• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 1: South Africa vs. New Zealand (24/10/2015)

Genuine question - is it really possible for a penalty count to be, fairly, against an attacking team 10 + yc to 2? After that point Mr. Garces eased off the ABs, but only a little.
Just an observation on the 20whatever pages above, the Saffers come across as dignified, and the raving NZ haters seem to be from uninvolved nationalities. Wouldn't it be nice if excellence were celebrated even from those too-big-for-their-boots guys in black.

I heard a comment before the game by Paul Wallace (former Irish prop) that French referees tend to favour teams going forward. Make of that what you will.

I think BOD would have made the All Blacks for sure. He was quality. Such a shame we didn't get to see him in the full Lion's series in 2005.

Because McCaw is not in his prime and look at what he is still doing, BOD was dropped when he was McCaws age.
we're comparing apples and pears here. I'd say lifespan of a forward is a bit longer than that of a back. Mainly because players loose speed as they get older and that has a great effect on back than forwards. Even then McCaw isn't the player he was of 4 years ago.

I heard a comment before the game by Paul Wallace (former Irish prop) that French referees tend to favour teams going forward. Make of that what you will.

Du preez was constantly reminding him of AB infringements and Mccaw only got his side of that game together later in the game imo.

Not that we didnt infringe its all pressure people dont seem to give credit to just how good that D was I reckon the Boks nailed that aspect about as good as they could have.

Iv seen plenty of Bok/AB games where the boks drew penalties just like they did in this game but they were probably going back like 5 or 6 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I think BOD would have made the All Blacks for sure. He was quality. Such a shame we didn't get to see him in the full Lion's series in 2005.

I think pre 2003 maybe but Tana was bloody good near the end of his career.

Guys like Frank Bunce and Tana. Theres just no way Id take BOD over them.

BoD wouldn't have made the All Blacks.

Sorry, I can't agree.

You can not look at our centre combinations now and try to compare them with Brian ODriscoll. He played international rugby from 1999 to 2014; there were plenty of times during thos 15 years that he was easily better than who we had playing at centre.

In 1999, 2003 & 2007 we fcuked about trying to manufacture a centre out of a full back - first Christian Cullen, then Leon McDonald, the Mils Muliaina. This was because we didn't have, or couldn't find a 13 of a good enough standard, and as a result, we completley stuffed up our own chances of winning.

O'Driscoll would have been one of the first names on the team sheet durig those times, especially 2003..

Carter and McCaw are great players who have had fortunate longevity in a brutal sport. How great would they have been in any other side? New Zealand are the GOAT, and its because they're generally individually great from 1-23, but play as a team.

Carter and McCaw have been a large component of New Zealand's success in the past decade, but the All Blacks could have done it without them. They did it without Carter in 2011, and if neither played in the final I would still back New Zealand to win.

Honestly, some of the comments coming from New Zealand supporters are completely shameless.

Du preez was constantly reminding him of AB infringements and Mccaw only got his side of that game together later in the game imo.

Aaron Smith is a little more subtle than that. You can hear him at the tackle/ruck yelling at OUR players to encourage them to comply with Laws and not do silly things.

"Leave it Brodie, leave it!!"

"Richie, get out of there!!"

"Get up Sam, get up!!"

we're comparing apples and pears here. I'd say lifespan of a forward is a bit longer than that of a back. Mainly because players loose speed as they get older and that has a great effect on back than forwards. Even then McCaw isn't the player he was of 4 years ago.

Mccaw is clearly better this WC than last FFS he had a fractured foot in the last one man.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaron Smith is a little more subtle than that. You can hear him at the tackle/ruck yelling at OUR players to encourage them to comply with Laws and not do silly things.

"Get up Sam, get up!!"

If he lost that MO people might take him more seriously though. I mean whats up with that he looks bloody ridiculous.

"Get up Sam, get up!!"

First time I have heard a Scrum half at this level do that.

Too nice for his own good ;)

Carter and McCaw are great players who have had fortunate longevity in a brutal sport. How great would they have been in any other side? New Zealand are the GOAT, and its because they're generally individually great from 1-23, but play as a team.

Carter and McCaw have been a large component of New Zealand's success in the past decade, but the All Blacks could have done it without them. They did it without Carter in 2011, and if neither played in the final I would still back New Zealand to win.

Honestly, some of the comments coming from New Zealand supporters are completely shameless.

Rubbish our fortunes were very poor before Mccaw and Carter were steadily in the team. These two were at their best between 2003 and 2007 or thereabouts. Since 2011 I reckon Hansen and Co have tried quite hard to rebuild the team without them being the total focus.

The games changed though in 2003 to 2010 a flyhalf could dominate a game by himself. That rarely if ever happens now.

SA defense was insane today. Probably one of the best defensive displays I've seen. Up there with Wales v Ireland 2015 (except Wales had Barnes on their side).

NZ definitely need to fix their breakdown. Argentina and especially Australia will destroy them there.

The poor conditions probably helped. I think ABs would have had more opportunity to carve through the SA defense had the weather not played such a role.

First time I have heard a Scrum half at this level do that.

Too nice for his own good ;)

Not so much being nice boy.

I heard one of the coaches talking about it a while back. He said it does two things

1. It encourages the players to get up and into the defensive line. Players on ground are out of the game and not contributing to the team's defensive effort

2. It influences the mindset of referee, encouraging him to think that the team are doing their best to comply with the Laws around the breakdown.

I doubt it. There are probably a lot of other people who don't know much about rugby that think he's ****e.

QONVIyz.gif

Not so much being nice boy.

I heard one of the coaches talking about it a while back. He said it does two things

1. It encourages the players to get up and into the defensive line. Players on ground are out of the game and not contributing to the team's defensive effort

2. It influences the mindset of referee, encouraging him to think that the team are doing their best to comply with the Laws around the breakdown.

Interesting take.

1) I can see that, makes 100% sense

2) Not sure about, pretty sure a ref at that level will ping them even if their are trying there best to comply.

Last edited:
Cane made two potentially massive errors when he came on but we didn't get punished like we could have. He could have cost us this match. However, when he came on against France he was awesome. He is a worthy successor to the 7 jersey and is a quality player. Hopefully those errors today are not a sign of how he handles pressure in the future.

Latest posts