• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Scotland vs England (Round 2)

Not sure what you mean by that, Nowell is really strong for his size.

By his panicked decisions, physically he is fine but maybe it's just coz it's only his 2nd cap.

I like him as a player just looked a little panicked at times

"yaaarrrrrrr, I'm maaaaad...", for my fans up there ;)

So muscle won again. Scotland were outplayed in basically every sector...I reckon France will have a less one-sided result there, if they win. Scotland's weakness is exactly what England bring: sheer strength up front. They'll resist more or less throughout but never offer a true response. Our game isn't based on that, though we have a good pack, so we'll have less of an edge against Scotland and that gives them smt to work with, because they were just smothered by waves of English mass here.
And we won't be as disciplined as the English I'd imagine...

Scotland, again, have good things to work with, they've got talent and quality on that roster, but a few injuries and why-t-f Brown wasn't playing I dunno, but they can't afford to make those silly mistakes. A team like NZ could, Scotland can't.
On the things they CAN improve with this current lineup: they need more discipline for one (less silly fouls, sort out that lineout, my God...), defense could be tighter, those makeable penalty kicks have to go in, and mostly a more focused attack. This team tends to throw itself at the opponent, hard but not constructively, and lacks solutions when it's time to act around the opposite 22. They'll make breaks, they can inject pace into their attack, Laidlaw is a fine 9, but then it's not methodical enough and they're confused as to what to do to finish off a play.

Very good result for England on the road, but a pretty poor Scottish team. England regroup and prepare for one humongous battle when the Irish visit in two weeks, and Scotland need a win in Rome that weekend.

Agreed. Did you read Dylan Hartley's piece in the telegraph? I bet Tom didn't. Have not seen Rob Webber much but surely his line out throwing isn't as bad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...go-out-for-a-line-out-says-Dylan-Hartley.html

I think Webber has worse lineout stats than Youngs in the AP this year. They are a lot better with Attwood on the pitch and go to pot when he's not - or so that was the last I heard. Coincidentally, Youngs' lineout throwing has really gone to **** with no Parling for England.

The obvious solution here is to replace Youngs with Webber, and send Webber and Attwood on at the same time.

Just about the worst 6 nations performance I've ever seen by Scotland.
In the Ireland v Wales thread I said I thought Wales, Italy and Scotland would fight over the wooden spoon, based on today's showing they may as well give it to you guys at the after match dinner this evening.

I think Webber has worse lineout stats than Youngs in the AP this year. They are a lot better with Attwood on the pitch and go to pot when he's not - or so that was the last I heard. Coincidentally, Youngs' lineout throwing has really gone to **** with no Parling for England.

The obvious solution here is to replace Youngs with Webber, and send Webber and Attwood on at the same time.

Good point about Parling missing, but still I remember watching the Leicester v Northampton game earlier on in the season, the one which ended in a draw. Tom Youngs got away with wonky line out throw then which led to a Leicester try and I think Parling was playing in that game; so I think he does have the jitters and it needs to be looked at properly. Read/heard that Lee Mears has offered to help Tom Youngs do this.

Oh yeah, Youngs is basically a poor lineout thrower, just that Parling masks it incredibly well/boosts his confidence a bit at times. In fairness, he's been a hooker for 3, 4 seasons? Not surprising it's not there. But we shouldn't be playing the guy on training wheels. He wants to work harder, we want to try someone else.

I'm sure he had the same percentage in the premiership as Hartley in the autumn last year, so it does point to Parling being the bloke holding it all together.

P.S.: respect out to England who, as usual, never give up on a match or underestimate their opponents. Never, ever, ever.
I can see France in that game: they work hard and go up 20-0, and then start conceding penalties and maybe a try and end up 20-8. We consistently underestimate or put the foot off the pedal. Never with England, no English side. They were clinical at the breakdown the whole 80minutes.
Big respect.

Stas don't always tell the story though, my eyes tell me Youngs can't throw for **** and I trust that. Webber is much more solid and would be a much better backup.

Also Yoe, I don't know why you keep saying again and again that the English pack is all about power. We have one guy who is like that, admittedly he is a beast, but the rest are all about workrate pretty much.

"yaaarrrrrrr, I'm maaaaad...", for my fans up there ;)

So muscle won again. Scotland were outplayed in basically every sector...I reckon France will have a less one-sided result there, if they win. Scotland's weakness is exactly what England bring: sheer strength up front. They'll resist more or less throughout but never offer a true response. Our game isn't based on that, though we have a good pack, so we'll have less of an edge against Scotland and that gives them smt to work with, because they were just smothered by waves of English mass here.
And we won't be as disciplined as the English I'd imagine...

Scotland, again, have good things to work with, they've got talent and quality on that roster, but a few injuries and why-t-f Brown wasn't playing I dunno, but they can't afford to make those silly mistakes. A team like NZ could, Scotland can't.
On the things they CAN improve with this current lineup: they need more discipline for one (less silly fouls, sort out that lineout, my God...), defense could be tighter, those makeable penalty kicks have to go in, and mostly a more focused attack. This team tends to throw itself at the opponent, hard but not constructively, and lacks solutions when it's time to act around the opposite 22. They'll make breaks, they can inject pace into their attack, Laidlaw is a fine 9, but then it's not methodical enough and they're confused as to what to do to finish off a play.

Very good result for England on the road, but a pretty poor Scottish team. England regroup and prepare for one humongous battle when the Irish visit in two weeks, and Scotland need a win in Rome that weekend.

Where is all this 'mass' you keep going on about? We've got Billy and...who? This must be the most streamline English pack in years.

Well *power*, I guess I'm taking a semantic shortcut when I say "mass", although the English third row is considerably heavier than the Scottish one and it sure showed out on the field...work rate is a big ingredient but you don't just make 10meters on each impact with a lot of energy alone, you need the weight to push off the opponent consistently and that's just what England did. For eighty minutes.

Wonder who'll get the edge at the breakdown in ENG IRE...

Brian Moore on Billy (Binny) Vunipola:

"...brutality and dexterity in unison"

Also not sure what you mean by Nowell looking uneasy... will lookout for it when I re-watch the game.

Would've been nice to get another try or two, but in all honesty England looked like they were cruising.
Easy peasy.

Brown would start the Lions if they had a game next weekend for me. Fantastic in the autumn, fantastic in the 6N. Billy Vunipola also fantastic. England have been called a team that gels without any stars... I think that's starting to change.

Maybe the obvious solution is to leave Hartley on. Only sub if necessary and not as per a plan and timescale.

England didn't play very well and they were still miles too good for Scotland.
The weather and the pitch stopped England more than anything.
England have an embarrassment of riches to choose from south off the border.
The Scots have precious few players to choose from north of the wall.
This kind of lop sided contest will produce dull games and very occasional upsets, at best.
The Calcutta Cup is a bit of a joke because the contest has all but gone out of it.
I feel sorry for the Jocks, they are on a hiding to nothing against serious tier 1 teams.

Latest posts