• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

Shaun Edwards says he can't understand how England beat Wales after they scored 3 tries to England's 1.

"I am not under any illusions that we weren't on our game in that first-half. But I still can't get my head around how you can score three tries, they score one and we lose."

Asked if it was just a bad day at the office defensively, Edwards added: "It would seem that, because as a defence we are still in with a chance of conceding the least tries in the competition.

"We have conceded five, England have conceded four. If we can manage to pull off a try-less game on Saturday, the pressure will be on England to keep France out."

Someone needs to pull him to one side and explain how the scoring works in Rugby Union and about those things called penalties.

Shaun Edwards says he can't understand how England beat Wales after they scored 3 tries to England's 1.

"I am not under any illusions that we weren't on our game in that first-half. But I still can't get my head around how you can score three tries, they score one and we lose."

Asked if it was just a bad day at the office defensively, Edwards added: "It would seem that, because as a defence we are still in with a chance of conceding the least tries in the competition.

"We have conceded five, England have conceded four. If we can manage to pull off a try-less game on Saturday, the pressure will be on England to keep France out."

Someone needs to pull him to one side and explain how the scoring works in Rugby Union and about those things called penalties.

Just... ych.

Literally sounds like his head is firmly stuck in league!

Yeah because we give a damn about how many try's we concede on Saturday compared to Wales.

There's nothing to prove here other than winning and getting the grand slam all other factors are just grapes.

Yeah, you can never underestimate how difficult it is in international rugby to try and catch up with a 19 point lead at half time. He's also forgetting that Wales scored 2 of their tries when England were down to 14.

I was just reading up on some stats from the game. Cuthbert attempted 4 tackles. He missed 4 tackles. He needs to go!! I don't get why the management can't see how poor his defence is. In the past it has been blatantly obvious that he is a huge weakness but we've managed to hold out and get victories with him in the team. But England exploited the f*** out of him on the weekend. I was a nervous wreck every time England counter attacked or darted around rucks on that blind side. Cuthbert would rush up like a lunatic every time and just slide off every player like butter. Fair play to England and the management, they really did a job on him, I'm not sure why we haven't seen more teams try that more often tbh.

But literally ANYBODY is better than Cuthbert at the moment. I would be more than happy for Lloyd Williams to be starting there. We might have seen another genius chip up the field to Davies if he had been.

Yeah, you can never underestimate how difficult it is in international rugby to try and catch up with a 19 point lead at half time. He's also forgetting that Wales scored 2 of their tries when England were down to 14.

I was just reading up on some stats from the game. Cuthbert attempted 4 tackles. He missed 4 tackles. He needs to go!! I don't get why the management can't see how poor his defence is. In the past it has been blatantly obvious that he is a huge weakness but we've managed to hold out and get victories with him in the team. But England exploited the f*** out of him on the weekend. I was a nervous wreck every time England counter attacked or darted around rucks on that blind side. Cuthbert would rush up like a lunatic every time and just slide off every player like butter. Fair play to England and the management, they really did a job on him, I'm not sure why we haven't seen more teams try that more often tbh.

But literally ANYBODY is better than Cuthbert at the moment. I would be more than happy for Lloyd Williams to be starting there. We might have seen another genius chip up the field to Davies if he had been.

And that one was scored from a lucky chargedown after a terrible pass from Youngs.

What a load of defensive nonsense (no pun intended).

2 penalties > 1 try. QED.

If his defence is reliant on giving away kickable penalties in order to prevent the opposition scoring tries, maybe it is not as bright as he is trying to make out. Anyway, I look forward to seeing him presented with the prestigious "least tries conceded in the tournament" trophy!

I like edwards but this is laughable. He's defending himself because defensively wales were all over the shop, particularly on the short side.

The missed tackles stats for the backs make for horror reading.

England weren't at their best in defence either to be fair, evidenced by the build up to Coles yellow card, nowells struggles with north and cowan dickies poor effort at the end.

Also add into the factor England probably had one legit try disallowed possibly 2.

