• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 RBS Six Nations Predictions

I think you underestimate POC's leadership and overestimate the guys left.

Well as I said there will be leadership deficit. PO'C is up there as one of the best leaders Ireland and possibly any country has had. I just think it can be overstated how much leadership is worth, that's not to say it's not an important quality btw.

However, McGrath, Best, Ruddock, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and Kearney have all been recognised as good to very good leaders.

I don't think the loss is going to be some insurmountable challenge is basically what I'm saying.

In fairness you've little evidence for that.

Ireland are defending 6N's champions, had a brilliant performance in the WC and are an established tough nut to crack.

France and England are starting from scratch and will be looking to impress their new coaches. Also, the form of the English and French clubs might carry over to the national set ups.

Arguably the Scots showed as much form as anyone in the WC and were robbed in not making the semis.

Given the injuries Wales had an admirable WC but i see nothing spectacular in their form. A kick of the ball beat England and as expected they failed against the SH sides. How that qualifies them as the in form side i'm not sure.

I'm Welsh of course and we all harbour slight bias no matter how hard we try but evidence wise am I far wrong?

Wales had a poor period against England in the 6 Nations but from there went on to find some fine s arguable that we would have won the 6n had we kicked off last against Italy. As it was we effectively told both England and Ireland to throw conservatism out of the window and go for broke but it is what it is, the fixtures are what they are. Ireland won because they deserved to win.

Since then the full Welsh team looked mighty impressive against Ireland in the final ful squad warm up for RWC. I thought we looked as strong as I have seen us up front in years in that game.

Injuries ripped the well-documented 'poor squad depth' to shreds yet somehow the players dubbed inferior by the media all seemed to step up. Wales blew it against the Aussies again and to be fair were a hairs breadth from beating the Boks - of course only the win counts.

So for me out of the 6N teams I think we had the best World Cup even without the injuries but throw them into the mix and our performance was remarkable

So now we head into 6N 2016 with pretty much a full first 15. If Warburton doesnt make it, Tipuric is in blinding form anyway. Davies is now neck and neck with Webb at 9 and I'd argue that if Williams plays, he is a better 15 than Halfpenny and Biggar is only a fraction behind him as a kicker anyway.
Cuthburt has been abject but Tom James is as big, and In spectacular form, and we have our first choice centres (although I'd prefer Williams/Davies at 12/13 myself.

It's down to Gatland. The team is there, bang in form, full strength and after Twickenham should not have any fear about being In Ireland, or back to Twickenham for that matter. If Gatland learns from RWC and plays with just that little bit more creativity - he doesn't have to re-write his formula - we could go very well indeed.

First up in Ireland suits us because I truly believe they will suffer from post--POC Blues. Any team would struggle to replace the man, he was more integral to the Oirish way than even BOD.

So yeah, I think the evidence is there but of course we could get torn a new one in Ireland and I will look a right chump...

To be a fortune teller eh!

Well as I said there will be leadership deficit. PO'C is up there as one of the best leaders Ireland and possibly any country has had. I just think it can be overstated how much leadership is worth, that's not to say it's not an important quality btw.

However, McGrath, Best, Ruddock, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and Kearney have all been recognised as good to very good leaders.

I don't think the loss is going to be some insurmountable challenge is basically what I'm saying.

It's not an insurmountable challenge but again, not an instant fix either. I don't recognise any of those POC qualities in the above. Strangely, Warburton is nothing like POC leadership-wise but seems to be an inspirational skipper nonetheless. In Wales' case, AWJ will step in and provide the POC like leader when needed.

POC is not irreplaceable but it will take Ireland a while to get over his loss I think. If we lost AWJ I think we would show it.

I'm Welsh of course and we all harbour slight bias no matter how hard we try but evidence wise am I far wrong?

Wales had a poor period against England in the 6 Nations but from there went on to find some fine s arguable that we would have won the 6n had we kicked off last against Italy. As it was we effectively told both England and Ireland to throw conservatism out of the window and go for broke but it is what it is, the fixtures are what they are. Ireland won because they deserved to win.

Since then the full Welsh team looked mighty impressive against Ireland in the final ful squad warm up for RWC. I thought we looked as strong as I have seen us up front in years in that game.

Injuries ripped the well-documented 'poor squad depth' to shreds yet somehow the players dubbed inferior by the media all seemed to step up. Wales blew it against the Aussies again and to be fair were a hairs breadth from beating the Boks - of course only the win counts.

So for me out of the 6N teams I think we had the best World Cup even without the injuries but throw them into the mix and our performance was remarkable

So now we head into 6N 2016 with pretty much a full first 15. If Warburton doesnt make it, Tipuric is in blinding form anyway. Davies is now neck and neck with Webb at 9 and I'd argue that if Williams plays, he is a better 15 than Halfpenny and Biggar is only a fraction behind him as a kicker anyway.
Cuthburt has been abject but Tom James is as big, and In spectacular form, and we have our first choice centres (although I'd prefer Williams/Davies at 12/13 myself.

