• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Blues vs Highlanders (Round 7)

Reasonably easy try for the Blues, not sure who Hall ran outside at the line out?

I think it was Ged Robinson.

HT: 17-9 Blues. I think it is probably a fair reflection of the match. The Highlanders have had a few good moments, but the Blues have looked the more dangerous side, and have took far better care of the ball (apart from the fact they are a bit obsessed with the grubber kick). I feel the Highlanders attack has tended to be far too lateral - we need someone to straighten the line (preferably Fekitoa). We certainly aren't out of it yet, but we do need to be the first side to score after halftime.

Name one player that doesn't make errors..... (I agree it was a terrible pass by the way...).

It wasnt just that pass the one that hit walsh was just silly. Then the box kick that went out. Missed tackles all over the show.

Seriously if i could make a video compilation of Smith errors (usually the turnover type) that lead to opposition try's i think you'd be shocked it just seems to happen really often with this guy.

Last edited:
It wasnt just that pass the one that hit walsh was just silly. Then the box kick that went out. Missed tackles all over the show.

I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that Aaron Smith is good as you made your mind up about him a while ago and nothing will change it. He's been superb for the Highlanders this year.

Seriously if i could make a video compilation of Smith errors (usually the turnover type) that lead to opposition try's i think you'd be shocked it just seems to happen really often with this guy.

It happens no more to him than any other halfback in NZ rugby. Do you really think he would be in the All Blacks if all things you say about him are true?

Try Piutau. That should seal it for the Blues.

Last edited:
AB's are looking healthy Kaino looks great to me. Luatua looks fine at 8 so might make a great back up for Reid as he's had a bit of a sad start to super rugby.... Nonu still looks in good touch.

Yep Kaino has looked good so far, and I've been surprised how good Luatua has looked at 8. We do need a good backup 8, as I don't think McCaw is good enough there.

The main point again for me when the Highlanders face a team with a far superior back row or one that plays out of their skin they seem to be in real trouble. Or they have players that really get over the advantage line and present the ball well. The HL are getting caught tangled in bodies with poor ball placement and the blues are snaffling it.

Lol Benji Marshall. Runs 20m across field then throws the pass to no-one.

Great finish by Buckman. Pity about the knock-on.

Last edited:
Great no-try for the Highlanders!

Coltman has thrown two of his three line outs not straight, but luckily hasn't be called for it.

Last edited:
My two take-aways from the game.
1. The Highlanders cannot throw straight to a line-out
2. Tonight's ref/linesmen/"assistant refs" couldnt call it to save thier lives

Disclaimer: I'm not a Blues fan, not even a kiwi, merely a neutral rugby supporter disgusted at the crooked throws of late.

And let's not get started on this weak NZ conference and the unfair advantage it gives to lesser sides like the Chiefs.

Edit: Forgot my cheeky sarcastic smile :p

PS: But seriously, this looks like being the second year in a row the kiwi teams are, generally speaking, rubbish.

Last edited:
My two take-aways from the game.
1. The Highlanders cannot throw straight to a line-out
2. Tonight's ref/linesmen/"assistant refs" couldnt call it to save thier lives

Disclaimer: I'm not a Blues fan, not even a kiwi, merely a neutral rugby supporter disgusted at the crooked throws of late.

And let's not get started on this weak NZ conference and the unfair advantage it gives to lesser sides like the Chiefs.

Edit: Forgot my cheeky sarcastic smile :p

PS: But seriously, this looks like being the second year in a row the kiwi teams are, generally speaking, rubbish.

I've been dreading the day that an Aussie brings this up... :p

Blues making some strides, just gotta maintain consistency now which has been a real issue in the past. Our fowards were great tonight, seems like kaino has awaken them. Locks are seemingly the weaker part of the team but triggs and moli were excellent. Perhaps the first game ive ever seen moli stand out, hopefully he can keep it up. Bryn hall makes all the difference, giving our backs quick ball and constantly threatening with his running. Nonu was a menace giving it his all which was great to see. I just hope JK doesnt do something stupid like start noakes again...

Right, my summary of the match.

