South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Lions.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith (captain), 14 Matt Faddes, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Rob Thompson, 11 Patrick Osborne, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Liam Squire, 7 Dan Pryor, 6 Luke Whitelock, 5 Joe Wheeler, 4 Alex Ainley, 3 Siosiua Halanukonuka, 2 Liam Coltman, 1 Brendon Edmonds

Substitutes: 16 Ash Dixon, 17 Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18 Ross Geldenhuys, 19 Elliot Dixon, 20 Shane Christie, 21 Josh Renton, 22 Hayden Parker, 23 Jason Emery

Lions: 15 Jaco Van Der Walt, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Warwick Tecklenberg, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16 Armand Van Der Merwe, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Robert Kruger, 20 Ruan Ackermann, 21 Dillon Smit, 22 Jacques Nel, 23 Andries Coetzee

Last edited:
I see the Lions as having a distinct edge in the forwards in this game and at the same time the Highlanders have that edge in the backs especially with the Lions forced into a new center partnership with Vorster injured and Mapoe back in SA for the birth of his baby (congrats by the way!).

Usually I'd back the team with the edge in the forwards but at home and with the class in those backs I suppose the Highlanders should be firm favorites.

I see the Lions as having a distinct edge in the forwards in this game and at the same time the Highlanders have that edge in the backs especially with the Lions forced into a new center partnership with Vorster injured and Mapoe back in SA for the birth of his baby (congrats by the way!).

Usually I'd back the team with the edge in the forwards but at home and with the class in those backs I suppose the Highlanders should be firm favorites.

That's definitely good news for the Highlanders regarding the Lions backs, it might give them the edge this game. I had the Lions pegged to win this one given the balanced squad the Lions have. The Highlanders forwards are deceptively tough though and show up most of the time. The Landers will need to contain Crombrink and Whitely (they really should be regular Spring Bok players, what's with that?). They managed to contain the Hurricanes outside backs last week and they have turned Dunedin into abit of a fortress, so I'm going to say a tight win to the Highlanders. 27 - 24

That's definitely good news for the Highlanders regarding the Lions backs, it might give them the edge this game. I had the Lions pegged to win this one given the balanced squad the Lions have. The Highlanders forwards are deceptively tough though and show up most of the time. The Landers will need to contain Crombrink and Whitely (they really should be regular Spring Bok players, what's with that?). They managed to contain the Hurricanes outside backs last week and they have turned Dunedin into abit of a fortress, so I'm going to say a tight win to the Highlanders. 27 - 24

It's not as if the new centre pair are less of a threat that the ones not playing. Mnisi for one played in both the previous games and is in my view one of the candidates to be called up to the Springboks if he keeps on performing.

For me this is a very tough call to make and Superbru isn't making it any easier on me with the reminders. So I went with the Highlanders by 4 points. So either result in this match will provide me with some happiness...

It's not as if the new centre pair are less of a threat that the ones not playing. Mnisi for one played in both the previous games and is in my view one of the candidates to be called up to the Springboks if he keeps on performing.

For me this is a very tough call to make and Superbru isn't making it any easier on me with the reminders. So I went with the Highlanders by 4 points. So either result in this match will provide me with some happiness...

I think the Lions will finish top of their group!

Yeah, I have the Highanders by 5. I know I tend to underrate the Highlanders pack. Them and the Aussie packs pitch up more frequently than what my mind expects.

I'm with you that Whiteley and Combrinck should be Bok starters. I have Jaco Kriel, Lionel Mapoe, Faf de klerk and Elton Jantjies also on the Bok radar. I think they issue was that 2014/15 our selectors were very much in RWC mode and not looking at bringing in too many new faces. I also think there is a perception here that the Lions don't play "Bok rugby" which counted against Lions and Cheetahs players.

If anything though I think that perception might count in Lions players' favor going forward as there is a big drive by fans in general and the media for the Springbokke to rather move towards "Lions rugby". I think you'll see more initiative from the 3 traditional "big" SA provinces/franchises as well.

The other thing is of course racial quotas in SA. IMO that's another reason why Faf de Klerk didn't travel alon with the Bokke behind Rudy Paige for instance. Jaco Kriel and Warren Whiteley not only have tough competition for a green jersey from Marcel Coetzee, Duane Vermeulen and Francois Louw who have an edge simply because they've been there before but also the talented black dudes who might also be inexperienced but have an edge when it comes to skin color. Combrinck I'd be surprised if he stands a chance for a back three berth being white considering the competition.

Only time will tell though.

Back on topic despite the outcome I expect a cracking match- can hardly wait! Stormers- Sharks, Hurricanes- Blues; cant wait for these 3 games. I don't think I'm going to bother with the cripple fights (Reb vs Reds, Wolves vs Cheetahs) and probable blow-outs.

The Highlanders generally struggle with the Lions as well. They're two similar teams, both hard working packs with some explosive backs. It's generally the home advantage for either team that seems to be the difference.

The politics in South African rugby really seem to be undermining the Union and crippling it. There's some fantastic players that deserve more of an opportunity for the Spring Bok, also I hope the next regime the Spring Boks want to play more "attacking rugby". They really do have the backs to do it now and a strong loose forward trio and an awesome tight 5, the locks Etzebeth and De Jager are only slightly bested by Rettalick and Whitelock, but that could change this year given some injuries and reshuffling.

EDIT: Warren Whitelys tackling accuracy is at 100% so far this season, an incredible stat on tour and that open game vs the Chiefs. They're keeping ball in hand as well and spent 22% of their possession in their own 22 against the Chiefs. Using their backs effectively and counter attacking strongly, can't wait for this match.

Last edited:
Highlanders going pretty good in this game just when they are starting to strangle the life out of the lions though they give away a silly penalty.

Second half should be interesting Lions are pretty good.

Wow Faddes has had a brilliant game. Good under high ball, intercept and great running play.

Didn't expect this TBH. The score as it stands isn't particularly indicative but its what counts at the end of the day and the Highlanders are looking every bit like defending champions.

Lions just never recovered from that 2 try blitz at the start of the second half. Highlanders very impressive and clinical when given a sniff

Didn't expect this TBH. The score as it stands isn't particularly indicative but its what counts at the end of the day and the Highlanders are looking every bit like defending champions.

I think the Lions are pretty good they just got caught out by a couple of opportunist tries otherwise they'd still be in this. Forwards are pretty even just the Highlanders backs are way more dynamic.

Set piece. Highlanders were awesome there too. That and the electric backline were the differences.

But ridiculous that the Highlanders didn't get a bonus point. Stupid rules are stupid.

Can we please protest to the SRU that this 3 tries clear stuff is nonsense? It's actually a really unenjoyable rule and doesn't feel right what so ever, or add anything of value to the competition other than nonsense and stupidity, why do they continue to attempt to make this competition worse?

May I also point out that Glen Jackson wasnt reffing and the Landers were comfortable.

Everyone time I watch the Lions I wonder why Faf De Klerk isn't the Springbok 9.. Just saying..

The Landers attack is soooo good, soooo exciting! They hit at keys moments, they are so good. Probably the best attack of the NZ conference

May I also point out that Glen Jackson wasnt reffing and the Landers were comfortable.

Noted... The correlation between certain referees and certain teams performances is undeniable imo and its the same at int level aswell.