It's down to Gatland. The team is there, bang in form, full strength and after Twickenham should not have any fear about being In Ireland, or back to Twickenham for that matter. If Gatland learns from RWC and plays with just that little bit more creativity - he doesn't have to re-write his formula - we could go very well indeed.

First up in Ireland suits us because I truly believe they will suffer from post--POC Blues. Any team would struggle to replace the man, he was more integral to the Oirish way than even BOD.

So yeah, I think the evidence is there but of course we could get torn a new one in Ireland and I will look a right chump...

To be a fortune teller eh!

I don't accept any of that as concrete evidence that Wales are THE form side though. Its optimism to me. Don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with that but i could do the same for Ireland...

I could highlight the fact Ireland have been the best for two seasons running now. Turn the WC argument on its head and say the players are hungry to make amends. Had two thirds possession and territory in the Millenium Stadium last year in the only game they lost (you'll win 90% of games with that much domination). etc....

I suppose my point is it remains to be seen who are 'THE form team in the NH'.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Ireland lose against the first decent side they came up against?

Did they? You tell me? I thought their performance against France would have accounted for most teams.

Did they? You tell me? I thought their performance against France would have accounted for most teams.

twas against the worst French team in history. Ireland are kidding themselves about winning the 6N - it's a nice competition but produces substandard rugby. The WC showed that.

Imo Wales are the favourites for the trophy . Ignoring the bookies whose odds are altered by people putting money on etc . The only thing is Wales don't perform well as favourites (see Cardiff vs England last year) France and England will be unknown teams and Ireland have some real quality even Scotland have improved beyond measure . It's anyone's bar Italy if you ask me

twas against the worst French team in history. Ireland are kidding themselves about winning the 6N - it's a nice competition but produces substandard rugby. The WC showed that.
I actually agree with this. NZ stuck more than half a ton on that France side and it took our very best effort. Winning the 6nations without a slam is only worth bragging rights too, we won in the last two years because we hammered a hapless Scotland and beat Wales by 20 the year before. PD doesn't mean **** over 5 games.

The championship is Wales Ireland England in any order u fancy - it's almost like a 2-tier competition

Scotland will catch one and maybe 2 sides cold and they could upset the top 3

I've a suspicion - completely unfounded, that when we expect France to be crap, they perform!
This season they have 3 games at home and Wales and Scotland away.
I don't think there'll be a Slam this time, but I'd put a fiver on France to win it!

ps. I'm more optimistic than Frenchfan!!

playing at home is a double edge sword, as they have the pressure of performing in Paris - this pressure is just going right along the ridiculous expectations fuelled by the medias.

They'll be hard selling the national team to everyone who wants to buy. The union are so sad. They actually believe their own BS when the reality is Noves doesn't stand a chance. He's got everything lining up against him.

Tis true that the Parisian crowd are impatient and quickly turn against their team if they don't perform.
However, I'm all for giving Noves a chance to see what he can do in his first season.

I've a suspicion - completely unfounded, that when we expect France to be crap, they perform!
This season they have 3 games at home and Wales and Scotland away.
I don't think there'll be a Slam this time, but I'd put a fiver on France to win it!

ps. I'm more optimistic than Frenchfan!!

I'm optimistic about issues that justifies optimism :). There's many of them. The WC has thrown up many exciting youngsters and force clubs to dip in their academy. The clubs are also looking at their recruitment policies. That's positive.

On the opposite end, the union are flogging a dead horse with the national team. Let them. They are on their own.

Last edited:
My only prediction is that Scotland will really annoy the "top three" in some way. IMO they really deserved to make it to the final 4 of the WC.

People have always said this about France, it's been sounding more and more hollow the last few years.

When was the last time France really pulled a performance out the bag out of nowhere? The last I can remember is an Autumn international against the ABs, maybe 4 years ago? And they didn't even win that game.

Wales, ire, eng all can win it. Will come down to points again . If wales can beat ireland next sunday only eng can stop them from slam....

People have always said this about France, it's been sounding more and more hollow the last few years.

When was the last time France really pulled a performance out the bag out of nowhere? The last I can remember is an Autumn international against the ABs, maybe 4 years ago? And they didn't even win that game.

Can't disagree with that. Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that with Guy Novès, whose coaching record - albeit at club level, is second to none, can begin to turn things around. But as the man himself has said, it's not going to happen at once.
If France can win three matches in the 6N, then I'll be happy. The French press however, will no doubt be expecting nothing less than a Grand Slam!

Can't disagree with that. Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that with Guy Novès, whose coaching record - albeit at club level, is second to none, can begin to turn things around. But as the man himself has said, it's not going to happen at once.
If France can win three matches in the 6N, then I'll be happy. The French press however, will no doubt be expecting nothing less than a Grand Slam!

Noves has been crap for the last five years at ST and this was his "nice" exit from the job without losing face!

Some of his signings over the last few years have been laughable and his team tactics appalling!

If I did not know better, and who does, one would have to wonder if player power was taking over......not assisted by the arch plotter Imanol!!

No chance Noves will make any difference............especially with the interference of the FFR and, yes my mate, Blanco!!!!! Now there is someone you should take lessons from!!!!!

Latest posts