• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Cheetahs vs. Lions (Round 1)

Woo! I'm sooo ready for Super Rugby! Where is everyone?? *shakes tree and waits for nuts to fall out*

:D

das

Le Roux is just pushing things a bit much, hope things start to stick this half

That's not the problem. I am waiting for a flight right now so no streams up there...

That's not the problem. I am waiting for a flight right now so no streams up there...

Awww...that sucks. Well, look on the bright side - you're only missing a couple matches, not a full weekend's worth. I've been trying to watch & delete stuff off my DVR so I'll have room for the matches coming up next weekend. This is the soft start weekend, next week's the real deal!

das

WHAT A GAME!!!!! I'm sitting here by myself, clapping and cheering to no one in particular. THAT was a great way to start the season!

I really didn't care who won, but that drop goal by the Lions in the 79th was just about the most thrilling thing I've seen in recent months. Great game, congrats to the Lions for the 21-20 win!

Sorry Cheetahs, but gotta work on that boot.

das

Great game :) Sad to see a team who scores 2 tries lose but, Lions did kick better and Cheetahs tbh should of won but well didnt near the end as they cant kick. bl.

What an end. Cheetahs played really well. We missed some kicks that cost us the game. The Lions had the better game plan and execution. Kudos! Still sad thou.

What an end. Cheetahs played really well. We missed some kicks that cost us the game. The Lions had the better game plan and execution. Kudos! Still sad thou.

Question - could it be that the Cheetahs went into this game thinking it would be a piece of cake win (since fans seemed to think that, too), and weren't prepared for what the Lions threw at them, or do you think it was more a bit of beginner's luck for the boys in red?

das

Cheetahs v Lions, Bloemfontein Super Rugby 2014 Round 1 Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
Question - could it be that the Cheetahs went into this game thinking it would be a piece of cake win (since fans seemed to think that, too), and weren't prepared for what the Lions threw at them, or do you think it was more a bit of beginner's luck for the boys in red?

das

A combination of both I reckon, as said earlier Goossens missed two kicks in the beginning of the game and altho the Cheetahs had more possession, the Lions played the better strategic game.

I think the Cheetahs were a bit underdone because of the the fact they didn't have the quality of warm up games the Lions did came back to bite them. They were probably seeing the Lions game as their 'final warm-up to REAL competition', LOL. They played as individuals and lost to a hungry Lions team who might be an inferior group of players but got one over their rivals on the day. A good lesson first up, hopefully the Cheetahs can bounce back.

I think the Cheetahs were a bit underdone because of the the fact they didn't have the quality of warm up games the Lions did came back to bite them. They were probably seeing the Lions game as their 'final warm-up to REAL competition', LOL. They played as individuals and lost to a hungry Lions team who might be an inferior group of players but got one over their rivals on the day. A good lesson first up, hopefully the Cheetahs can bounce back.

Great evaluation Stormer, I must say this was an exciting match up for the neutral, Cheetahs also undone by some huge brain fart errors. The yelllow card was inexcusable and a couple of the missed kicks were entirely makeable. \

Kudos to the Lions though, I really wasn't expecting them to win first up after so long away from the competition but the management and players looked prepared and fitness was key to their late comeback. Hopefully this is a sign that the Lions will be at least competitive in their games against the better teams in the comp.

Great evaluation Stormer, I must say this was an exciting match up for the neutral, Cheetahs also undone by some huge brain fart errors. The yelllow card was inexcusable and a couple of the missed kicks were entirely makeable. \

Kudos to the Lions though, I really wasn't expecting them to win first up after so long away from the competition but the management and players looked prepared and fitness was key to their late comeback. Hopefully this is a sign that the Lions will be at least competitive in their games against the better teams in the comp.

I find it hard too take too much from the game. It was a derby match, 1st round and also the two teams had very different pre-seasons with the Lions taking on the Sharks and Stormers and the Cheetahs just playing 'in-house' As vs Bs games. There is a long tournament still too come and the Cheetahs showed a lot more promise TBH. For the Lions I doubt they will win more than 1 or 2 more games with a bit of luck; I just don't see them having the depth and enough talent too get passed better teams when not as out of sorts as the Cheetahs were and the one team where I think they might be on par with (Western Force) they play away from home. This win for me was merely a case of things going right for them while the Cheetahs' error rate was very high and one could see they didn't have a pre-season.

Some points I thought from the match :

- Strauss is an unbelievable player and is world class when it comes to turnovers, but this was already known.
- De Jäger looks like a big talent, and never seems to go back in contact. He is of the etzebeth mould of lock where they are big, bruising carriers.
- Van Der Walt is very solid and put in a big shift
- Venter was ok and Pretorius went a bit nuts when he came on.
- Goosen looked of if not a wee bit rusty, did I see him pull up injured?
- Raymond Rhule looks a very good player and could be a potential springbok come World Cup 2015, however it could be too soon. Needs to get better in the air.
- Le Roux was trying to hard, however you can see he has class. Was rusty, hence the amount of errors, but created both tries.

The first game of the tournament, and it's an upset.

I didn't see that coming, especially after the Lions lost their warm-up game last week by more than 40 points!!

The Lions did the basics well, and disrupted the cheetahs play style. The cheetahs played into the lions' hands by running from their own goal line. Why do that when you have a fly half that can boot the ball the entire field?? When Goosen went off, the game swung significantly into the lions favour. Elgar Watts, missed 2 vital kicks at goal, and one was right in front of the posts. The Cheetahs lost this game, more than the Lions winning it. But Kudo's to the Lions, first game back, and they start off with a win... What a good game to start the tournament off with...

Latest posts