• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales

MojoPin

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Well, it seems like every other team already has a thread, so here's a nice space to talk about Wales' autumn internationals.

Wales v Australia

Wales v Fiji

Wales v New Zealand

Wales v South Africa

Our starting XV seems to be a real point of contention this year as there are so many positional battles going on behind the scenes. So with that in mind I've picked out a few of the more interesting debates...

2. R Hibbard
Ken Owens would have been a big push here, but with him missing I think Scott Baldwin and Emyr Phillips will both be waiting to give Hibbard a run for his money.

3. A Jones
I've put him down purely because he has held the position for so long, but really I think Samson Lee is much more likely to start. A couple others like Nicky Smith and Sam Hobbs could be contenders...

5. L Charteris
Ian Evens will make a big impact, not to mention Jake Ball and Bradley Davies. AWJ is a dead cert but this choice is a little tougher.

6. D Lydiate
John Turnbull did well against SA and could push for a place here. Aaron Shingler and James King also possiblilities.

7. S Warburton
Tipuric is the obvious contender here, and might be playing strong enough to bump Sam over to 6 depending on how Dan Lydiate performs. In a mad world though I'd actually pick Tipuric elsewhere to see if he can make an impact...

8. T Faletau
Dan Baker is an obvious contender here and I'd also be interested to see how Rory Pitman would manage. And as an outside thought...Andy Powell?

9. M Phillips
Very tough one for Mike. Rhys Webb and Gareth Davies are both on fire at the moment, and Lewis Jones has been making a pretty good impression at the Blues. Thought Phillips did pretty well in SA though (particularly in the second test) so I think he'd probably still get a starting place.

10. D Biggar
Dan is a dead cert to start, but there's no shortage of alternatives. Personally I'd like to see Owen Williams get a start for one of the games, with Patchell and Priestland in reserve. Then there's Hook of course! Gareth Anscombe may be knocking on the door also when the Six Nations rolls around, but not for the autumn series.

11. G North
14. A Cuthbert
Unless either one gets injured, can't imagine this changing any time soon. But Eli Walker would be my top choice replacement...or maybe Jordan Williams. Hallam Amos hasn't quite done enough in my eyes just yet but also a possibility.

12. J Roberts
13. J Davies
I love these two (who doesn't?), but I'd also really like to see Scott Williams and Cory Allen back in contention. Aaaand...call me crazy, but I'd love to see how a Tipuric/Davies combo would work.

15. L Halfpenny
A lot of rugby friends have tried to convince me that Liam Williams should be our first choice FB now, but for me he's too much of a risk. Stick with Halfpenny and try out some youngsters in his stead - Matthew Morgan, Sam Davies or Rhys Patchell IMO.

As for Wales' chances - think we could realistically expect two wins from four this year, with the possibility of a third if things go our way. I have a feeling that we'll manage to beat one of the 'big three' at least but of course, it's never certain.

So whaddaya reckon? Starting XV, anyone?

well, we'll beat Fiji...

Edit - My squad (or ranking) assuming all are fit and also assuming i've missed out in form players, obv not all of them. Also, i've kind of gone for a ranking of players i.e Center and Wing instead of specific as they're quite interchangeable. Also looking ahead for the World cup and that includes youth, but maybe a couple of second chances too. Starting XV pretty much as shown (bar Subs)

1. G Jenkins - P James - A Jarvis > R Bevington (maybe need to swap with Jarvis?)

2. S Baldwin > R Hibbard > K Owens

3. S Lee > A Jones > Jarvis (think he's maybe a LH??)

4 and 5. A W Jones > I Evans > L Charteris > J Ball > B Davies

6. S Warburton > D Lydiate > A Shingler > Turnbull

7. J Tipuric > S Warburton > S Lewis

8. T Faletau > D Baker > Warburton

9. G Davies > R Webb > M Phillips > R Williams

10. D Biggar > R Patchell > O Williams > S Davies > Hook > M Morgan > Priestland

12 and 13. J Davies > J Roberts > G Henson > S Williams > C Allen > A Bishop > J Hook Agree about Tipuric - He could play anywhere!

