• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby Semi-final: Crusaders v Sharks

You can only play as well as your opponents let you play. Yes the Sharks were awful, but some credit for that sure has to go to the Crusaders for the way they systematically shut the Sharks out of every aspect of play, especially the areas where the Sharks are usually so dominant. The Crusaders out-scrummaged, out-mauled and out-ruck them. They were dominant at the breakdown and their line-out operated at least as well as the Sharks'.

As I pointed out earlier, the Sharks rely on dominating the set pieces and the maul, and when that doesn't happen, they have nowhere else to go because they effectively have a kick-oriented back-line. That last Crusaders try from a line-out drive and rolling maul really was a case of rubbing salt into an open wound.

Also, sorry Sharks fans, but squirrel's comment earlier is right on the money; Pat Lambie ain't no Dan Carter, and IMO, based on what I have seen of him so far, there is not much prospect of him ever becoming one. He looks like a Chocolate Soldier to me.

Don't get me wrong Crusaders were fantastic, but I'm just saying the Sharks were at a significant disadvantage and the Crusaders took full advantage, being at home and having 2 weeks to prepare. I think I heard that no SA team has won a knock out game in NZ and it showed on Saturday; the Sharks just looked very flat.

One team playing with vision and ball in hand, the other tries to suffocate and playing 4year old rugby.
Jake White, can you like to wake up to modern rugby now.
Don't worry, the first to object is the supporters, they talk with the numbers at games in Natal.
This was brought onto yourselves, stop making stupid excuses

One team playing with vision and ball in hand, the other tries to suffocate and playing 4year old rugby.
Jake White, can you like to wake up to modern rugby now.
Don't worry, the first to object is the supporters, they talk with the numbers at games in Natal.
This was brought onto yourselves, stop making stupid excuses

I agree with that. I really though the Sharks would beat their opponents up, up front, but that didn't happen. Crusaders stood up for themselves and more than survived the impact in the forward battle. The Sharks weren't entirely without any intent though, and stringed some nice movements together. Also, Lambie had some really poor moments and was in the spotlight very often in the game. Sharks kicked too much...and when the Saders kicked, it was much more efficient.

Well, Sharks not helped by the fact that Lambie had his first start back from injury and is a limited player to start off with :p and his kicking partners (Reinach, Steyn and Marias) possibly each individually also having their worst days with the boot too boot while Ellis and Dagg in particular were in mesmerizing kicking form never mind their 10/12 combo. That for a team who pretty much base their game around field position...

Difficult to lay the blame entirely on tactics (field position and backing your defense) though as it worked for them in the regular season encounter.

They were up against it from the get-go having to play a championship team in form at home after travel and held out well the 1st half I felt. Just never got into the match and one always felt the gaps were going to start showing sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Latest posts