• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Brumbies vs. Chiefs (Round 6) 02/04/2016

Chiefs officially the benchmark this year after that performance

- - - Updated - - -

Then when Deans was made Wallabies coach, the knives were out for him right from the get-go. The Sydney Suits in the ARU did not want him in the job and did everything they could to undermine him. Add to that the Wallabies reputation for "player power", and really, Deans tenure was doomed from the outset. His record was the equal of Eddie Jones' and, the man who replaced him, Ewen McKenzie - hailed as "the saviour of Wallaby rugby", fared even worse.

This just makes me want to bury my head in the sand and say "In Cheika we trust" :) We had a fairly good world cup but Cheika didn't have to deal with the "3 Amigo" factor that seemed to throw Deans. McKenzie talked a big game and was successful at the Reds, but didn't amount to much and I'm not sure of the facts behind the story but he seemed to fall on his own sword. it will be interesting to see how Cheika goes this year with a few older heads going overseas. he'll have to pick a new squad and blood new players. interesting times.

I do have concerns over Renee coaching the AB's as well. His coaching style that overall has been successful with the chiefs probably isn't whats needed at test level... Heavy rotation, picking obscure players and turning them into really good super rugby players. I honestly think that if the AB's had lost the last WC and weren't playing well. Renee would be a great choice to rebuild and find success. But with the AB's in a situation where they have dominated world rugby for years, basically since 2005 with only a couple of blips along the way. We need to focus on evolution and maintaining momentum. I feel like if Renee came in and became the dominant personality in the AB coaching setup it would inevitably mean big changes, because his style is just so different.

Hmm, I disagree with this mostly, it reads more like a gut feeling and superstition than any real truth.

The Chiefs current backline is the sort of play the All Blacks are known for and I don't expect them to play any differently under Rennie. He's worked for many years with core All Blacks and the future leaders of the team. Cane, Cruden, Rettalick and soon to be future super stars of the game McKenzie, Lowe, Ngatai.

He's worked well with Wayne Smith. He's the perfect choice and there's no other real candidates other than Josef who might do wonders with Japan or might not. But Rennie is logically by a considerable distance the best choice.

maybe its a conservative view, but I still think like when Henry retired the key is maintaining continuity and culture. Since ~2004 we have basically just been getting better and better. Big Changes aren't necessary, until proven otherwise.

But Renee is a smart cookie, If I'm not looking for potential issues then sure. I think he will make a really good AB coach. And I'd rather have him coaching the AB's than one of the overseas kiwi coaches coming back.

But I do like the idea of a coach like Renee coming in as an assistant coach at first. Its worked really well in Hansen's case.

Firstly, in 2001-2003, he was assistant to John Mitchell, who would have to be one of the worst coaches the All Blacks have had in a very long time.

Just to clarify Mitchell is the ultimate **** coach, worst coach in history of international coaches, if he ever tries to come back to NZ I hope his plane crashes and everyone but him survives.

And I'd rather have him coaching the AB's than one of the overseas kiwi coaches coming back.

I'd also rather have him coaching the ABs than some other overseas international team, like Wales, France etc

I'd also rather have him coaching the ABs than some other overseas international team, like Wales, France etc

The NZRU must be looking at a plan to keep him in some way. Out of the NZ super coaches in the last 5 years he has been the outstanding performer.

It certainly must be on the agenda, suppose it really depends on Hansen's plans after 2017

The NZRU must be looking at a plan to keep him in some way. Out of the NZ super coaches in the last 5 years he has been the outstanding performer.

It certainly must be on the agenda, suppose it really depends on Hansen's plans after 2017

Maybe it's not a thing to fear coaches leaving, it can offer more experience for them overseas and if the All Blacks came calling, I'm sure any coach in the World would drop the phone and get the first flight into Auckland.

I'm not overly concerned about them taking up positions overseas if we tie Hansen down until 2019. Hansen needs to make the call sooner rather than later though, because if he decides not to do 2019 after Rennie has taken up a RWC contract for another country in 2019, we could be left reeling. So hopefully everything falls into place soon enough. I think Hansen will stay on until 2019 personally, Rennie may or may not take up an International job by then, the only available one that comes to mind would be Italy, or maybe Wayne Smiths job after the Lions

Maybe it's not a thing to fear coaches leaving, it can offer more experience for them overseas and if the All Blacks came calling, I'm sure any coach in the World would drop the phone and get the first flight into Auckland.

I'm not overly concerned about them taking up positions overseas if we tie Hansen down until 2019. Hansen needs to make the call sooner rather than later though, because if he decides not to do 2019 after Rennie has taken up a RWC contract for another country in 2019, we could be left reeling. So hopefully everything falls into place soon enough. I think Hansen will stay on until 2019 personally, Rennie may or may not take up an International job by then, the only available one that comes to mind would be Italy, or maybe Wayne Smiths job after the Lions

John O'Shea's just taken over as Italy coach.

John O'Shea's just taken over as Italy coach.

What's the club situation like over in England, any big clubs looking to pay big money, any Rennie rumours?

In the next 3 years we'll see what the 6N coughs up, but everyone seems fairly content with their coaches, Schmidt, Cotter, Jones, Gats and France like to recruit internally as well as well Argentina and SA. Cheika will no doubt be staying on and Jones will do a good job with Japan and I can't see Rennie wanting to take a minnow, so I think we might be safe. Also I highly doubt the NZRU will just let him wandering off overseas without having told him about potential future possibilities, can't see him shooting himself in the foot or tying himself down to a position so if the AB's come calling he has to say no.

pocock's ban is only 2 games. I think hes got away with it big time there. What he did was pretty deliberate and dangerous. Pocock has really surprised me lately, I always considered him very much like McCaw, plays hard and pushes the boundaries of the laws and interpretations but otherwise clean, off the field he seems very likable. But the deliberate head stomp on McCaw in the WC final now this? Have to say now he would have to be considered one of Aussies dirtiest players...

Must be frustrating losing all the time though, so maybe the poor boy has had enough :lol:

Latest posts