• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] Argentina vs. Ireland 07/06/14

Better is putting it mildly.

D'arcy, Olding, Henshaw and Earls would all be ahead of him, as would Payne when he qualifies. Our depth in the centres is better than it ever was, even if it lacks the world class touch it once had.
My very point is the lack of class. I'm not saying that Reid is the wrong candidate, of the men available, more disappointed that he's the best option. Of the options stated by you and Snoop there is an aging D'Arcy who is on good form but could deteriorate quickly given his age, two unknown quantities at this level in in Henshaw and Olding, and two out of position players in Earls (really injury prone) and Payne. It would be a miracle were all of these guys fit anyway.
It's without doubt our weakest position.
I wouldn't hold your breath on us providing a centre in the next two years either. No one of huge potential knocking around the 1st team anyway.

I think its fair to say that Ireland have a lot of potential in the centres but nothing proven. Whether that constitutes depth is a matter of opinion I suppose. I would be uneasy with the situation myself and, without wishing to knock a good season, I can sympathise with the view that Reid is close to being a wasted tour. That said, if he keeps improving, who knows?

I find it intriguing that two potential 13s have dropped out and Schmidt hasn't named anymore. Suggests that maybe he was looking at Cave as a 12/13 to begin with and that he is comfortable with the idea of using McFadden as cover there at least.

Has anything been said about potential replacements for the Emerging Ireland tour?

Madigan -> 12 = The future.
That might be a good shout but I think it all hinges around the return of Johnny Cash to Leinster. As it stands Madigan must he pushing for his starting spot at 10 ousting J.Gopps if he hits any sort of form, and I can't see Joe Schmidt looking kindly on D'Arcy moving to 13 for Leinster as some have suggested when he's our only proven 12 and he'd block both Henshaw and Payne at 13.

That might be a good shout but I think it all hinges around the return of Johnny Cash to Leinster. As it stands Madigan must he pushing for his starting spot at 10 ousting J.Gopps if he hits any sort of form, and I can't see Joe Schmidt looking kindly on D'Arcy moving to 13 for Leinster as some have suggested when he's our only proven 12 and he'd block both Henshaw and Payne at 13.

Leinster should pick their best side possible, as should all of the provinces. If that's with Madigan at 12 and D'arcy at 13 then so be it. I'm pretty sure D'arcy would be able to switch back to 12 relatively easily too, he's quite experienced there don't ya know?

I agree they should but it won't necessarily be the case. Besides I think an on form Madigan is more use to Leinster at 10 than 12, because an out half like Gopperth who is definitely competent while not elaborate won't attack the line like Madigan can, and that's been a real issue in Leinsters back play this season,Their depth. Yesterday when they played flat and hit the line it worked wonders, and that's a tactic they constantly thrive under.
If Leinster were to get an operator like Sexton back, then a 12 13 combo of Madigan and Darcy would be very nice indeed.

Rumours that a new forwards coach will be attending this tour in an observation role working in Plumtrees shadow

Any ideas who? Plumtree has been top class going to be hard to replace him.

Haven't heard any names. Strange timing too as it comes just on back of Foley, Gibbes and Jackman being definitely ruled out. All would've been candidates before. Mike Ruddock was assisting forwards coaching before departure to Argentina but I presume that's just fact he's contracted to IRFU and helps out

I'd hope Schmidt takes his time over the appointment. He has a good few months to get someone lined up before work for the autumn, so there's no need to panic sign anyone.

I'd hope Schmidt takes his time over the appointment. He has a good few months to get someone lined up before work for the autumn, so there's no need to panic sign anyone.

I'd agree but it's been said the new man must be in place for Aug 9th as that's first meet of coaches for September camp

Anyone have any ideas over who they want to replace him? Can't think of anyone in Ireland because of Axel and Bernard having head jobs? Reckon he'll be a kiwi or an African tbh which I wouldn't mind.

Andy Robinson wouldn't be a bad shout if things go south for Bristol this week.

Gary Gold maybe? Extensive head coaching experience in both hemispheres and had a stint as SA forwards coach. Shafted by Bath last season after their best start in years. Is now coaching in Japan.

I'd say Mike Ruddock is in contention simply because he's available and has knowledge of the Irish system. I fear he's been away from coaching senior pro players for too long though.

Would Mark Anscombe fancy it? He's only got one more year with Ulster. An Irish coaching role could give him longer term job security.

Would Mark Anscombe fancy it? He's only got one more year with Ulster. An Irish coaching role could give him longer term job security.

I imagine he'd be happier to be on a longer contract, and I don't think Humph would try to argue anyone out of it, but maybe that's not a good recommendation.

Gary Gold maybe? Extensive head coaching experience in both hemispheres and had a stint as SA forwards coach. Shafted by Bath last season after their best start in years. Is now coaching in Japan.

I'd say Mike Ruddock is in contention simply because he's available and has knowledge of the Irish system. I fear he's been away from coaching senior pro players for too long though.

Ruddock did take a lot of sessions prior to departure but I imagine that was due to him being available as you noted. Gary Gold I think is probably a non-runner as I don't think his style suits Schmidt. I think the new man should have similar philosophies to Schmidt.
People may laugh but if he were ever available I think Laurie Fisher would be great match to Schmidt. He wasn't successful at Munster but that was more we didn't have a scrum and McGahans game was different than his but he's a superb coach.
The real worry is I don't think there's any top option available and the timing do the departure is strange

Here is the Ireland team to face Argentina on Saturday 7 June:

Player/Club/Province/Caps

15. Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster) 5
14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 55
13. Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 5
12. Luke Marshall (Ballnyahinch/Ulster) 5
11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 6
10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 43
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 27
1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 8
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 75
3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 39
4. Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 10
5. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 92 capt
6. Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster) *
7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 14
8. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 2

Replacements:

16. Damien Varley (Garryowen/Munster) 2
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 8
18. Rodney Ah You (Buccaneers/Connacht) *
19. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 15
20. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 65
21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) *
22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock/Leinster) 8
23. Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 26

WTF??!! Mike Ross, Rory Best, Paul O'Connell, Conor Murray, Sexton, Zebo, Trimble... OMG!

A very very tough opponent for our kids, Ireland by 50 points.

Last edited:
Nice to see Diack in there, very hard working guy who can put in a heck of a shift. Surprised with Felix Jones.. Really don't see the point, I'd rather have Zebo there.

Very small Leinster representation in the starting XV too.

Latest posts