That's what I find most funny when certain elements of the Welsh population treat it as is they basically won. A whole stream of "ifs" like IF the assistant ref hadn't said North was in touch, that was a definite try (more likely williams would have just been bundled out as he was facing 3 english defenders), IF a Welsh try hadn't been disallowed for a forward pass etc. Completely ignoring IF Coles try had been given, if ford had fixed the defender the popped the pass to Watson, if Brown had gone for the corner, if Francis had had a yellow. Kinda annoying when teams list all the if's that would have favoured their team whilst completely ignoring all the ifs for the opposing team. No team scored a worked try against England with 15 men on the field. If we had not had the yellow, we may have kept out the other 2 welsh tries. All ifs.

I still don't get why they arnt mentioning cuthbert, I've seen gatland slate people publicly for much less. Then he goes on to say Amos for cuthbert for the Italy game was ENFORCED due to injury. It's absolutely bananas, I'm all for getting behind the team but any rugby fan could see he is useless at the moment, need to stop picking people on past reputation, he has had maybe 2 'good' games in the past 3 years

It ain't over folks...here is a World Ruby announcement re Marler's "Gypsy Boy comment

[TEXTAREA]"World Rugby has confirmed that England’s Joe Marler will face an independent World Rugby misconduct hearing for comments made towards Wales’ Samson Lee during the RBS 6 Nations match at Twickenham on 12 March.
World Rugby is of the view that the comments amount to misconduct and/or a breach of the code of conduct under World Rugby Regulation 20 and should have been considered by an independent process.
In the absence of such a process by Six Nations Rugby, World Rugby is exercising its right to take appropriate action before an independent judicial committee.
The RFU (the player’s union) and Six Nations Rugby have been informed and the case will be heard by an independent judicial committee as soon as practically possible. Details will be announced in due course and the player is free to continue playing in the interim"[/TEXTAREA]

And here is the relevant bit of Regulation 20

[TEXTAREA]20.4 While it is not possible to provide a definitive and exhaustive list of the types of conduct, behaviour, statements or practices that may amount to Misconduct under these Regulations, by way of illustration, each of the following types of conduct, behaviour, statements or practices however or wheresoever undertaken are examples of and constitute Misconduct:

(a) acts of violence or intimidation within the venue in which the Match is being played including (without limitation) the tunnel, changing
rooms and/or warm-up areas;

(b) acting in an abusive, insulting, intimidating or offensive manner towards referees, assistant referees, Citing Commissioners,
members of Disciplinary Tribunals or other officials or any person associated with the Host Union, the Rugby Body or the Unions
participating in the Match or spectators;

(c) acts or statements that are, or conduct that is, discriminatory by reason of religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, colour or national or ethnic origin;
[/TEXTAREA]

Entry level is four weeks. I expect he'll get one or two off for the early public apology and personal apology to Lee.

I'm still amazed 6 nations rugby didn't think he had anything to answer for....I have no idea why it's taken world rugby to come to that conclusion either.

I'm still amazed 6 nations rugby didn't think he had anything to answer for....I have no idea why it's taken world rugby to come to that conclusion either.

Depends how long the Six Nations took to hand over their documents I suppose. Does seem baffling.

It's a shame World Rugby can't fine the 6N to drive home the point here. Or at least, they can't that I know of.

The whole Marler issue has exposed the shortcomings of the administration behind the 6 Nations, that keeps it a tournament firmly mired in the past.
Hats off to world rugby for creating a level playing field.

Don't know if it's true but I saw on social media it's taken so long because Lee was using "less than savoury language" about Marler's nationality as well.

Don't know if it's true but I saw on social media it's taken so long because Lee was using "less than savoury language" about Marler's nationality as well.
That would be hilarious if true.

Speaking as an English lady part, I find this highly offensive. Hopefully St Jean Tarquin Fotherington-Carstairs of the Posh English Lady Part Alliance will be speaking out shortly on behalf of this oft discriminated against minority!

Latest posts