• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

God how did they not know that was a try Butter and Woodward Jesus.....

- - - Updated - - -

Okay joking aside. Usually I'd be angry is GB had lost like that especially rugby but you have to just sit back and applaud the brilliance of the Fijians we were comprehensively beaten in all aspects. Absolutely and 100% completely deserved take a bow Fiji you earned it.

Congratulations to Fiji! Comfortably the better side there, and I'm delighted for them to get the Gold.
Pre games I'd have bitten your arm off for a silver medal so I'm not too upset!

I'm just so glad that a team actually playing 7s rugby won that. Kicking long and trying to dominate contact is 15s; manipulating space and keeping the ball alive is what wins at 7s. 15 years ago, everyone knew this; hell, 2 years ago, everyone knew this, it just gets forgotten to allow some 15s players to feel superior, whilst demonstrating that they're not.

Congratulations Fiji, it was a very loving, tender, and entertaining prison rape.

Personally I hope it makes us take 7s far more seriously rather than a.couple of days of mucking about.

Love the end of this quote by Ben Ryan.

London-born Fiji coach Ben Ryan: "It's amazing. You can't see I'm smiling - it probably stops me from crying. They saved the best until last. They played some staggeringly good stuff. We wanted to showcase the way Fijian sport can be played and wanted to put smiles on everyone's face.

"The entire population - towns and village - will be under siege in Fiji now.

"I consider what I do now, but Fiji sevens always knew I'd step away for a while now. But hey, I'll be the first Fiji sevens coach to not be sacked."

- - - Updated - - -

One thought does this mean Fiji are better at rugby than NZ now?

Not even looking at rugby, for a country of under a million people to get an Olympic gold is a crazy thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And with that said big up Kosovo apparently...

I don't know that he'd do anything other than 7's... I think he really dislikes the way modern Union is played.

Not even looking at rugby, for a country of under a million people to get an Olympic gold is a crazy thing.

And what's more, to get it in a TEAM discipline is much, much more impressive. You can always train one individual to the highest level (or even don't have to do that, as your citizen can train his/her all life abroad, like e.g. many swimmers from all over the world train in the US) - but to get a winning TEAM is a totally different story. Look how rare it is for smaller and poorer countries to achieve anything in team disciplines. There's a number of medals won by individual runners, shooters, wrestlers, weightlifters, judokas etc., but barely any team medal. Even mid-sized countries rarely win olympic gold in team sports (my country, Poland, won only one gold in volleyball 40 years ago, I hope the team can repeat this in Rio, we are world champions in volleyball right now).

I don't know that he'd do anything other than 7's... I think he really dislikes the way modern Union is played.
He said this might be it for him in 7s, and that he'd be interested in XVs.
If he stays in 7s I could see him going for a smaller side and seeing how much he could improve them.
Once you've won everything there is to win everything's a step down so you might as well go for a different type of challenge.

Latest posts