• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Jaguares vs. Highlanders (Round 16) 09/07/2016

Well, our players don't understand a **** of english either (despite some of them played in England), so no surprise the TMO doesn't.

Pathetic performance, the worst in all of the competition so far. They didn't do a single thing right.

I don't say pathetic. I watch Super Rugby since many years ago and this is a weird season. I mean, always the NZ conference is the strongest conference but they usually have 3 strong teams and 2 weaks teams or something like that. This year they have 5 strong teams, this is not common even for NZ. The Chiefs and the Landers used to be weak teams. The Blues don't win the tournament since the 90s.

Even the Aussies with a lot of experience playing this competition have been smashed by the Kiwis and the South African have played less games against the Kiwis sides. The Jaguares have played against all the Kiwis teams in this weird season. I'm not sure is this is going to repeat in the next season, the 5 NZ franchises playing at this level, even the Blues, the weakest NZ team can beat any SA/OZ team this year. The only SA team that can compete against NZ sides is Lions ATM.

Next season the Jaguares are going to face the Aussie teams and would be a more competitive challenger and I can't imagine the 5 NZ franchises playing at this level in 2018 again.

In the most succesfull SR season for the NZ conference, we had to face all of them. Even Brumbies and Waratahs, the best Aussie franchises have been smashed by the Kiwis this year.

I guess i see both sides on this one.
What worries me is not that we lost, but how we lost (not this game but the overwhelming majority of games). We made mistakes that should not do.
Sure, transition year, new competition, complex calendar, the fact that Jaguares are not the Pumas but they are judged as if they were... call it what you want..... it still does not explain why the ball falls from a player's hands, why we are missing tackles like we've never done before and why our scrum went from being a powerhouse to inconsequential overnight.

I do not mind losing to a better opponent (i do, but i can live with it). I do mind not playing to the best of our abilities.

This year they have 5 strong teams, this is not common even for NZ. The Chiefs and the Landers used to be weak teams. The Blues don't win the tournament since the 90s.

Except when they won it in 2003. And since 2009 it's probably difficult to call the Chiefs a weak team. Both have historically been mid table.

Except when they won it in 2003. And since 2009 it's probably difficult to call the Chiefs a weak team. Both have historically been mid table.

My mistake, since 2003, 16 years ago the Blues can't win the ***le. Is too much time for the biggest Rugby Union in NZ. And yes, I was talking about the Chiefs before the 2009. I remember that Chiefs was the last NZ team to reach a Super Rugby final, isn't it? In the 90s and first years of 2000 they were a joke, not always the Chiefs have been a top class team like the Saders

Last edited:
My mistake, since 2003, 16 years ago the Blues can't win the ***le. Is too much time for the biggest Rugby Union in NZ. And yes, I was talking about the Chiefs before the 2009. I remember that Chiefs was the last NZ team to reached a Super Rugby final, isn't it? In the 90s and first years of 2000 they were a joke

But what's confusing is you say 'NZ sides are usually not so competitive' - then site information teams form since the 90s. Since the conference system - one of the few reasons some NZ teams have struggled is simply because they have to play every other NZ team twice. I imagine the Blues even last season would have been a mid table side if they were in one of the SA conferences..

But what's confusing is you say 'NZ sides are usually not so competitive' - then site information teams form since the 90s. Since the conference system - one of the few reasons some NZ teams have struggled is simply because they have to play every other NZ team twice. I imagine the Blues even last season would have been a mid table side if they were in one of the SA conferences..

I can't understand what is your doubt. I'm saying that NZ is by far the best SR conference, but usually the best Aussie team (usually the Brumbies) can beat 2 or 3 NZ teams per year. This season they can't beat any NZ side and that's weird. In 2014 the Tahs beat many NZ teams and that was only 2 years ago. I'm talking to the people that never have seen SR before this season. Usually the Aussies have 2 teams that can compete against NZ sides, not this year, obviously

Last edited:
I was on the field for the game and i want to point out that during the warm up the highlanders were practicing scrum: they where hooking the ball quikly and the collapsing the scrum. yes the where practicing this in front of everybody, even my dad pointed out this during the warm up and said i hope the ref is going to punish.. of couse he didnt. the landers did this almost every scrum, collapsing just after hooking from the opposite prop from where the reff was. I guess the had studied the reff.
i also counted 3 umpunished high tackes and at least 4 offsides fron the landeres arround the ruck that the reff allowed
of course this don´t mean we lost because of this, but it was truly annoyng.

This year they have 5 strong teams, this is not common even for NZ. The Chiefs and the Landers used to be weak teams. The Blues don't win the tournament since the 90s.

I can't understand what is your doubt. I'm saying that NZ is by far the best SR conference, but usually the best Aussie team (usually the Brumbies) can beat 2 or 3 NZ teams per year. This season they can't beat any NZ side and that's weird. In 2014 the Tahs beat many NZ teams and that was only 2 years ago. I'm talking to the people that never have seen SR before this season. Usually the Aussies have 2 teams that can compete against NZ sides, not this year, obviously

The crap you're spilling onto the keyboard is hilarious.

