangerous that walk in Gaza Strip wearing a Jew t-shirt

Lions are definitely going to leave everything on the field, they are looking for the payback.

Lions by 7.

Lions are going to **** this. Crusaders have no answer to teams that outclass them in the backs.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy cow havent seen the Saders get raped like that in the scrum in a while.... got to look who's playing now...

Good defense again. Lions could do with kicking to touch a little just to get their breath back.

- - - Updated - - -

Game on. Been all one way the last fifteen mins.

- - - Updated - - -

Joubert with a premature and wrong call while the Lions were charging in. He is being good penalising holding on to the ball after being tackled though.

Another howler from Joubert. Giving a yellow card to a Crusader that hadn't even touched the ball. It had come off a Lions leg. Has yet again decided game with his incompetence. Hopefully he doesn't run off the pitch like a coward again! :p

The result was expected. Crusaders has not improved the past few years. Blackadder has contributed nothing to this team. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
If Ackermann hadn't thrown away the number one seed I think they'd have been favourites - they were great and altitude is a huge bonus. Tactics better in second half to just boom long kicks and make Dagg respond from his own 22.

They have to hope Hurricanes lose next week to regain chance of home final i guess?. Rensburg and Jantjies both outstanding and the team quite youthful. Hard to think why Springboks have been struggling recently as on this evidence they'll be a top three team minimum for a few years yet.

Latest posts