11 and 14. G North > J Williams > A Cuthbert > E Walker > M Morgan > H Amos

15. L Halfpenny > L Williams > J Williams > M Morgan

Last edited:
Maybe it's good i'm not coach but I'd seriously contemplate dropping L Williams altogether and tell him to get his **** together before he gets picked for Wales again. Bring in Dan Evans and/or Lee Byrne as cover. Jordan Williams, Amos, Hook,Morgan and Henson can all cover there as well.

If Halfpenny is ruled out though, we dont have much choice unfortunately.

I think fringe players need to be given more of a chance, especially in the front row and back row.

We also need to develop some more variation in our attacking game.

I think it's pretty certain A.Jones won't be starting. He has passed his peak and Wales need to get a replacement in. Wales should win against Fiji but then the curse of losing to SH sides will probably kick in. I can see Wales walking away with 1 win and 3 plucky defeats. They have the ability to win, it just doesn't seem to happen vs SH.

I know TRF has had mixed feelings on him in the past, but hasn't Rhys Webb gotten like 3 man of the matches and been excellent in the opening 6 games so far this season? I don't see how you can ignore such form.

Anyone also think it's worth considering Lee Byrne once more?

Tipuric is a must for me, and Sam as his partner.

I know TRF has had mixed feelings on him in the past, but hasn't Rhys Webb gotten like 3 man of the matches and been excellent in the opening 6 games so far this season? I don't see how you can ignore such form.

Anyone also think it's worth considering Lee Byrne once more?

Tipuric is a must for me, and Sam as his partner.

Nope.

I really do hope Wales gets that much anticipated win against one of the SANZAR countries. The fact that you havn't yet in recent years almost defies belief. That said I hope it's not us!

I don't. We had 20 years of the welsh public dining out on the Welsh team of the 70's. Imagine what would happen if they actually beat a SH team? :)

Just did some checking, Wales have played SANZAR nations 95 times and won 14 times, that's a 14.7% win. Since 2000 it's been 3 wins from 45 or 6.6%. I knew it was bad but that's actually quite shocking, it's worse than Scotland :|

I don't. We had 20 years of the welsh public dining out on the Welsh team of the 70's. Imagine what would happen if they actually beat a SH team? :)

Just did some checking, Wales have played SANZAR nations 95 times and won 14 times, that's a 14.7% win. Since 2000 it's been 3 wins from 45 or 6.6%. I knew it was bad but that's actually quite shocking, it's worse than Scotland :|

Wales has won SA just the once but that belies the close nature of many of those games (and most of the recent and relevant ones). That's why I said it defies belief.

But to bring balance to this discussion, Scotland and Ireland have also had better recent results against SA than England ;P

wha...what?

I know it sounds like lunacy...and I would be very worried about seeing it attempted outside of a trial match, but Tipuric is easily one of the most versatile rugby players Wales has to offer right now. In an a completely experimental environment, I'd like to see how he works as an alternative to Jamie Roberts. The battering ram approach is great when it works but when it doesn't it completely stunts our attacking options. Playing Tipuric next to Davies would put two very creative and versatile players right next to each other and just might create some magic. Plus, then you get the benefit of having Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau AND Tipuric sniffing around every breakdown, which is a pretty enticing thought in my book!

Like I said I know it's crazy - never expect to see it happen and it could be a disaster if it did, but I'd sooner put Tipuric in the centre in the event of an injury crisis rather than put George North there again - it just didn't work!

Taking after Jbobo, this is my ranking of the players I would be happy to see playing for Wales, in order, so to some degree of international class. The ones in bold are the starting line-up for this autumn, and the italics are the larger squad for this autumn. Players in brackets are injured.

Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Nicky Smith, Ryan Bevington, Rob Evans
(Ken Owens), Richard Hibbard, Scott Baldwin, Emyr Phillips, T Rhys Thomas
Adam Jones, Samson Lee, Craig Mitchell, Aaron Jarvis, Nicky Thomas, Rhodri Jones [Adam subbed on around the hour mark]
Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Ian Evans, Jake Ball, Bradley Davies, Andrew Coombs, Lloyd Peers
Dan Lydiate, Ryan Jones, Josh Turnbull, James King, Aaron Shingler
Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Sam Lewis, Josh Navidi, Nick Cudd, James Davies?
Toby Faletau, Dan Baker, daylight, Rory Pitman, Andy Powell
Rhys Webb, Mike Phillips, Gareth Davies (If fit), Richie Rees, Rhodri Williams (If Davies is injured), Lloyd Williams, Jonathan Evans
Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Rhys Priestland, James Hook, Owen Williams, (Matthew Morgan)
Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Scott Williams, Cory Allen, (Ashley Beck), Owen Williams, Andrew Bishop
Alex Cuthbert, George North, Eli Walker, Hallam Amos, Jordan Williams, Hanno Dirksen
Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, (Matthew Morgan), Lee Byrne

I would rather have November series with less 'high profile' tests. Play one or two of the SANZAR nations, but arrange for maybe two Wales A fixtures against Georgia, Russia, Canada, US, etc. Right now the big thing is RWC2015, I'd rather develop the squad for it at this point, try out some players and device who to bring to 6N, and who to leave out for the time being.

I would rather have November series with less 'high profile' tests. Play one or two of the SANZAR nations, but arrange for maybe two Wales A fixtures against Georgia, Russia, Canada, US, etc. Right now the big thing is RWC2015, I'd rather develop the squad for it at this point, try out some players and device who to bring to 6N, and who to leave out for the time being.

Sensible but not good for the coffers unfortunately!!!!!

Completely agree, daft that we have never played Georgia or Russia!
Though tonymanx hits the nail on the head, would be a hit to the finances so won't happen any time soon.

Wonder how much even just one A game running on the same weekend as a full game would cost? Could probably make a tidy sum if they do what they did with that trial match and shove it somewhere like the Liberty, and charge £10 - £15.

Completely agree, daft that we have never played Georgia or Russia!
Though tonymanx hits the nail on the head, would be a hit to the finances so won't happen any time soon.

Wonder how much even just one A game running on the same weekend as a full game would cost? Could probably make a tidy sum if they do what they did with that trial match and shove it somewhere like the Liberty, and charge £10 - £15.
Not sure how the regions would feel about losing 46 players while the season is still on.

What's the deal with Anscombe? I was initially assuming that he was going to be rushed in the Welsh side ASAP, but it appears (from the above posts) that it will not be the case.

What's the deal with Anscombe? I was initially assuming that he was going to be rushed in the Welsh side ASAP, but it appears (from the above posts) that it will not be the case.

Current suggestions seem to be that he won't leapfrog into the Wales squad until he's had some game time at the Blues, which if I remember right won't be happening until end of October/early November. Not really enough time to get settled in the Wales coaching setup. All being well I'd expect to see him make his first Wales cap in the Six Nations, either as a sub or perhaps a start against Scotland or Italy. Really hoping he does well - but also a bit worried about the instability it might cause at 10 - it took way too long for Gatland to settle on Biggar at 10 in my opinion. He nailed it for the 2012 Six Nations but the 2013/14 season seemed to involve a lot of flapping around between him, Priestland and Hook, that ultimately resulted in some very inconsistent results. For me Priestland and Hook aren't doing enough to be in contention (though Hook could still appear elsewhere and is a very reliable sub) - think it'll be Anscombe and Owen Williams knocking on the door in 2015.

Gareth Davies has been ruled out for 12 weeks with a knee injury.
Rhys Webb, Phillips, and Rhodri in the squad?

Latest posts