Blues:
- Kaino and Nonu made a big impact. I don't think Kaino is near his best yet, but he certainly showed signs that he is getting there.
- Tom McCartney played well at hooker - I was really impressed with his physicality, and the Blues lineout functioned pretty well.
- I was surprised at how well the Blues locks played. Moli had probably his best game for the Blues, and Triggs looked pretty handy too.
- Luatua surprised me a bit at 8 too. He has struggled a bit there in the past, but I thought he really excelled this match. Playing alongside Kaino and Braid also allowed him to play his more natural wide-ranging game.
-Bryn Hall was very good. I've never really been that impressed with his running game before, but he looks to have really improved that aspect of his game. Hickey was solid yet again.
- Moala and Piutau were good yet again, but Halai was again anonymous. I wonder whether Li will start in his place next week.

Highlanders:
- The tight-five was solid but not outstanding.
- Manu and Christie played well again, but the loose-forward trio didn't function that well as a unit. The solution seems glaringly obvious - play Gareth Evans at 6. He played well for the first two weeks but for some reason hasn't been seen since - instead we have preferred more make-shift options (Hardie is a 7, while Dixon is an 8).
- I've been impressed with the improvement in Sopoaga's goal-kicking this season, but I still remained unconvinced with him. He hasn't offered that much on attack, but his defense is my biggest concern. We hide him on the wing or at fullback in defense, but still he misses tackles. I would seriously consider starting Parker at 10 (he can miss the odd tackles too, but is much better than Sopoaga on defense).
- Likewise the midfield defense is a major concern. If we stick with Sopoaga and the same midfield we will keep conceding 4+ tries per match. Burleigh actually had a slightly better match on defense this week, but still missed a number of tackles. Part of the problem is the combination between Burleigh and Fekitoa. I have heard many people praising Fekitoa for his defensive linespeed - it is impressive, but when those inside him aren't coming up as fast it leaves massive holes in the midfield. Either we need the players on the inside to come up quicker or he needs to slow down a bit. I do have a solution to this involving...
- Richard Buckman. You have to appreciation the enthusiasm and commitment he brings to the game, but it remains obvious to me he is not a wing. However the more I watch him play the more I want to see him starting at 12 for the Highlanders. Like Fekitoa he is a punishing defender with excellent linespeed. Imagine him defending at 12 inside Fekitoa - the opposition would think twice before running at the Highlanders midfield! Obviously there would a loss of creativity without Burleigh, but the benefit of a rock solid defense would out-weigh that in my opinion.
- It was good to see the Highlanders are finding ways to get Ben Smith contesting the ball in the air. Almost every single time he contests he either gets the ball back or the opposition knocks on. I do fear we are asking a bit too much of Smith though (which is one reason I would like to see him backing defending at fullback rather than in the line).

Yeah I was suprised how good the Blues lineouts were. This must be the first game in years where the Blues haven't lost most of their own lineouts

Halai has always looked pretty anonymous to me, I don't get why people rate him so high. I still wish the Blues had Ben Lam instead and the sevens had Halai

Any news on Kerr?

Yeah I was suprised how good the Blues lineouts were. This must be the first game in years where the Blues haven't lost most of their own lineouts

Halai has always looked pretty anonymous to me, I don't get why people rate him so high. I still wish the Blues had Ben Lam instead and the sevens had Halai

Any news on Kerr?

There were a couple of key reasons the Blues lineout functioned so well in my opinion (1) They simplified their lineout - most of the time they threw it to Luatua at the front. Previously they had been trying more complicated moves. (2) The Highlanders have no good lineout jumpers. The only two players we have that can steal opposition lineout ball were either on the bench (Wheeler) or not playing (Evans).

Kerr was back playing club rugby last week after recovering from his thumb injury. Unfortunately during that match he cracked a couple of fingers, so is set to miss the next 5-6 weeks....

Kerr was back playing club rugby last week after recovering from his thumb injury. Unfortunately during that match he cracked a couple of fingers, so is set to miss the next 5-6 weeks....

You've got to be kidding ...

Actually, you're not, in this link he is described as "The Blues confirmed five-eighth Baden Kerr had surgery last week on his broken fingers and would remain sidelined for a significant period of time.":
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9887356/Injury-depletes-Blues-locking-stocks

Well, time to let Hickey run the show for a while. Good news on Francis Saili getting back a bit earlier than expected.

I've liked the Hickey show. Very reliable in a backline chock of of X-factors.

To me the major change to the Blues fortunes at at 9 - Bryn Hall
Also noting in most of the teams that if the 9 has a good running game the rest come by itself.
This teams with a passing 9 struggle offensively

Latest posts