• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

Keep in mind that we changed most of our team for the last group game against Australia as we already had the qualification wrapped up. In the Quarters we played with all of Afrika, Brown and the likes again and it showed.
but if you want to win your whole squad has to be good. In the first group game we only got one attacking opportunity and then it was knock on after knock on and the ref trying gain some widespread publicity by becoming the center of attention of the game.
That french ref keeps on calling the players back if it the tap was not exactly taken on the spot. Thus nullifying the counter attack and limiting the attack of both teams. In the GB vs Argentina game that guy just kept blowing the whistle for the most petty of offences this guy should really go look at how the other refs are managing the games and take some tips.

Yeah, I have to say the standard of the 7's referees are atrocious at the Olympics. Especially that French fellow and the Blitzbokke's nemesis Frederico Anselmi.

Sometimes I think that they just blow the whistle to give themselves a breather...

Kok played against Australia in the pool match, and in the QF he was the water boy. I think his match fitness isn't where it's supposed to be yet. Du Preez is injured. I have to say that De Jongh is doing a great job in organizing our defence. Without him we wouldn't have been so solid against Australia in the QF.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even notice Kok. I suppose that says everything one needs to know.

We are all seeing this as a three horse race. What are the chances Japan surprise us all and take gold?

GB should take bronze. SA and Fiji need gold. Wouldn't it be grand for Fiji to take this gold but as awesome as that would be I really do want us to get it as we don't have a single gold yet! Usually we pick up a couple early in the pool.

Last edited:
and the ref trying gain some widespread publicity by becoming the center of attention of the game.
That french ref keeps on calling the players back if it the tap was not exactly taken on the spot. Thus nullifying the counter attack and limiting the attack of both teams. In the GB vs Argentina game that guy just kept blowing the whistle for the most petty of offenses this guy should really go look at how the other refs are managing the games and take some tips.

I thought it was only me.....he's not bad he's an idiot trying to be a part of the game.
Still, we lost a game. If we want gold we should win games like that.

This is such a strange field in the golf... Can't see past Henrick Stenson, the course looks made for him.

That field is made for the big hitters... I just saw a player from Thailand (big guy) reach the green on a par 4 from the tee...

Maybe Patrick Reed has also a good chance.

So can we Saffers bank on the support of all the NZ'ers and Ausies for the next few 7's games???:lol:

Silver in the Womens Double Sculls. Great feat considering Katherine Grainger took 2 years out and effectively came back from scratch. Grainger now out most decorated Femal Olympian, 4 (Sydney, Athens, Beijiing and Rio) silvers and 1 (London) Gold if my maths serves me right

I'm not really a regular Vice reader, but this was pointed out to me, and I think it's quite a good article.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-drugs-won-the-case-for-ending-the-sports-war-on-doping

Thanks for that, tl;dr - I don't have the time to in its entirety ATM, but what I have read so seems like realism and pragmatism from people in a position to know what's going on. Flattered on both counts that the article suggests that I'm a heretic and an academic!

honestly, i wish hughes and baker would give up sevens to at least give XV a try

also ebner should quit the nfl, i'm sure a professional team would give him a shot

honestly, i wish hughes and baker would give up sevens to at least give XV a try

also ebner should quit the nfl, i'm sure a professional team would give him a shot

I can't see that happening the next 7 WC is in the US and i can see USA 7's wanting to keep this squad together and try to develop it over the next 2 seasons.

Agree on Ebner, looks good and looks quite lean.

I can't see that happening the next 7 WC is in the US and i can see USA 7's wanting to keep this squad together and try to develop it over the next 2 seasons.

Agree on Ebner, looks good and looks quite lean.

leave your logistics out of my pipe dream :(

No rugby on the Red Button until 6pm BST?

Didn't watch any of it, but 3 golds for us today. Sweet, especially after the poor start.

Yeah not sure what's happened there - I'm guessing something else ran over. It was due to start at 4.30; but it cancelled my recording reservation, and shifted to 6.00 - I have a feeling it's changed channel as well.

Still, it's on iPlayer, or live through the schedule if you're got a fake IP to use it through.

a02a3cd8b1d7e8b928d8fcd26272a6bb.png

There's tennis where there was supposed to be rugby, I think. At least earlier this day, part of it was scheduled to be on another channel at 6.00.

I couldn't get any of the free ones to work right now and honestly don't feel like paying for some placing matches. That's what I get for using up my free trials.

The bronze medal match and the final will even be streamed here in Germany. It seems at least some people decided to watch some of it for the first time, but even 7s seems to be confusing for people (or downright funny).

Would love for France to beat NZ.

Hansen is blaming the calendar for the poor showing.

LOL
I'd assumed they were going for the Zika excuse - that or a reffing conspiracy (how dare ref.s actually penalise kiwis* for high tackles, taking players out in the air, time wasting, etc etc)

* I did get that right didn't I? they're "kiwis" not "the all blacks"... for now.

Latest posts