Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Super Rugby.png
Cheetahs.png
Versus Super.png
Force.png

The Cheetahs have two players returning to the starting line up, that should strengthen their side (Johan Goosen and Connie Oosthuizen). The Western Force have a chance to leap frog the NSW Waratahs, who have the bye, and could even take the lead in the Australian Conference, should the Brumbies lose to the Sharks. The Cheetahs need to string a few wins together if they are to make the playoffs

Here's the Cheetahs side http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Weekend-teams-20110203 :

Cheetahs
15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Raymond Rhule/Cornal Hendricks, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Rayno Benjamin, 11 Willie le Roux, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Sarel Pretorius 8 Boom Prinsloo, 7 Teboho Mohoje, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Caylib Oosthuizen

Substitutes: 16 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Maks van Dyk, 19 Carel Greeff, 20 Waltie Vermeulen, 21 Shaun Venter, 22 Elgar Watts, 23 Cornal Hendricks/Howard Mnisi

Last edited:
Should be an entertaining match. The Cheetahs are trying to revive their ball-in-hand approach and at Bloemfontein the surface will certainly make for a fast paced match. Oosthuizen and Goosen coming in for the Cheetahs could make a big difference either way (Undoubtedly talented and if they get their game going watch out but Oosthuizen can attract some penalties and Goosen is not as consistent as one would like from a potential Bok while both can drop off tackles) but Goosen's kicking from the tee has been sub standard this year.

I think this will be the start of the Force's steady decline down the table... Could be wrong, of course.

There is always one game or two where the Cheetahs are simply untouchable, maybe it was against the Stormers but maybe they do even better against the Force.
If the case it will be a spectacle of note.

I think this will be the start of the Force's steady decline down the table... Could be wrong, of course.

Mate what do you have against the force. You're always wrong, Force to win both games in Africa.

Mate what do you have against the force. You're always wrong, Force to win both games in Africa.

That would be great for Rugby in your part of the world, and Australian Rugby in general, because the force would probably go on to win the Australian conference ... both games are certainly a possibility, as they are against two of the poorer performing South African sides this season.

Have the Force ever won both games in Africa before? - I'm not sure ... my perception of the Force is that they are a much harder side to beat at home than on the road (a bit like the Cheetahs and the Stormers in that regard)

The Western Force team named http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_9300552,00.html

Force: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Marcel Brache, 12 Kyle Godwin, 11 Nick Cummins, 10 Sias Ebersohn, 9 Ian Prior, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Matt Hodgson (c), 6 Angus Cottrell, 5 Sam Wykes, 4 Adam Coleman, 3 Kieran Longbottom, 2 Nathan Charles, 1 Pek Cowan.
Replacements: 16 Heath Tessmann, 17 Tetera Faulkner, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 20 Brynard Stander, 21 Justin Turner, 22 Zack Holmes, 23 Chris Tuatara-Morrison.

Good to see Nathan Charles back in the starting lineup

Last edited:
I'm picking a South African side to win this one... probably the one based in Bloemfontein rather than the one based in Perth.....

I'm picking a South African side to win this one... probably the one based in Bloemfontein rather than the one based in Perth.....

... Oh you ... I see what you did there :)

... I wonder if the Cheetahs would try to lure Sias E back if he totally outclasses Goosen

but off course they will loose against the mighty Stormers next week :eek:

Well the Force have been quite a "force" this year.

Thought they would lose this, lets see if they can win both there games in the republic.

Certainly helps plating the bottom teams, but the force have looked good regardless.

People keep expecting the wheels to fall off the Force, but they just keep rolling on. As a fan of a good Aussie underdog, I'm very impressed and loving each win (apart from their win against the Tahs haha). Meanwhile, I have a feeling that the wheels may well fall of the Sharks over their Australasia tour. Last nights match was one of the most uninspiring I've seen in years; two teams fighting a battle to show which had less faith in their ability to handle the ball. The Brumbies were brutally exposed for playing that way against the Crusaders last week, and after watching the Sharks last night, I have a feeling they're about to be found out just as ruthlessly.

Latest posts