• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Highlanders (Round 3)

The Chiefs were very lucky to escape with the win - the last try was a bit questionable too. Regardless, they got the 4 points and will be reasonably happy going into the bye. The Highlanders, in contrast, will be very disappointed. They had the game by the scruff of the neck at halftime, and were at one point ahead by 9 points. That being said, if at the start of the season the Highlanders could've picked to go into the bye with 6 points I'm sure they would have taken it.

For the Chiefs I thought Symons was very good in his starting debut, making a number of tackles. I'd be looking at partnering him with Retallick and having Fitzgerald coming off the bench. Latimer looked fired up too, and a bit bigger than he normally does. It's going to be another great year seeing Latimer and Cane fighting for that starting jersey. Squire made a big impact when he came on, and I think he showed enough promise to start him at the back of the scrum in the next match to see how handles it.

The backs were all good without being great. Nanai-Williams provided a lot of spark, and I thought Ngatai had one of his best games to date. Kerr-Barlow was probably my MOTM, he looked very sharp both in terms of his passing and running (though I'm ignoring that last kick of his near the end ;)).

Wheeler was good for the Highlanders, and Hardie was probably the pick of the forwards on display. He was aggressive on defence and made a number of important turnovers. Manu made a few uncharacteristic errors. In the backs Fekitoa looked dangerous once more, and I though Stanley had a reasonably good game (apart from that one mis-kick). Ben Smith looked dangerous, but didn't get many opportunities.

Agree with most of that. I wouldn't call the Chiefs 'lucky' to escape though. They scored three good tries (I didn't see anything questionable about the 3rd try), and threatened to score several more, while the Highlanders scored a single try, but did kick all their goals. Overall I think the score was a fair reflection of the game - I would have preferred if we had won, but I think the Chiefs were more clinical when it counted.

For the Chiefs:
I thought the front row was pretty quiet - I feel they need to get Ben Afeaki back as soon as possible as he adds some much around the field. I thought Symons looked excellent on his starting debut. He is a very similar player to both Fitzgerald and Retallick, he does the basics right, makes plenty of tackles and hit lots of breakdowns. He will certainly put pressure on Fitzgerald to partner Retallick through (when Retallick returns), as he seems to offer more with ball in hand than Fitzgerald. I agree with Mr Fish that Latimer looked bigger than usual, and his ball running was a feature, while Messam had an excellent game at number 8. Crosswell was solid at 6, but I agree that 6. Messam, 7. Latimer, 8. Squire would be the Chiefs best option for their next match.

Kerr-Barlow had an excellent game. He ran a lot more than usual (perhaps slightly too often), but did cause the Highlanders some issues at the base of the breakdown. Cruden was quieter than usual but kicked the goal that counted. Ngatai was good - his defense is rock solid, he runs hard and straight, and he has a massive punt too which can be a real asset. Fruean was very quiet - I didn't even realize he was on the field. Tikoirotimu ran round like a mad man again - you can see why the Chiefs coaches love him as he does everything at full speed. Nanai-Williams was probably the Chiefs most dangerous back, I was worried whenever he got the ball in his hand. Muliaina was pretty quiet again, but very solid at the back.

For the Highlanders:
I was very happy again with Kane Hames at LH. He was solid enough at scrum time, but his work around the field (particularly on defense) was a real feature. King as usual also had a big work-rate on defense. Coltman had an excellent game at hooker. His lineout throwing was better than last week, but he still overthrew a couple. Hoeata had another good game, but I thought Wheeler was probably our best player. I was a bit uncertain about him starting, but he has by far his best match in a Highlanders jersey. He was running hard at gaps, and he has fantastic ball handling skills for a lock, and his work at the breakdown was impressive too. Evans was a bit quieter than last week, but did get a crucial steal when we were hard on defense at the end of the 1st half. Manu was a bit quiet, and I'm not quite sure what to make of Hardie's performance. He seemed to have received a lot of plaudits for his performance, but he did spend a lot of time standing out on the wing, and didn't really make a lot of tackles. I'm still undecided on whether I want him or Christie starting.