What reality do you dwell in? NZ teams have all made a final more than once spread out during the duration of the competition existence 4 out of 5 have won it. The Highlanders have had a few weak seasons as well as the Chief, Canes and Blues, but never have they been considered a "joke".

Not too mention that was when it was the Super 12/14 and the quality of the opposition was actually good. Australia only had 3 teams at one point.

The only joke here is your posting abilities.

P.S the Jags aren't that good, nor is Argentinian Rugby, get back in touch with reality mate.

Last edited:
We were playing in Argentina...green and white are our away colours

So dark blue is the 1st colour? How close is the University of Otago from your home stadium? I hope that your sponsor logo on the chest will be the University of Otago.

So dark blue is the 1st colour? How close is the University of Otago from your home stadium? I hope that your sponsor logo on the chest will be the University of Otago.

very close, a few hundred meters, doubt it ever will be, uni wont commit enough money to buy it

I was on the field for the game and i want to point out that during the warm up the highlanders were practicing scrum: they where hooking the ball quikly and the collapsing the scrum. yes the where practicing this in front of everybody, even my dad pointed out this during the warm up and said i hope the ref is going to punish.. of couse he didnt. the landers did this almost every scrum, collapsing just after hooking from the opposite prop from where the reff was. I guess the had studied the reff.
i also counted 3 umpunished high tackes and at least 4 offsides fron the landeres arround the ruck that the reff allowed
of course this don´t mean we lost because of this, but it was truly annoyng.

I find that very hard to believe, you're also the only person from all the press around the world to say it that i've seen and why didn't the opposition point it out? you're telling me out of all the reporters there...none of them saw it and though "Highlanders caught practicing cheating" would make a good story?

also, there were very few collapsed scrums, I thought both teams had very stable scums, I can remember 3 or 4 where neither scrum gave an inch even when the ball was at the back, the ref had to tell them to use it or lose it

you like those TV lawyers that state something inflammatory and then quickly take it back, "of course this don´t mean we lost because of this, but it was truly annoyng." but its already out there waiting for a bite....

in the end it was stuff like loosing 6 of your own lineouts i think at one point 3 in a row, offloads in the tackle where we beat you 17 to 9 and basically just not being clinical enough, you had plenty of territory and possession, just could get over the line that cost the game

I find that very hard to believe, you're also the only person from all the press around the world to say it that i've seen and why didn't the opposition point it out? you're telling me out of all the reporters there...none of them saw it and though "Highlanders caught practicing cheating" would make a good story?
You'd be amazed how bad our rugby reporters are.

very close, a few hundred meters, doubt it ever will be, uni wont commit enough money to buy it

also, there were very few collapsed scrums, I thought both teams had very stable scums, I can remember 3 or 4 where neither scrum gave an inch even when the ball was at the back, the ref had to tell them to use it or lose it

you like those TV lawyers that state something inflammatory and then quickly take it back, "of course this don´t mean we lost because of this, but it was truly annoyng." but its already out there waiting for a bite....

in the end it was stuff like loosing 6 of your own lineouts i think at one point 3 in a row, offloads in the tackle where we beat you 17 to 9 and basically just not being clinical enough, you had plenty of territory and possession, just could get over the line that cost the game

well i got there early like an hour and a half before de game. the reporters where there but not payng any attention to the highlanders warm up.
belive it or not i saw they doing it. our reporters suck so bad.
but yes during the game they did collapse de scrum at least 3 times as i describe.
Tv lawyers? i dont know, i was there. if you think i wasnt its up to you. im not taking it back im saying we screw it up in many ways. but the scrum **** happend.
and yes it is annoyng when you are facing a better team who is kicking your ass, and on top of it you have to bear a biased reff.

well i got there early like an hour and a half before de game. the reporters where there but not payng any attention to the highlanders warm up.
belive it or not i saw they doing it. our reporters suck so bad.
but yes during the game they did collapse de scrum at least 3 times as i describe.
Tv lawyers? i dont know, i was there. if you think i wasnt its up to you. im not taking it back im saying we screw it up in many ways. but the scrum **** happend.
and yes it is annoyng when you are facing a better team who is kicking your ass, and on top of it you have to bear a biased reff.

they did an hour and a half of drills including scum practice before the game? probably about an hour more than they have ever done before a game previously

they did an hour and a half of drills including scum practice before the game? probably about an hour more than they have ever done before a game previously

Landers could have done it, but it doesn't change the fact that they were better than us in almost every facet of the game.
Honestly im not mad about losing to a clear better team, even though we could have done it much better.
The first half wasnt that bad, only that Landers made good use of their chances and we we didnt. On the second half we did nothing, and in no moment a come Back was even possible.

Latest posts