• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: France vs. Ireland (13/02/2016)

So here's the French team :
Médard ; Thomas, Mermoz, Danty, Vakatawa ; (o) Plisson, (m) Bézy ; Camara, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Maestri ; Atonio, Guirado (cap), Poirot.
Replacements : Chat, Ben Arous, Slimani, Jedrasiak, Goujon, Machenaud, Doussain, Bonneval.

Some changes. Two new props, so the front row looks solid enough; Flanquart in the 2nd row; Camara on the flank - which is good news!; Mermoz at centre for Fickou; Thomas on the wing.
However, Chouly at 8 is not right - Novès should have gone with Goujon.
I'm pleased that the half backs have been retained - hopefully for each match of the 6N.
Maybe we'll sneak a win!

France's XV
1.Poirot 2.Guirado 3.Atonio
4.Maestri 5.Flanquart
6.Lauret 8.Chouly 7.Camara
9. Bézy 10. Plisson
11.Vakatawa 12.Danty 13.Mermoz 14.Thomas
15.Médard
Novès is fielding a very experimental side, with Poirot and Atonio starting. Flanquart in for Jedrasiak, that's surprise as well. Our back row looks fairly weak with Chouly in at 8, he's suck a downgrade from Picamoles. Fickou is out for personal reasons, Mermoz is in, but at ourtside center -he's normally more of a playmaking 12. Thomas replaces Bonneval for whatever reason, he's replacing the injured Fall and Grosso, who were replacing the injured Huget and is himself coming off from injury. Weird decision, he hasn't played a full game in months.
Not the most inspiring team, also 6 changes is a lot, for a team that didn't have any collective experience.
If Ireland is at its bruising best, we shouldn't stand a stance. If we click defensively and are solid at the breakground and in the scrum it could be close.

they will step up to the mark if they want to continue as Internationals, Noves will have already informed them of it. Looks good enough to me nothing is ever perfect and the Irish are now a very worried Nation after reading my previous posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snails and Trotters no less!!!!!!!! hope they remember to bring sandwiches,(not allowed in the Stadium terrrorist threat)

Can someone do some detective work for me and tell me is Poirot any good (see what i did there:)). Antonio is a monster but from memory he's not a brilliant scrummager. Poirot any better?

For those who were worried, McFadden is with Leinster tomorrow as are Healy, Ross, Cronin and VDF.

Jefferson Poirot (yes, Jefferson!) is apparently highly regarded by Yannick Bru, the French forwards coach. He plays for Bordeaux - Bègles. According to Rugbyrama he's 1m82 and 118kg.
His co-prop Atonio, however is a lump - 1m97 and 142kg. Is he a brilliant scrummager? Can't answer that but he's been picked so he can't be that bad!

France's XV
1.Poirot 2.Guirado 3.Atonio
4.Maestri 5.Flanquart
6.Lauret 8.Chouly 7.Camara
9. Bézy 10. Plisson
11.Vakatawa 12.Danty 13.Mermoz 14.Thomas
15.Médard
Novès is fielding a very experimental side, with Poirot and Atonio starting. Flanquart in for Jedrasiak, that's surprise as well. Our back row looks fairly weak with Chouly in at 8, he's suck a downgrade from Picamoles. Fickou is out for personal reasons, Mermoz is in, but at ourtside center -he's normally more of a playmaking 12. Thomas replaces Bonneval for whatever reason, he's replacing the injured Fall and Grosso, who were replacing the injured Huget and is himself coming off from injury. Weird decision, he hasn't played a full game in months.
Not the most inspiring team, also 6 changes is a lot, for a team that didn't have any collective experience.
If Ireland is at its bruising best, we shouldn't stand a stance. If we click defensively and are solid at the breakground and in the scrum it could be close.

Chistera it's an experimental side like you said. Noves is not looking for a result. He's taking the pressure off of himself and his players.

He knows he won't get results short term against experienced outfits but he may get the performance he needs to get the ball rolling and create the mindset and style he wants. I like the younsters he's picked so far. And the spring cleaning the group's going thru.

with Chouly in at 8, he's suck a downgrade from Picamoles.

I think Chouly who is the oldest now will go eventually. He's in at 8 because Pica is out not because NOves thinks he's an 8 (he isn't). But with many senior players out he needs him to transition over this 6N as he can't cap youngsters in every line at the same time.

This is what I've said about his communication so far has been about preparing the press and public for a lack of result. The press is yabbering about results '1st win of Noves era' blabla - he is not.

Last edited:
Spoke to soon, McFadden in the 23 shirt, Zebo and Earls not fully fit.

Thats a shocking selection from Schmidt. Thee most conservative ever from an Irish coach.

If it wins it's good and I definitely think Schmidt is looking for the three in a row over blooding new players, leave that for matches that can't win you a trophy I suppose... But, yeah, I don't like the selections at 3, 19, 21 and 23. Considering throwing a few quid on another draw for this match, I don't see us losing but not sure if that backline can close out a win.

F__k sake.