Aaron Smith certainly didn't play as well as last week, but his passing was a crisp as ever. I was very happy with Sopoaga. He was running a lot more this week (and breaking tackles), and importantly he kicked 5/5. I still worry that we have to hide him at fullback on defense. Treeby was solid, but I wasn't overly happy with Stanley. He runs straight and hard and is reliable on defense, but his ball handling is not that good. His passing is pretty lethargic (that is if he ever passes the ball), and he made a couple of poor kicks too. I think we need a much more creative option in the 13 jersey (if paired with Treeby at 12) - personally I think we need Fekitoa back in 13, but if not we should play Emery there. Fekitoa did look dangerous on the wing - he looks like he will be an fantastic acquisition for us. Buckman was solid on the other wing, while Ben Smith looked dangerous at fullback, but again I felt he tried to do much himself again and made a couple of uncharacteristic errors.

very good game, this is the best highlanders side we have had in a long time. Kinda funny how after two or more seasons filled with big name stars and failure. Now with a squad boasting just two current All Blacks they are playing good rugby.

they clearly got their preseason right, it is one area where not having a bunch of All Blacks is a good thing. The players can get together earlier and train harder after a long break and they look it.

But the chiefs still won, so like the current chiefs to look better and win even after picking up a bunch of injuries.

Cruden and Messam were huge again, Heard TJ say that Messam has played more minutes of super rugby than any other player in the competition over the last three years. I like it when Messam is being used as a play maker, because he is a ball runner defenders hang on him but he has a good pass both ways, shame its not part of his role with the AB's.

Latimer also really impressed me, as did both the locks doing a good job with Retalick out. Squire obviously made a big impact with that run when he came on, impressive turn of pace.

The biggest thing is that the season is early and the chiefs have once again shown they still have that ability win tricky games in tricky situations. They have some injury issues and this Highlanders side is obviously playing well, Sopoaga is in impressive form, they dont really have injury issues, chiefs behind at half time yet still find a way to win.

i've said before, the highlanders are playing like we did in 2011....the problem with that is they were at the top of their game at the start of the season and when all the other teams grew into them selves...we burnt out...hope Joseph has learnt this time

yeah a good preseason has ensured they have had a good start but to continue that on requires depth, competition for places and often players with versatility. Using The success of the chiefs as an example, quality versatile players have been the Key.

Horrell - A 10 who has had a critical role at the chiefs playing 12, 13 and 15. A top shelf player who could actually play any position 10 to 15.
Messam - a 6 who has played 8 and even 7 when needed and shined.
Anscombe - 10 who played a critical role at 15 last season.
TNW - has filled roles at 13, 15 and wing now filling flashes boots.

you could write a book on why the chiefs have become so successful but versitile players is definitely one piece of the puzzle.

I think overall the highlanders squad looks really good I see their main issues in terms of depth being the front row, lose forwards and maybe wings where the guys there are doing a good job but there could be trouble if injuries become a problem. Like its good to see Hardie and Manu there, we have seen in the past that the highlanders struggle when they are injured. They seem to have good depth in the locks doing ok with Thorn out, ok depth on paper at 10, midfield is well covered and balanced, no one can replace Ben Smith but he doesn't spend much time injured even though he has a huge workload. Buckman is a very good pickup in the absence of Buxton Popoalii, I get the feeling some don't rate Buckman but I think hes always been suited to super rugby and I think the last two games have proved that, very smart positionally and general decision making and superb on defense, I honestly think hes a much better super15 level winger than Baker.

I think Fekitoa will be much better used in midfield, osborne and buckman on the wing but if either of them are injured I dont think Baker or Renata will be as good or consistent as replacements. Could maybe even look at playing Burleigh on the wing.

Real shame Buxton and Poki are gone, Poki must have been close to All Black selection.

i think we have the best loosie pack in years, christie and hardie openside, tj and evans the blind and dixon and manu at 8, i would even be interested in seeing Wheeler at 8 the way be played on sat...very no8 ish

forgot to mention maybe the key matchup of the game. I thought Kerr-Barlow really stood out against Smith, had a really big game. Some good little runs and also on defense. His box kick still needs work on defense but all other areas he really stood out.

i think we have the best loosie pack in years, christie and hardie openside, tj and evans the blind and dixon and manu at 8, i would even be interested in seeing Wheeler at 8 the way be played on sat...very no8 ish

I agree we have more depth in our loose-forwards than we have had in some time. Over the last few seasons when we lost one of our top trio there was a massive drop-off to the next best option (we had the likes Jake Paringatai starting for us last season...), but we have developed some good depth now.

