• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] The Rugby Championship XV

I think Vermeulen isn't as one dimensional as you make out (in fact I think he has more more dimensions than Spies). He is a strong ball carrier and a good support runner. He is capable of some very classy offloads similar to Read. And he has had very good and physical defense. It's actually interesting comparing the stats of Read and Vermeulen this championship

Vermeulen v Read

Minutes Played: 381 - 400
Tries: 0 -1
Carries: 50 - 48
Metres: 159 - 137
Clean Breaks: 1 - 0
Defenders Beaten: 10 - 2
Offloads: 2 - 13
Try Assists: 0 - 2
Passes: 12 - 50
Line-out Catches: 14 - 22

Tackles: 42 - 45
Missed Tackles: 8 - 4
Tackle Success Rate: 84% - 92%
Turnovers Conceded: 2 - 5

I 100% agree, Vermeulen is first on my 'injury wish list' (sounds horrible but we all have one!) I know its unfair to compare him to Read, especially last years form but I watched the Wellington test twice and he definitely went missing after nearly killing McCaw and a couple others (I think he did win SA last penalty by memory?)
If he can focus the last 20 minutes to turnovers, defensive positioning etc he will be awesome. Effectively learning the art of 'killing a game' One of my most watched sky plus matches is NZ v ENG last year, the last 30 mins. We come back from 22-20 them completely shut them out, Read was immense in that last 15.
BTW Some of Reads 13 offloads have been a bit pointless, I hope he doesn't become obsessed with it.

^ I'd say Vermeulen was in fine test form as well; certainly a top 3 player in every game he has played. With both in line to possibly miss out on the last game it does open the door for someone else a tad.

Yes, I have to agree here. That was my general reasoning as well.

I have to disagree quite firmly about the supposed one-dimensionalitinessness of Vermeulen. Not that he isn't one-dimensional, but that that constitutes a problem at all. He may not have handling like Kieran Read (but then again most backs in the world don't) and may be all strength but guess what that's EXACTLY WHAT HE'S PAID TO DO. Strong carrier, generally Thor-like (even physically) I think I even saw him gather a lightning bolt at a point but hid it coz the cams were on him, not exactly sure, brutal in the rucks, tremendous consistency and that game against Aus just, just fk, every single Aus ball that came close to him he'd turn over, everything that came within remote vicinity. Got to the point where even the pundit said "Wallabies should avoid going straight at Vermeulen atm", that's just comical.
So the one-dimensional argument is fine if we're talking flyhalves (I agree with the criticism against a Tales or a Farrell or a Morné Steyn..) or even a flanker but when your brute force is that brutal, brutality in Rugby is just very handy. And that's the brutal truth.

Yes yes stormer, I want Sanchez. It felt overwhelming not to pick any of the NZ guys, but I'm sticking to Sanchez fer mah 10. Cool you made that % post.
And yeh been saying it all year long on here Retallick is just the best (for his position at least). Hadn't thought about it, but yeah, a candidate for POTY. Poty ? Player of the year..

....ok, that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Ayerza
2. Straus
3. O. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Etzebeth
6. Coetzee
7. Hooper
8. Vermeulen
9. Smith
10. Pollard