22. S'bura Sithole
23. Tonderai Chavhanga

Stadium: AMI Stadium
Attendance: 18,000
City: Christchurch
Referee: Glen Jackson

14071907292981059.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see so much interest in these playoff matches....

As far as I can see neither side has officially been named yet, but it doesn't sound like there will be many changes to either side. I suspect Lewies will start for the Sharks (if fit), and Lambie may come in at 10 (with Steyn shifting out one spot). It sounds like McCaw will start at 6 for the Crusaders. Personally I'm not sure that is the right choice. Taufua has been in great form, while McCaw seems to take time to get back speed after injury these days, and isn't really a 6.....

Well, I've went ahead and picked the Sharks to win this one by 3 points.

with Lambie back, the Sharks will have a bit more firepower in the backline, and with the forwards all showing great form recently, they can do it again.

it will be a real shame if the Crusaders win this years ***le. i'm still struggling to figure out how they even ended up where they did, and winning will paper over some genuine problems for them.

As much as I think Todd Blackadder is truly an average coach, it's not entirely surprising how they got here. On paper they still have a ridiculously strong squad - and since he has taken charge this team looks in the best position (injury wise etc) to push on and win it. That said I think it will take all of Read, Carter and Nadolo to be firing all cylinders in order to win.

They've always been good at timing it so i'm not surprised they are in the mix, but the style of play that has got them there is not what I'd expect from a Crusaders team this seasons 'Saders team has on occasion played some of the worst rugby in the competition, if not over the last few years.

Even with their stars I still feel they are on a downward spiral as a squad.

it will be a real shame if the Crusaders win this years ***le. i'm still struggling to figure out how they even ended up where they did, and winning will paper over some genuine problems for them.

I don't think it would be a shame is the Crusaders won. Sure they haven't been outstanding all season, but which side has? The Waratahs have been the most consistent side this season, but after a very slow start the Crusaders have had a pretty solid season (as have the Sharks and Brumbies). There has been some justifiable criticism of the Crusaders backline play, but the backline has started to look a lot sharper with some key players (Carter, Read & Dagg) back. Despite having a backline that hasn't exactly been firing the Crusaders have still managed to score plenty of points (445 - 2nd overall), and their defense has been pretty good too (322 points conceded - 3rd overall).

If the Crusaders win this year I think they will certainly deserve it. Personally I don't think they have any genuine problems. Their forward pack is outstanding, they have a class halves paring, and they have talent wider out (Crotty, Nadolo, Dagg etc). Obviously there are some clear issues with the backline tactics, but I don't feel a complete overhaul is required here - some minor tweaks are all that are required IMO.

fair enough, hard to argue with those stats.

But i've just been very disappointed with their stifling stale rugby, maybe i just have high expectations of them.

Waratahs Crusaders would be a pretty sweeeeet final's matchup given what I've seen this year...gonna have to cheer for the kiwi soid.

If the Sharks win this Saturday, they should make sure to go all the way. I cannot watch them lose a 5th final.

fair enough, hard to argue with those stats.

But i've just been very disappointed with their stifling stale rugby, maybe i just have high expectations of them.

This is a pretty nail on the head statement, on paper they have one of the best if not the best forward pack in the comp, the backs are strong on paper also, yet they fail to fire in that backline and their one off style of play is getting old, boring and easy to counter - just look a the Sharks win in Christchurch this season.

Was great when they ran one off for a few plays and then unleashed their back, but that doesn't really happen anymore.

Imagine if Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith were put in charge of all that talent.

I still think that the Crusaders will win, but not expecting it to be flashy, in saying that I so hope I am wrong and the game is worthy.

This is a pretty nail on the head statement, on paper they have one of the best if not the best forward pack in the comp, the backs are strong on paper also, yet they fail to fire in that backline and their one off style of play is getting old, boring and easy to counter - just look a the Sharks win in Christchurch this season.

Was great when they ran one off for a few plays and then unleashed their back, but that doesn't really happen anymore.

Imagine if Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith were put in charge of all that talent.

I still think that the Crusaders will win, but not expecting it to be flashy, in saying that I so hope I am wrong and the game is worthy.

Personally I don't think 'one off' running is a major issue for the Crusaders. I don't think they really use it more than any other side (I would suggest they use it less than the Chiefs), and it can be a good way to get go-forward ball.

For me the biggest issue with the Crusaders this season is not that the haven't used their backs - indeed I think they have used them as much as any side in the competition - but rather they haven't used their backs effectively. Far too often they have been going side-to-side but not really getting anywhere. I can see why they use this tactic, but I don't think they are executing very well. They seem to play a long way behind the advantage line and rather than hit the line straight they crab across field. By the time the ball gets out wide the wing has no space to move, and the opposition has simply drifted across to cover.

I do think the Crusaders kick the ball far too often as well. Obviously a strong kicking game is essential, but opposition sides know that the Crusaders aren't interested in attacking from their own half and simply drop players back for the kicking duel, which makes it very hard for the Crusaders to win these contests. Perhaps the biggest issue with the Crusaders is their strict adherence to their game-plan no matter what the situation, and an inability to change this game-plan as required. Probably the best example of this is the Sharks match. When the Sharks were down to 14 (and 13 at one stage) the Crusaders continued to play a tactical kicking game and completely negate their own 1 (or 2) man advantage....