Wheeler has a lot of experience at 8 - indeed a few years ago I was convinced that was his best position (he had an outstanding season for Tasman there). As I mentioned before injuries have stunted his development somewhat though. I'm not really sure what his best position is now - he was outstanding at lock against the Chiefs so I'm happy for him to stay there at the moment :)

yeah a good preseason has ensured they have had a good start but to continue that on requires depth, competition for places and often players with versatility. Using The success of the chiefs as an example, quality versatile players have been the Key.

Horrell - A 10 who has had a critical role at the chiefs playing 12, 13 and 15. A top shelf player who could actually play any position 10 to 15.
Messam - a 6 who has played 8 and even 7 when needed and shined.
Anscombe - 10 who played a critical role at 15 last season.
TNW - has filled roles at 13, 15 and wing now filling flashes boots.

you could write a book on why the chiefs have become so successful but versitile players is definitely one piece of the puzzle.

I think overall the highlanders squad looks really good I see their main issues in terms of depth being the front row, lose forwards and maybe wings where the guys there are doing a good job but there could be trouble if injuries become a problem. Like its good to see Hardie and Manu there, we have seen in the past that the highlanders struggle when they are injured. They seem to have good depth in the locks doing ok with Thorn out, ok depth on paper at 10, midfield is well covered and balanced, no one can replace Ben Smith but he doesn't spend much time injured even though he has a huge workload. Buckman is a very good pickup in the absence of Buxton Popoalii, I get the feeling some don't rate Buckman but I think hes always been suited to super rugby and I think the last two games have proved that, very smart positionally and general decision making and superb on defense, I honestly think hes a much better super15 level winger than Baker.

I think Fekitoa will be much better used in midfield, osborne and buckman on the wing but if either of them are injured I dont think Baker or Renata will be as good or consistent as replacements. Could maybe even look at playing Burleigh on the wing.

Real shame Buxton and Poki are gone, Poki must have been close to All Black selection.

I'm curious at what makes you believe Buckman is a better Super Rugby wing than Baker? Joseph is selecting him ahead of Baker (so you are certainly not the only one who thinks that), but I can't really understand it. Buckman has had a couple of very solid games this season - he has make his tackles (and made them count), and been solid under the high ball. I can't see him playing any better than he has in the last two matches though. I do like Buckman, but I feel he is far more effective in the midfield than on the wing. The problem with Buckman playing on the wing is that he is slow. Very slow. His lack of pace hasn't been exploited yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is eventually (as it was in his starting debut for the Hurricanes several years ago, when he had a shocker...). He also offer very little on attack - he can run straight at people, but that is it.

In contrast Baker has been in superb form for Taranaki for a couple of seasons now, and has looked good in the limited Super Rugby action he has had thus far. He isn't express but has enough pace for the wing, has a good step and a strong fend, has a massive work-rate, and is solid on defense and under the high ball. He seems an ideal Super Rugby wing to me. Perhaps Joseph sees him more as a fullback than a wing, but he is certainly more of a wing than Buckman or Fekitoa (or Burleigh... God help us if we play him on the wing....).

Last edited:
I've always like him because he has a knack of doing simple things really well and a lot of it maybe comes down to being in the right place all the time and having a very good set of skills, making good decisions. It always seemed to allow him to perform well despite being a skinny white fella :) reletively speaking of course

kinda a contrast because he looks like a bit of a meat head with a mullet but plays very intelligently.

hopefully he can add some super rugby to his highlight real :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHbQ1uajgrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HJczh15oo

Last edited:
I agree we have more depth in our loose-forwards than we have had in some time. Over the last few seasons when we lost one of our top trio there was a massive drop-off to the next best option (we had the likes Jake Paringatai starting for us last season...), but we have developed some good depth now.

Wheeler has a lot of experience at 8 - indeed a few years ago I was convinced that was his best position (he had an outstanding season for Tasman there). As I mentioned before injuries have stunted his development somewhat though. I'm not really sure what his best position is now - he was outstanding at lock against the Chiefs so I'm happy for him to stay there at the moment :)

I'm curious at what makes you believe Buckman is a better Super Rugby wing than Baker? Joseph is selecting him ahead of Baker (so you are certainly not the only one who thinks that), but I can't really understand it. Buckman has had a couple of very solid games this season - he has make his tackles (and made them count), and been solid under the high ball. I can't see him playing any better than he has in the last two matches though. I do like Buckman, but I feel he is far more effective in the midfield than on the wing. The problem with Buckman playing on the wing is that he is slow. Very slow. His lack of pace hasn't been exploited yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is eventually (as it was in his starting debut for the Hurricanes several years ago, when he had a shocker...). He also offer very little on attack - he can run straight at people, but that is it.