Back to the days where injuries are the only way new players are blooded - only now it appears veteran mediocre Leinster squad players are also an obstruction to youth.

I really thought we had moved on from all that. :mad:

Whats wrong with it?

There are much better, younger players to choose from. McCloskey, Matt Healy, Rory Scholes, etc. Marmion gets dropped for the out of form Reddan, White keeps his place after getting minced in the scrum last week. He brings in Leinster reserves instead. It sends out a bad message.

I've good time for McFadden but well he shouldn't be on bench I was fully in support of him being called in to squad but if Earls and Zebo were as bad as they turned out to be Ringrose or Gilroy should've been in. As Madigan can cover centre if Gilroy was on bench and Ringrose has played wing in past if he were there.

Won't slam Schmidt though.

TOD was always going to miss out as I suppose Schmidt feels Ruddock is more versatile.
Hooker and Scrum Half were strange calls but well it is what it is.
Rest he wasn't really left with tons of alternatives.
As for guys like Scholes I don't count them as they weren't in original squad.

Like I know you can slam White last week but Ross isn't fit.

The biggest fear will be 6 day turn around

- - - Updated - - -

If it wins it's good and I definitely think Schmidt is looking for the three in a row over blooding new players, leave that for matches that can't win you a trophy I suppose... But, yeah, I don't like the selections at 3, 19, 21 and 23. Considering throwing a few quid on another draw for this match, I don't see us losing but not sure if that backline can close out a win.

Ryan made a good contribution last week. Why'd you have issue there?

I've good time for McFadden but well he shouldn't be on bench I was fully in support of him being called in to squad but if Earls and Zebo were as bad as they turned out to be Ringrose or Gilroy should've been in. As Madigan can cover centre if Gilroy was on bench and Ringrose has played wing in past if he were there.

Won't slam Schmidt though.

TOD was always going to miss out as I suppose Schmidt feels Ruddock is more versatile.
Hooker and Scrum Half were strange calls but well it is what it is.
Rest he wasn't really left with tons of alternatives.
As for guys like Scholes I don't count them as they weren't in original squad.

Like I know you can slam White last week but Ross isn't fit.

The biggest fear will be 6 day turn around

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan made a good contribution last week. Why'd you have issue there?
I think it's a game where we can have rotation there, not my biggest gripe by any means but having two rows who are well into their thirties when there are other in form options ten years younger doesn't really sit right with me.

I think it's a game where we can have rotation there, not my biggest gripe by any means but having two rows who are well into their thirties when there are other in form options ten years younger doesn't really sit right with me.
Well D. Ryan is probably going to go to next RWC so again don't know why you'd drop him out after making a very good cameo last week.

If I'm being honest the selections say France are going to try run at us and around us. We are going to try kick over them and make it a chess match.

- - - Updated - - -

Tommy O'Donnell is on bench as it's said SOB can cover 6 and Stander 8

There are much better, younger players to choose from. McCloskey, Matt Healy, Rory Scholes, etc. Marmion gets dropped for the out of form Reddan, White keeps his place after getting minced in the scrum last week. He brings in Leinster reserves instead. It sends out a bad message.

McFadden is a good player. Gets a bad rap but he's a good player. The back three will work in our favour this week. Medard was all over the place last week and the French wings are hardly known as good positional defenders. Kearney will kick, the wings will chase, they'll make mistakes and we'll win the game. I'll take that over any obsession at throwing untested international players in at the deep end.

White wasn't minced in the scrum either. He's a better scrummager than Furlong imo. Furlong perhaps adds more in the loose but its a marginal call and trust Schmidt knows his job better than us randomers on a forum.

I agree Reddan shouldn't be in the 23 but he's actually been ok (only ok) this season. Absolutely **** the previous two but ok this season.

Very excited by our back row. I'd say Seanie is chomping at the bit.

McFadden is a good player. Gets a bad rap but he's a good player. The back three will work in our favour this week. Medard was all over the place last week and the French wings are hardly known as good positional defenders. Kearney will kick, the wings will chase, they'll make mistakes and we'll win the game. I'll take that over any obsession at throwing untested international players in at the deep end.

White wasn't minced in the scrum either. He's a better scrummager than Furlong imo. Furlong perhaps adds more in the loose but its a marginal call and trust Schmidt knows his job better than us randomers on a forum.

I agree Reddan shouldn't be in the 23 but he's actually been ok (only ok) this season. Absolutely **** the previous two but ok this season.

Very excited by our back row. I'd say Seanie is chomping at the bit.

Even them most loyal Leinster fans would disagree with you on Reddan. He's been very poor this year and McGrath has outperformed him by a bit.
Regards McFadden he's good yes but not at level of others anymore. And I think you under rate the French a bit. They'll have an extra week together, fresher bodies and will test us massively out wide too. We aren't the greatest defensively out there on wings either Saturday and lack a lot of pace. It's 2 contrasting styles.
Regards White at scrum statistically it was said he was the worst 3 of the opening weekend at scrum time.

Latest posts