Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Blues.png
Versus%20Super.png
Hurricanes.png

Venue: Eden Park
Time: 08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Very entertaining match despite the inaccuracy from both teams in patches.

Pretty impressive D from the canes at the end there. I thought the ref was pretty fair at the end there gave the Blues plenty of chances.

Although Blues dumb as ever get Vito sent to the sinbin and dont scrum it..... The mind boggles.

You pull a maul down 5m out fr the line 3 times...surely it's a penalty try??

That's not even mentioning the video ref missing a clear knock on to the canes last try

I know how you feel, @FlukeArtist. I remember how down I felt after the Stormers went down to the 'Canes just last year and well, lets just say they were lucky with a few calls in that game as well.

Its not the worst refereeing I've seen by any means but in such a close encounter one can't say those few calls didn't swing it for the Hurricanes.

Last edited:
I know how you feel, @FlukeArtist. I remember how down I felt after the Stormers went down to the 'Canes just last year and well, lets just say they were lucky with a few calls in that game as well.

I know mate! It's even worse than getting a 30 point hiding losing in those circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Hurricanes are going to show a different main sponsor in every game? Like the Force, they sell every jersey for every game

Blues were the better team for most of the game. Just switched off there for a bit and gave away to many kickable penalties. Attack looks dangerous with West and Moala. I prefer ranger on the wing. I feel Moala can be himself a bit more and Sau is a good balance. D is also pretty tight this week and against crusaders last week (would of got a hiding without). Improvement needed at the breakdown. Allowed savea (unreal game from him) and co to punish us here

Here's my take in the two controversial TMO calls in this match. I'll deal with the easy one first

The no-try forward pass
This was the correct call. The ball was so obviously thrown forward out of the passer's hands, that I have trouble understanding what all the *****ing is about. The passer's hands went forward and the ball went directly forward from his hands. This was about as clear and obvious as a forward pass can get.

The no-knock on try
This one is a bit harder to judge, but IMO, the TMO made the right call, This doesn't mean that ball was not knocked on, only that it is too difficult to tell. The Law says...

[textarea]A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.[/textarea]

... and the clear implication here is that once the player's hand touches the ball, there must be separation between that player's hand/arm and the ball, and then ball next touches the ground (or another player) before it can be ruled a knock on. At no point in the video replay sequence is there a frame or frames that clearly show separation between Savea's hand and the ball, and in the absence of that, the TMO has to rule play on.

As a referee, you can only rule on what you actually see; you cannot rule on what you don't see or think you see!

Latest posts