In contrast Baker has been in superb form for Taranaki for a couple of seasons now, and has looked good in the limited Super Rugby action he has had thus far. He isn't express but has enough pace for the wing, has a good step and a strong fend, has a massive work-rate, and is solid on defense and under the high ball. He seems an ideal Super Rugby wing to me. Perhaps Joseph sees him more as a fullback than a wing, but he is certainly more of a wing than Buckman or Fekitoa (or Burleigh... God help us if we play him on the wing....).

i'm a bit lost as to what Joseph has against Baker too, would seem to me a great option, if you need to he can drop to fullback and smith up into the midfield. After seeing him play for the naki last season i even went as far as to say i wouldn't be upset if baker started at 15 and smith in the midfield, not because hes a better fullback but it would put some real spark in our midfield

forgot to mention maybe the key matchup of the game. I thought Kerr-Barlow really stood out against Smith, had a really big game. Some good little runs and also on defense. His box kick still needs work on defense but all other areas he really stood out.

i dont like kerr barlow...i agree with what you say, had some spark and i was worried a couple of time when he had the ball....but for a halfback he doesn't like passing it. Given the backline the chiefs have and how stretched they were in the pack, he ran far too often for my liking. I think they would have won by more if he had just given it to his backs more instead of running it into our pack who seem to very much like tackling at the moment.

he reminds me of carlos spencer...got some x factor...but i would never put money on him taking the right or selfless option.

I've always like him because he has a knack of doing simple things really well and a lot of it maybe comes down to being in the right place all the time and having a very good set of skills, making good decisions. It always seemed to allow him to perform well despite being a skinny white fella :) reletively speaking of course

kinda a contrast because he looks like a bit of a meat head with a mullet but plays very intelligently.

hopefully he can add some super rugby to his highlight real :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHbQ1uajgrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HJczh15oo

So when you search for Richard Buckman on youtube you get a video of him doing a flick pass and making a big tackle. I think that kind-off sums up my argument! This may be strange, but I want to see my wings breaking the line and scoring tries. Like this:

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCqf2Hn8Pg

I'm all in favour of "complete wings" - wings that do things when they don't have the ball in their hands - but they also need to offer something with the ball in hand. Having Buckman on the wing may give us a strong defense (though again I do think he may struggle against the more elusive wings), but does limit our attacking options. I think Baker would offer a lot more, but we may never find out, as he seems to have done something to really **** Jamie Joseph off....

Last edited by a moderator:
Matias Diaz made his first appearance. Do you think he might pull off a place in the start team for the next rounds?

So when you search for Richard Buckman on youtube you get a video of him doing a flick pass and making a big tackle. I think that kind-off sums up my argument! This may be strange, but I want to see my wings breaking the line and scoring tries. Like this:

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCqf2Hn8Pg

I'm all in favour of "complete wings" - wings that do things when they don't have the ball in their hands - but they also need to offer something with the ball in hand. Having Buckman on the wing may give us a strong defense (though again I do think he may struggle against the more elusive wings), but does limit our attacking options. I think Baker would offer a lot more, but we may never find out, as he seems to have done something to really **** Jamie Joseph off....

so from all those video's...what we've learnt is Buckman plays best at centre and baker is a dynamic wing // fullback...and Joseph is happy to pay him to sit in the stand.

hhow good would it be with osborne and baker on the wings, fekitoa in the midfield and buckman on the bench knowing he can happily cover all positions...better than burliegh!

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah though to be fair the flick pass was after he got through the line. And though there is not a lot of him in youtube he has obviously done a lot more and better. hes had some massive games for the magpies

no doubt baker has a better running game. but he has not really been able to make the same impact in super rugby that he has in ITM cup or 7's. You could argue he could have been given more chances. I think he also had some bad timing with injury.

At this stage I think its safe to say Buckman has been given a chance and hes done well. Only two games but hes kinda been integral doing a lot of small things well.

