• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

His match fee would have been £15k.

Yeah don't think Marler's gonna be too worried financially... Going to a good cause and all, so that's a good shout from World Rugby.

Overall happy with the result, bloody ridiculous it took this long though. Should have been sorted the same week as it happened.

Yeah don't think Marler's gonna be too worried financially... Going to a good cause and all, so that's a good shout from World Rugby.

Overall happy with the result, bloody ridiculous it took this long though. Should have been sorted the same week as it happened.

It was until the Wales RFU took it to World Rugby.

Respect to Lee but pathetic episode. Clearly no intent; sanitisation has been tried by many people with their own agenda but common sense usually prevails in the end.

6 Nations Board made the wrong decision. Simple as.

As far as I understand, all the WRU did was express their surprise at the decision. World Rugby were equally as surprised, which is why they stepped in. Really don't think the WRU have that much power over the World Rugby :rolleyes:

Respect to Lee but pathetic episode. Clearly no intent; sanitisation has been tried by many people with their own agenda but common sense usually prevails in the end.

No intent :lol: What's that supposed to mean? Marler did it by accident? I mean I don't believe at all that Marler is a UKIP/BNP loving racist, but what he said was a bloody bone idle thing to do for a professional sportperson / role model to do. What he said was still discriminatory and racially charged (even more so with the caravan comment, if that was true), so really not acceptable and deserving of a punishment.

So should we all be free to shout random racially charged comments at each other if things get a bit heated? I'd certainly be looking at the sack if I ever said something like that in my work.

Last edited:
You posh English c-word!

Can't help but feel that a player from any other country would've gotten off for this. Media outrage (both traditional and, especially, social) of this sort is reserved for the English.

What are the precedents for player fines? Can't see much beyond Potgeiter's AUS$20,000 (half suspended) for the use of "fagg*t".

Next time Marler feels like doing something daft he should just break the law of the land. He could have a good night out in Leicester with a little light lady assault and criminal damage and be £14k in pocket.

Glad it's all over.

Last edited:
You posh English c-word!

Can't help but feel that a player from any other country would've gotten off for this. Media outrage (both traditional and, especially, social) of this sort is reserved for the English.

Right. Because that comment's apparently the same as being racist :rolleyes: And to be fair, Marler is English, and was being a bit of a c*** by y'now, being racist and all...

I'm sure plenty of English players have called Welsh/Irish/Scottish/Australian/Whatever players "you *insert-nationality-here* c***" and not had any reprimand.

I'll agree that the ref should step in and give the player a bollocking if he picks up language like that (many a ref does do that), as even though I don't have that much of a problem with the c word, I know plenty of people out there do.

(c) acts or statements that are, or conduct that is, discriminatory by reason of religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, colour or national or ethnic origin;

So "Gypsy boy" is

And "English ****" isn't?

Oh to get oneself on a list of protected groups. Cognitive dissonance at societal level.

To be fair I guess no one has confirmed the Lee called him a ****.

(c) acts or statements that are, or conduct that is, discriminatory by reason of religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, colour or national or ethnic origin;

So "Gypsy boy" is

And "English ****" isn't?

Oh to get oneself on a list of protected groups. Cognitive dissonance at societal level.

To be fair I guess no one has confirmed the Lee called him a ****.

Didn't know that tbf, so I'll hold my hands up.

But at the same time, still don't see it as anywhere near being the same as not one, but (reportedly via lipreading) two racial slurs towards a protected race (as you pointed out) - one that has been actively hunted at some point of history, and faces discrimination and just general hatred from large parts of the general population.

Seriously though, do the English ever really and truly suffer discrimination? Being English is a bleedin' fortunate thing considering world history.

Some of the excuses made by people on this subject have genuinely make me angry. The "PC" gone mad, happened in the heat of the moment so it's ok, all set a bloody dangerous precedent to allow these things to go on.

Last edited:
I thought Romani Gypsies were a protected race - surely choosing to live in a caravan isn't the same?

Last edited:
I thought Romani Gypsies were a protected race - surely choosing to live in a caravan isn't the same?

Was gonna say - regardless of what the law says, I don't think most people would consider Gypsy to be an ethnic/racial term.

Maybe one rung below Chav.

Irish Traveler and Romani are both protected. Pretty well documented that Lee is proud of his background in the Traveler community. Not ever been stated exactly 100% what his background is. Not sure if it makes a difference either. What Marler said is still racist, even if he himself is not.

Was gonna say - regardless of what the law says, I don't think most people would consider Gypsy to be an ethnic/racial term.

Maybe one rung below Chav.

Exactly that.
I grew up in the countryside and I don't think you'd find anyone around here that thought that "gypsy" is a race, they're groups that came to our village two or three times a year, completely trashed/ruined a field and broke into our garages.
"Romani Gypsy"? 100%.
Gypsy? Nope.

Irish Traveler and Romani are both protected. Pretty well documented that Lee is proud of his background in the Traveler community. Not ever been stated exactly 100% what his background is. Not sure if it makes a difference either. What Marler said is still racist, even if he himself is not.

How many more times? What Marler said was not racist, it was discriminatory, and in the circumstances it was unsporting. He should not have said what he did, even he has admitted that, he was an idiot. He wasn't the only one but he was heard to say it and that's against the rules of the game so he has been punished.

How many more times? What Marler said was not racist, it was discriminatory, and in the circumstances it was unsporting. He should not have said what he did, even he has admitted that, he was an idiot. He wasn't the only one but he was heard to say it and that's against the rules of the game so he has been punished.

Ych... what the hell is the difference between racist and discriminatory language towards a particular race?! Go in hand in hand in my book.

Happy he's got the punishment for being daft, and happy it was reduced for the genuine remorse the guy showed - as I have stated do not believe he is racist. Said something bloody stupid in the heat of the moment and rightly got punished. What I was never happy with was the 6 Nations clearing him, or some of the defense / excuses people on here and elsewhere have built around it. It's pretty bullsh*t and really disheartening to read.

I really can't be bothered with this anymore, and am gonna leave it to rest as the whole circus has finally come to the end it should have reached a long f*cking time ago.

Latest posts