Despite all this the Crusaders have still had a pretty good season overall. I agree with GoodNumber10 that they have played some very poor rugby at times this season (and it has been painful to watch!), but I don't think it is fair to judge a side solely on their poor performances. They have played some excellent rugby at times this season too - for example putting over 50 points on both the Reds and Cheetahs, and 40 points on the Brumbies....

I definitely agree that the Crusaders would be better with either Dave Rennie or Wayne Smith in charge. They are two of the best coaches in NZ rugby, while I'm still unconvinced about Blackadder's coaching at this level.

Anyways the Crusaders side has been named:

Israel Dagg, Kieron Fonotia, Ryan Crotty, Dan Carter, Nemani Nadolo, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, Richie McCaw, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.
Reserves: Ben Funnell, Joe Moody, Nepo Laulala, Jimmy Taufua, Willi Heinz, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl.

So two changes from their last match, with McCaw in for Taufua, and Flynn replacing Funnell at hooker. For me Flynn vs Funnell is a 50:50 call, but Flynn's experience may have been the crucial factor in his selection. As I've mentioned before I'm not convinced about picking McCaw at 6, but at least Taufua has been maintained on the bench - I had a feeling they would have stuck with Luke Whitelock there....

Last edited:
Crusaders team named:

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Corey Flynn
3. Owen Franks
4. Dominic Bird
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Richie McCaw
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Andy Ellis
10.Colin Slade
11.Nemani Nadolo
12. Dan Carter
13. Ryan Crotty (VC)
14. Kieron Fonotia
15. Israel Dagg

RESERVES:

16. Ben Funnell
17. Joe Moody
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Jimmy Tupou
20. Jordan Taufua
21. Willi Heinz
22. Tom Taylor
23. Johnny McNicholl

Sharks team named:

1. Thomas du Toit
2. Bismarck du Plessis (c)
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Willem Alberts
5. Stephan Lewies
6. Marcell Coetzee
7. Jean Deysel
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Cobus Reinach
10. Pat Lambie
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Frans Steyn
13. Paul Jordaan
14. JP Pietersen
15. SP Marais

RESERVES:

16. Kyle Cooper
17. Dale Chadwick
18. Lourens Adriaanse
19. Etienne Oosthuizen
20. Tera Mtembu
21. Charl McLeod
22. S'bura Sithole
23. Tonderai Chavhanga

Last edited:
Both very strong sides on paper, with Steyn at 10 and some combination of Jordaan and Pietersen/Sitole I felt the backline was somewhat unbalanced, Steyn isn't the most creative 10 and Jordaan is a much better outside in my opinion due to his speed and lack of size, he's great in space but not good in constricted areas. With this set-up you have a a beefier inside and more chance of the fast Shark outside backs getting into some good space. Unfortunately it is Lambie's first game back and it will really come down to whether he can have a good game or not.

That said however it's probably going to come down to the forward packs. If the Saders front up against this very heavy Sharks pack they should have the edge and win handily as their back line is far more capable of making use of good ball than the Sharks are. If the Sharks forwards can get the ascendancy in the loose and in the set-piece the Sharks might be able to arm-wrestle their way to victory.

Excited for the match, hope the Sharkies can do it!

I think Saders by 5, very very tough game. I can't wait!

A pretty good looking Sharks side too. I agree with SomeOke in that the backline looks much better with Lambie back, as Steyn, Joordan, and Pietersen are all back in their best positions now. Individually their is a lot of talent in that Sharks backline - it's just a shame they don't really like to use them with ball in hand!

It will be interesting to see how young Thomas du Toit goes against Owen Franks. I think the scrums will be pretty even, and while both sides has strong lineouts I think the Crusaders may have a slight edge at lineout time (assuming Flynn doesn't have a throwing melt down...). They have 3 outstanding jumpers (Bird, Whitelock, and Read), though I have been very impressed with Lewies this season (and Kankowski is a strong lineout exponent too). I'm not convinced about the Sharks starting both Alberts and Deysel. They are both good players, but they are both very similar in style - I feel they may have been better off with another player who excels more in the tight (e.g another lock).

I feel the Crusaders should be able to gain parity up front, the bigger question for me is how/if they are going to breach the Sharks defense. The Sharks defense has been pretty strong this season - if the Crusaders aren't more direct in attack I feel they will struggle to breach the Sharks defense. I think the Crusaders have started to look a bit sharper in the backs since Read and Carter have returned but still haven't been near as good as they potentially should be. Obviously the key is get Read and Nadolo running in those wider channels - if Nadolo gets a bit of space he is very hard to stop!

The key for the Sharks will be gaining dominance up front, and kicking long. The Crusaders don't seem that keen on the counter-attack so they probably won't worry about kicking the ball out. There will be space in behind Nadolo and Fonotia which I'm sure they will look to exploit - I epxect Israel Dagg will be doing a lot of running tonight!

I'm picking the Crusaders to come out firing and win relatively comfortably in the end by 10-15. However I remember picking the Crusaders to win earlier this year against the Sharks in Christchurch, and the Sharks won with only 14 men....

Latest posts