• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Chiefs (Round 17)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140623040730884239.png

1. Kane Hames
2. Brayden Mitchell
3. Ma'afu Fia
4. Tom Franklin
5. Joe Wheeler
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Shane Christie
8. Nasi Manu (co.captain)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Patrick Osborne
12. Shaun Treeby
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Richard Buckman
15. Ben Smith (co.captain)
140623040723572128.png

140623040734608342.png

1.Pauliasi Manu
2.Mahonri Schwalger
3.Ben Tameifuna
4.Michael Fitzgerald
5.Brodie Retallick
6.Liam Messam
7.Tanerau Latimer
8.Liam Squire
9.Augustine Pulu
10.Aaron Cruden (c)
11.Tom Marshall
12.Bundee Aki
13.Robbie Fruean
14.Dwayne Sweeney
15.Gareth Anscombe

Last edited:
i have a bad feeling....in the past we have come off rest weeks woefully under done.....think we should be at full strength though.....

Chiefs:

1.Pauliasi Manu
2.Mahonri Schwalger
3.Ben Tameifuna
4.Michael Fitzgerald
5.Brodie Retallick
6.Liam Messam
7.Tanerau Latimer
8.Liam Squire
9.Augustine Pulu
10.Aaron Cruden (c)
11.Tom Marshall
12.Bundee Aki
13.Robbie Fruean
14.Dwayne Sweeney
15.Gareth Anscombe

Replacements:

16.Nathan Harris
17.Jamie Mackintosh
18.Josh Hohneck
19.Matt Symons
20.Tevita Koloamatangi
21.Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22.Tim Nanai-Williams
23.James Lowe

1 - Kane Hames
2 - Brayden Mitchell
3 - Ma'afu Fia
4 - Tom Franklin
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Elliot Dixon
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu (co-captain)
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Shaun Treeby
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith (co-captain)
Reserves
16 – Ged Robinson
17 – Matias Diaz
18 – Chris King
19 – Josh Bekhuis
20 – Lee Allan
21 – Fumiaki Tanaka
22 – Hayden Parker
23 – Phil Burleigh

1 - Kane Hames
2 - Brayden Mitchell
3 - Ma’afu Fia
4 - Tom Franklin
5 - Joe Wheeler
6 - Elliot Dixon
7 - Shane Christie
8 - Nasi Manu (co-captain)
9 - Aaron Smith
10 - Lima Sopoaga
11 - Patrick Osborne
12 - Shaun Treeby
13 - Malakai Fekitoa
14 - Richard Buckman
15 - Ben Smith (co-captain)
Reserves
16 â€" Ged Robinson
17 â€" Matias Diaz
18 â€" Chris King
19 â€" Josh Bekhuis
20 â€" Lee Allan
21 â€" Fumiaki Tanaka
22 â€" Hayden Parker
23 â€" Phil Burleigh

Thanks for the lineup! :thumbup:

Right, not long until we get back into Super Rugby. Pretty happy with the Highlander side overall. I'm a bit surprised to see Mitchell starting at hooker, as I rate him as our 3rd best hooker (though he is a good young player), though I'm delighted to see Franklin starting at lock ahead of Hoeata. Franklin has looked good off the bench so far, so hopefully he takes his chances, as I think he has the potential to be a very good Super Rugby player. I would have preferred Evans at 6, but Dixon has done a solid job there this year. Our backline is the best we can field, though I would have preferred to see someone other than Burleigh on the bench (Baker or Emery would have been fine).

The Chiefs forward pack looks pretty good, but there is a new backline again this week. Hopefully the lack of established combinations will play into the Highlanders hands! It will be interesting to see how Fruean goes - I expect the Highlanders will looks to target him on defense, especially considering he hasn't played at this level for quite a few months. Surely the Chiefs would be better starting Nanai-Williams or Lowe on the wing over Sweeney? Sweeney is a solid player, but the other options would offer far more in my opinion.

The Chiefs haven't exactly looked like a Championship side this season, but I do think they will start this match as slight favourites, especially with Cruden starting to get back into some form. I expect both sides will looks to play some expansive rugby, so we should hopefully see a high scoring match. I'm picking the Chiefs by 5. If the Highalanders do lose I would prefer it didn't happen in the last play of the match though - these last few rounds have been quite painful for Highlanders fans.....

This Ref is on drugs. The Chiefs are getting the rub of the green for sure.

Edit: As soon as the HL earned the ball back they smoked them justice.

I have to say Tameifuna has to be the biggest dissapointment as far as potential goes. Maybe he needs a few more years but he doesnt look like he's going to get anywhere near the AB's to me now.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact he keeps getting in the way the ref has been ok so far IMO.

Scrums/Lineouts/Breakdowns have been a mess so far.....

Bundi Aki's pilfering is illegal there is no time being allowed for tackled player to place the ball at all.

Also that first chiefs penalty for 3 points was garbage. Watch the replay. And before that there was another dubious decision which puts the chiefs in fantastic field position i believe it may have been Aki again.

Last edited:
The ref has made a couple of mistakes, but the Highlanders have benefited from his mistakes too. We need to get our hands on the ball and hold onto it for a while - we have barely had any ball so far.

This refereeing is awful. Possibly the worst I've seen this season in terms of sheer number of errors. It's certainly not favouring either side, but it's frustrating regardless.

Great first up try for the Highlanders.

Edit: Note that I posted this before reading any of the other comments, so it wasn't a response to anything anyone else had said.

The further the game goes on the more I'm beginning to agree the ref is having a shocker. I was perhaps too forgiving on his early errors (as I assumed he was going to get better), but he seems to be getting even worse as the match goes on.

The Highlanders need to get Ged Robinson on at halftime - our lineout has been a disaster.

I dont like anything about how this guy refs the game and I still think the calls are well favouring the Cheifs.

BEN SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 (not that he had to do anything...).

Great work by Mitchell, Fekitoa, and the Barracuda.

Honestly for me the highlanders when they get the ball are about two steps above the Chiefs. They just need to keep the damn ball and hope that the ref doesnt "help" the Chiefs.

Another good try - bit dubious about the ruck right beforehand but we didn't get to see a replay!

Good simple catch and pass from the Highlanders.

Kerr Barlow and Nanai Williams will make a huge difference for the Chiefs. Pulu has been terrible.

Latest posts