Buckman is still handy on his feet. His main asset is he makes good decisions has good option taking, having someone as safe as Buckman may allow Ben Smith to come up a lot more. its probably safe to say Ben Smith has lacked good support at the back at times. I think it will help Ben Smith having someone good on defense and cover back with him. ive always thought you dont pick a back three individually you pick them as a combination. They are a team within a team. Much like 3 lose forwards, 2 locks, 9-10, 12-13 you gotta pick combinations not individuals. Maybe the selection of Buckman over Baker is to take defensive pressure off Ben Smith so he can take more of a role as a play maker, after all he is the biggest attacking weapon in the squad.

Last edited:
dont get me wrong, Buckman has done really well, just think he looks like would do even better at 13. good on D and the ability to break the line and feed the speedsters

just a though, treeby has done well but should we see Fekitoa at 12, buckman at 13...has a nonu/smith feel to it

yeah though to be fair the flick pass was after he got through the line. And though there is not a lot of him in youtube he has obviously done a lot more and better. hes had some massive games for the magpies

Yep he ran around Tom Donnelly. A 32 year old lock who played like a 92 year old for Otago last season....

no doubt baker has a better running game. but he has not really been able to make the same impact in super rugby that he has in ITM cup or 7's. You could argue he could have been given more chances. I think he also had some bad timing with injury.

At this stage I think its safe to say Buckman has been given a chance and hes done well. Only two games but hes kinda been integral doing a lot of small things well.

Buckman is still handy on his feet. His main asset is he makes good decisions has good option taking, having someone as safe as Buckman may allow Ben Smith to come up a lot more. its probably safe to say Ben Smith has lacked good support at the back at times. I think it will help Ben Smith having someone good on defense and cover back with him. ive always thought you dont pick a back three individually you pick them as a combination. They are a team within a team. Much like 3 lose forwards, 2 locks, 9-10, 12-13 you gotta pick combinations not individuals. Maybe the selection of Buckman over Baker is to take defensive pressure off Ben Smith so he can take more of a role as a play maker, after all he is the biggest attacking weapon in the squad.

I agree it is fair to say Buckman has done well so far for the Highlanders. He's had two solid games. I think Baker would have done at least as well. As you point out Baker hasn't made a huge impact on Super Rugby yet - the problem is he hasn't been given a chance! He has been very good at ITM Cup level, and played well in the few chances he has had for the Highlanders - indeed I would say he was at least as effective when playing for he Highlanders as Buckman has been. It is probably far too early to accurately compare the two players Super Rugby records, but I think the following stats (courtesy of the nzherald stats centre) make interesting reading:

Kurt Baker: 5 matches, 212 minutes, 2 tries, 1 try assist, 10 runs, 63 metres, 1 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 1 offload, 14 passes, 6 kicks, 7/8 tackles (88%), 0 turnovers conceded.
Richard Buckman: 5 matches, 231 minutes, 0 tries, 0 assits, 18 runs, 93 metres, 1 clean break, 4 defenders beaten, 1 offload, 10 passes, 2 kicks, 16/21 tackles (76%), 5 turnovers conceded.

I don't think you should read too much into those stats, but I think it illustrates that Baker has been very effective in the limited Super Rugby action he has seen thus far (though obviously didn't see much ball at the end of the Highlanders backline!).

I agree with you point regarding the advantage of a high-work rate wing to support Smith, but would argue that Baker is far more suited to that role than Buckman. Baker is by all regards incredibly fit (he was the fittest in the 7's squad at one stage), has a massive work-rate, is a reliable defender, and - importantly - is a specialist outside back. He has played all his rugby at fullback or wing so I'm sure is far more familiar with the positional aspects required than Buckman (who has played quite a bit in the outside backs, but has more experience in the midfield). In the two games thus far I haven't seen Buckman drop back once when Ben Smith is up in the line - instead this responsibility has been left largely to Sopoaga. I think this is a smart move too, as Buckman is far more valuable defending in the line with his physical defense than he is covering at the back (where his lack of pace becomes an issue).

Obviously it is hard to compare the two players until they get a few games each this season. Buckman has done a solid job thus far and I hope he continues to do this every time he runs out in the Highlanders jersey. I just hope Kurt Baker gets a chance this season to show what he has to offer, as I believe he could be a very good wing at this level...

Latest posts