• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 Super Rugby Grand Final: Hurricanes vs Highlanders

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't. They're not losing that many players and with the Chiefs losing quite a few players overseas and to sevens, the Saders not having a decent 10 and losing some core players and the Canes potentially losing a lot of fire power to Sevens and a few core players overseas, the Landers would be sure to have a good season in my mind. The Blues could also as there's some good talent there but lets see how Umaga goes. I will say that the Canes do have some good depth though so we could have a good run too - maybe we need to be underdogs for once.

I can't see the new teams having any look in, so really the Aus/ Saffa teams would have to step up to dent the NZ sides in the playoffs.

If they could hook a guy in like Adam Thompson for one last season I reckon they'd be in with a shot. Tell him Adam you want to win a championship come home mate. Seriously. A guy like him another good tight forward and one more guy that can solidly cover alot of positions like Buckman and yeah maybe.

Even if he didnt start most games he'd be good to have around as a class backup/advising 6 or 8.

Theyd certainly need to start guys like Marty Banks and the Japanese halfback more often.

- - - Updated - - -

Barrett is the real talking point for me. If we ever have to rely on him in a big game im going to be a bit jittery about it.

J Savea was very average and has been a bit of a passenger in that team since like mid season. This is why a guy like Osbourne should of been selected to keep him honest in the AB's.

Both of the Savea's have this issue with bombing gifted opportunities a bit and I dont think its a coincidence.

Was looking at some stats between Naholo and Savea in a news article earlier in the week, Savea has missed quite a number of tackles this season. He has made some good runs but has to lift his overall performance for the ABs.

If they could hook a guy in like Adam Thompson for one last season I reckon they'd be in with a shot. Tell him Adam you want to win a championship come home mate. Seriously. A guy like him another good tight forward and one more guy that can solidly cover alot of positions like Buckman and yeah maybe.

Even if he didnt start most games he'd be good to have around as a class backup/advising 6 or 8.

Theyd certainly need to start guys like Marty Banks and the Japanese halfback more often.

- - - Updated - - -

Barrett is the real talking point for me. If we ever have to rely on him in a big game im going to be a bit jittery about it.

J Savea was very average and has been a bit of a passenger in that team since like mid season. This is why a guy like Osbourne should of been selected to keep him honest in the AB's.

Both of the Savea's have this issue with bombing gifted opportunities a bit and I dont think its a coincidence.

Barrett was average last night but I do think it was because his leg wasn't 100% that was so obviously clear. He was very hesitant to kick and opted to run when he knew he should have done otherwise.

Barrett was average last night but I do think it was because his leg wasn't 100% that was so obviously clear. He was very hesitant to kick and opted to run when he knew he should have done otherwise.

thats sort of the story of his career though. He is definitely one of the more electric players in the game in terms of creating things in broken play, but he has never been the best option taker or tactical kicker. He very rarely creates much for others, which was made worse last night given he was standing so far behind the advantage line.

Im getting more at the fact that really this guy isnt that great an out an out first five. Sure he had a leg injury but he's never really been a great tactician flyhalf and I expect never will be.

That said I think the game has changed a bit. The halfback fullback and centers also shoulder alot of the kicking its not like when Dan and Mehrts were on the scene and pretty much dominated teams on their own with less help from others.
Teams tend to have a few options to kick out of their half... in Aaron Smiths case he does shoulder a bit more than he should I think though. That one box kick he did from the HL try line to the half way mark (taken by Savea and dropped before the attempted quick throw in) was pretty impressive though if he can keep that sort of kicking up then he can take them I guess.

Last edited:
Naholo is a more complete player than Savea IMO, I think he's better, give him another season or two to confirm this, but he's got far more to his game than what Savea does. both at 14 and 11 is simply devastating and will make any team ***** themselves.

People seem to get ideas stuck in their head that players are cemented and no one is better until they get too old to play for the AB's. I think this season has proved there's better emerging talent than what we currently have in the All Blacks in areas.

Last edited:
Naholo is a more complete player than Savea IMO, I think he's better, give him another season or two to confirm this, but he's got far more to his game than what Savea does. both at 14 and 11 is simply devastating and will make any team ***** themselves.

People seem to get ideas stuck in their head that players are cemented and no one is better until they get too old to play for the AB's. I think this season has proved there's better emerging talent than what we currently have in the All Blacks in areas.

If theres two players id be making allowances for and giving them atleast a couple of starts in the rugby Championship its Naholo and Sopoaga.

Naholo is just really really special I reckon. He's totally going to break all sorts of records if he gets the right/enough opportunities and is handled right.

This is the moment I fell in love with the Highlanders this year (photo courtesy of SuperRugby's facebook page, May 22)

Just something about that picture told me they were the ones to watch.

:)

das

Pump the brakes a bit pal, don't be too much of a prisoner of the moment. Savea is one of the best 2 or 3 in the world and is proven at international level. Naholo has been great for sure, but calling him more complete than Savea is getting a bit ahead of yourself.

or

11. Julian Savea

14. Waisake Naholo

That's a winning from me.

or

11. Julian Savea

14. Waisake Naholo

That's a winning from me.

with 15. Ben Smith

That's the best AB back 3 if you ask me. NMS on the bench. No one else is even close. 12 and 13 are harder to pick though.

Pump the brakes a bit pal, don't be too much of a prisoner of the moment. Savea is one of the best 2 or 3 in the world and is proven at international level. Naholo has been great for sure, but calling him more complete than Savea is getting a bit ahead of yourself.

And that's why I said give him a season or two to confirm it. Naholo is a better tackler, he challenges the ball well at the breakdown, he's got a good kicking game and comes inside a lot more.

Savea is great and one of the best in the world, but he's very one dimensional.

I'm really happy for the Highlanders! Althou both teams deserved it.
Pity Smith and Nonu are still without a Super rugby cup. It would have been a great tribute to Jerry Collins.

Jaco Peyper had a great game I felt. Really quite flawless. Let the game flow perfectly. I really hope he gets the World Cup final. South African refs are the best.

I barely noticed him at all, which is a good thing. Surprising result, but well deserved, especially in the second half. I thought Barrett was a let-down, but then I think he overall isn't the player you thought he'd become.

He was carrying an injury, but yeah, he's no Dan Carter..

I barely noticed him at all, which is a good thing. Surprising result, but well deserved, especially in the second half. I thought Barrett was a let-down, but then I think he overall isn't the player you thought he'd become.

A few of us have been saying for some time he's not all he's cracked up to be. Great cover at international level and coming off the bench but starting first five in important games not for me.

Jaco Peyper had a great game I felt. Really quite flawless. Let the game flow perfectly. I really hope he gets the World Cup final. South African refs are the best.

Kiwi, I like your passion, I seriously do but the final was between 2 kiwi sides playing Kiwi 'style' for want of a better word. Playing against another countries style would have seen a different game altogether.

What I see as an issue is when or if we face countries esp England that have the forward and/or back play that might dictate the flow of the game style.

I'm only guessing here but if either team played a NH team and used the classic maul as a tactic we'd be in trouble for one example and therefore the flow of the game would change esp with a different ref and probably with the same ref.

S15 compared with international rugby are 2 different beasts.

Last edited: