• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Wales (Round 2)

No personal attack here but it's clear from the other post you have an issue with him. If you know your rugby you'll know stats are a load of rubbish without knowing the bigger picture.

Let it go, build a bridge, POM is going be around for a long time in the Irish set up. And as a Leinster fan I'm glad he will be.

Why be so confrontational and even post this? If you disagree with a point of view, argue it coherently rather than dismiss another person's opinion based on heresay. Would you be happy if somebody said "I hear you love POM regardless of form so I won't even bother arguing with you since your opinion doesn't matter"?

I have issues with Peter O'Mahony's discipline which I've pointed out in the past. He seems to be turning a corner which is great news.
Snoop what you argue is based on areas I accept. I'm not saying I am majorly against ror just simply it was pointed out he has a hatred of POM and I just choose to not debate on that with him. Does it mean he is wrong or his points are invalid? No. Does it mean that he attacked him here? No

Just based on what I know, I decide it is not worth arguing with him over points when as I said POM could be 100% stats in everything and ror is still known to have an agenda against him in other sites.
It's a choice that I am allowed make based on what has been said and shown from other sites as profitius has shown. And then I base it then on his first post here is to put down POM after he being named MOM and well in general with a proven history it just sounds like an agenda and I choose to not argue on it with him. 5 posts here and mostly are to argue up faults with POM. Not 1 mention even of Ireland playing well as a team or any other player.

Last edited:
Strange, you accuse me of attacking him then you say I didnt, there is no hatred towards POM, I do of course have issues with his defensive contributions and have highlighted that with FACTS with the view to hearing other opinions on this site. So dont get all flowery, if you dont like my opinion on his efforts and ball carrying performances maybe you should post a bit of info that has some substance. Saying I have a HATRED is well over the top, but yes I feel he needs to improve his tackling efforts.

Strange, you accuse me of attacking him then you say I didnt, there is no hatred towards POM, I do of course have issues with his defensive contributions and have highlighted that with FACTS with the view to hearing other opinions on this site. So dont get all flowery, if you dont like my opinion on his efforts and ball carrying performances maybe you should post a bit of info that has some substance. Saying I have a HATRED is well over the top, but yes I feel he needs to improve his tackling efforts.
When I say hatred I mean you have a history which is supported by posts elsewhere and then you sign up here and all your posts have been to point out his faults. This in my eyes is someone who has an agenda and dislike to POM regardless so look your free to argue your points I just choose not to debate with you. I'm not saying I agree or disagree as I don't have specifics to support or harm that in front.
Just simply your known to not like POM and always have "constructive faults" so I choose not to even bother with it as in my eyes you've proven elsewhere your views. I don't read Babbling Brook or Munsterfans just it was a Leinster Fan just commented when I mentioned your post. So with that welcome to forum but I will respectfully ignore you.

MM

When I say hatred I mean you have a history which is supported by posts elsewhere and then you sign up here and all your posts have been to point out his faults. This in my eyes is someone who has an agenda and dislike to POM regardless so look your free to argue your points I just choose not to debate with you. I'm not saying I agree or disagree as I don't have specifics to support or harm that in front.
Just simply your known to not like POM and always have "constructive faults" so I choose not to even bother with it as in my eyes you've proven elsewhere your views. I don't read Babbling Brook or Munsterfans just it was a Leinster Fan just commented when I mentioned your post. So with that welcome to forum but I will respectfully ignore you.

MM

Yeah, that kind of attidude is akind to screaming Leinster bias because Fergus McFadden was selected over Simon Zebo. Imagine.

Your entitled to your opinion, however you should reread my post and others yourself and make up your own mind rather than let someone else do it for you, and not all my posts where pointing out his faults, as one of the first things I mentioned here was his very effective body position at the breakdown...Thanks for the warm welcome

Yeah, that kind of attidude is akind to screaming Leinster bias because Fergus McFadden was selected over Simon Zebo. Imagine.
I questioned the fact 1 rule was for Zebo and Gilroy and it wasn't for McFadden. Accepted eventually and backed down.
Have not been constantly arguing Leinster bias, McFadden or anything since and hadn't before that. In fact I've praised Schmidt for proving me wrong and on doing a superb tactiful job. Have no agenda or hang up to constantly single the same individual.
So can you imagine I thought you'd be better than that :p

I choose not to argue with plenty of people here for various reasons. I do that by not posting in threads. If you don't respect what a poster has to say that's fine. Just ignore it. Your post came across as being really petty.

Well if so fair enough. Just don't agree with a poster across various boards targeting 1 player. I don't believe in it and stand up against it. You may consider it petty but I just felt need to respond in defense.

Well played fellow Welsh. In taking our leave of this thread we have forced our Irish chums to arguing among themselves.

well finished article
Gameplan

Is there a gameplan aspect here? Absolutely. O'Mahony's job is generally to make every defensive breakdown as messy as possible, whether he makes the tackle himself or not. With his natural inclination toward being generally awkward at the breakdown he's often better off leaving somebody else bring the man down and then assume the role of second (or third) man in. He's a fantastic rugby player, making up for his lack of size at test level with intensity, natural leadership skills and no small amount of skill. And this is not to mention his acrobatic ability in the lineout. However, one would have thought that at some point in his Ireland career, under three head coaches (but the same defensive coach all the way through in Les Kiss), and with various combinations of other back five teammates in the mix he'd have had at least one game where he went about hurling himself at ballcarriers. Even by accident.

As a rugby curiosity, the wait for Peter O'Mahony's ten tackle game continues.

As long as he's slowing ball down and winning turn overs I can wait for ever :p

Great article alright gives a bit of balance but I bet if shocks a few people including munstermuffin...

well finished article

As long as he's slowing ball down and winning turn overs I can wait for ever :p

Not like guys like O'Brien or Henry lack for messing up breakdowns while still registering giant tackle counts. Schmidt's happy with him though, hard to argue with that.

Stats completely relevant prior to the 6nations, not to make 10+ tackles in that game against the All Blacks for a backrow is awful but it's hard to give out about a lad making turnovers and being a complete nuisance for not tackling in a team that hasn't conceded a try and has rarely looked like doing so!

Back to Ireland as squad all players despite last weekends starters have been released to clubs. Schmidt will bring the team to Clonmel for a mini camp before announcing his squad for the England and possibly last 2 games again Sat night or Sunday

well finished article

No its not. Its well out of date with the tackle count and shows a lack of understanding about different roles in the side. It also mentions his "lack of size" which happens to be 2pounds lighter than the England 6, almost 2st heavier than the French 6 and half a stone heavier than the Scottish 6. I thought he liked looking at stats??

What I don't hear is WHY his tackle count is low! Is it because he is second in etc. What he does (getting body over the ball) is far more dangerous and energy sapping than tackling. Usually thats the 7s job but it seems to be a role reversal with Henry and POM. Does POM have the easier task? Actually just rucking takes more energy than tackling. Bernard Jackman gave an example of quality rucking on 'against the head last week and showed POM clearing out Luatua in the NZ game. At the end of the Wales match when Ireland broke up field POM was the first forward to arrive.

Its not that he isn't making enough tackles. Thats what the anti POM brigade want to believe. In reality what is happening is Schmidt/Plumtree/Kiss think POM is so good at the breakdown they want other players making the first up tackles for him. Now, you have a problem with that and say he is lazy and its not fair that he gets all the glory while others are involved too but what he does isn't exactly easy which is why McCaw and Pocock are so well regarded and as they mentioned over the weekend you have to be brave to do it knowing the opposition are charging towards the back of your neck.

Against Glasgow a few months back POMs tackle count was 19. That was in a different role with Munster.

Schmidt mentioned that he could have been MOTM against Scotland also so he is happy with POM. Plumtree is happy with POM. Penney made POM Munster captain at 23 so he is happy with POM. Les Kiss made POM captain in the American tour last summer (and POM was the stand out player) so he is happy with POM. Anthony Foley described POM a few weeks back as being potentially world class so he is happy with POM.

Last edited:
No its not. Its well out of date with the tackle count and shows a lack of understanding about different roles in the side. It also mentions his "lack of size" which happens to be 2pounds lighter than the England 6, almost 2st heavier than the French 6 and half a stone heavier than the Scottish 6.

What I don't hear is WHY his tackle count is low! Is it because he is second in etc. What he does (getting body over the ball) is far more dangerous and energy sapping than tackling. Usually thats the 7s job but it seems to be a role reversal with Henry and POM. Does POM have the easier task? Actually just rucking takes more energy than tackling. Bernard Jackman gave an example of quality rucking on 'against the head last week and showed POM clearing out Luatua in the NZ game. At the end of the Wales match when Ireland broke up field POM was the first forward to arrive.

Its not that he isn't making enough tackles. Thats what the anti POM brigade want to believe. In reality what is happening is Schmidt/Plumtree/Kiss think POM is so good at the breakdown they want other players making the first up tackles for him. Now, you have a problem with that and say he is lazy and its not fair that he gets all the glory while others are involved too but what he does isn't exactly easy which is why McCaw and Pocock are so well regarded and as they mentioned over the weekend you have to be brave to do it knowing the opposition are charging towards the back of your neck.

Against Glasgow a few months back POMs tackle count was 19. That was in a different role with Munster.

Schmidt mentioned that he could have been MOTM against Scotland also so he is happy with POM. Plumtree is happy with POM. Penney made POM Munster captain at 23 so he is happy with POM. Les Kiss made POM captain in the American tour last summer (and POM was the stand out player) so he is happy with POM. Anthony Foley described POM a few weeks back as being potentially world class so he is happy with POM.

Man. There's no point getting involved. Look everyone has their own assumptions and well have looked up this Andy McGeedy fella and I think he has a problem with O'Mahony too because before Wales game in 2013 he said "O'Mahony is an average provincial player picked ahead of Henry on being close to Kidney". What you are saying is very good points but I think for now let's get this back on track.

No its not. Its well out of date with the tackle count and shows a lack of understanding about different roles in the side. It also mentions his "lack of size" which happens to be 2pounds lighter than the England 6, almost 2st heavier than the French 6 and half a stone heavier than the Scottish 6. I thought he liked looking at stats??

He would want to bring his tackle count or his metres gained bracket up a bit to be considered a top class player in the next few years in the next few seasons. I'm not going to say I like O'Mahoney because I don't, he still looks like a baby crying to the referee t for 10% of the game, but I'll admit he's improved immensely under Joe Scmidt for Ireland and is playing an important role in the team and I hope it continues.

Stand out forward as well!!! ;)

Latest posts