• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs South Africa

I'm just worried that the loss against Ireland was such a big knock mentally for the Boks, that this will affect their performance in the remaining three games. I am very nervous about Saturday, I know England have a few players injured, but still a nervous Bok side isn't a good Bok side at all and can easily lose again.

Pollard is more inconsistent than Lambie. But then again those 2 aren't picked for just kicking at goal like we did with Morne Steyn. This competition between the fly halves is a good thing. It shows that if you're not performing, there is a suitable replacement.
Yes that is good competition, but now is Lambie's big moment, to show that he can actually play test rugby and handle the pressure, to cement his place in the starting 15. This is the first time that he will start at flyhalf if I'm not mistaken.

Predictable though ti may be coming from another Bath supporter, I also want Ford starting. I take your point, goodNumber10, that there is no reason to start someone just to give him game time, but for me this is the perfect time to give Ford game time because right now he is clearly better than Farrell. I appreciate consistency of selection and yadayadayada but if Farrell plays like he did at the weekend and keeps his place then what the hell is he going to have to do to be dropped? Ther comes a point where consistency crosses over into inflexibility, and this point has passed with Farrell.

I'm not one of the Farrell haters, I've backed him for a long time, he is a good rugby player but he is a limited player. When he isn't even doing those limited things well, and there are form players in his position, there is no justification for picking him. Even if it's a question of game plan, Myler is a similar sort of ten (although offering a little more in attack) and has actually been playing rugby all season.

Pleased to see Burger back in the mix for the Boks ... he's game smart, and should add to the Boks chances. I also think Lambie in for Pollard is a good call. Lambie seems to be the more "steady" of the two - I'm a fan of Pollard's running game, and am looking forward to Pollard having a run at perhaps the 50 minute mark.

With regard to the English choice of 10, I think you have to give both of the options a decent run don't you (not necessarily in this match) ... if you are gearing up for the RWC in 12 months, you need to cover for injuries right? ... you guys probably only need two or three options, where as the team that I support, probably needs five! :)

... anyway, you get my point ... don't put all of your eggs in one basket

I love it when the excuses come falling on top of each other.
The southern hemisphere teams are missing players, they have played incredibly long seasons behind them and they are still ploughing toward the last matches of their long year.
Northern hemisphere teams are fresh and ready to go with home advantage.
Please give the endless excuses a rest and get on with the rugby.

Bell..........end

Hello all been looking for a decent rugby forum to discuss the game so this looks like the place.....

Here's my 2p......

With both teams somewhat backed into a corner after the result/performances of last week it should make for an intense and highly physical encounter. I started out saying England needed to win 3/4 of these tests to be seen as moving forward and progressing from where they were. I think it will be tight. I think our backrow is completely unbalanced particularly for this clash we need a stronger physical presence/carrier in the from of Haskell, as much as I like Tom Wood as a player I don't see him as a sub and isn't bringing enough to the team with what seems to be the first choice 7/8. Same goes for Billy V, he's just a bit too one dimensional for me and up against a physical well drilled opposition pack gets stopped on the gain line. Unlike Wood though I think Vunipola is an impact player and could do a job from the bench when the opposition is tiring. Robshaw is part of the problem but is the least likely to be dropped, without a fetcher in there teams aren't having to worry too much about the breakdown.

The Saffers don't have the physical edge you'd have come to expect and they've been trying to vary their game. Bismark starts on the bench, Etzebeth was out injured for a while and doesn't look to have got anywhere near to the form he was showing a couple of years ago. Matfield despite being in good shape for his age is pushing 39 and shows the issues the Boks are having at lock. No Alberts available in the back row, no crash ball type centre currently available. New wonder kid Pollard dropped to the bench, Lambie will know it if Lawes gets to him. Duane Vermeulen however is superb and up there with Kieran Reid for me. Generally whole sale changes after the Ireland defeat is good news for England IMO. The rolling Faumuina try last week was worrying that our forwards couldn't kill it but I think we may just have the edge tomorrow up front.

I get that Farrell is your first choice #10 Mr Lancaster, I've never been his biggest fan but have come to realise he's young but overall a good if limited player WHEN on form. If for any reason something happens this season and he's not available for the WC we've limited experience within this side to step up. Like a lot of people it seems I'm disappointed Ciprinai was not in the squad.

Young Watson starting on the wing, exciting player hope he does well.

ETA the front page say Steve Walsh is Australian? Thought he was a Kiwi?

Farrell to have a massive game. You heard it here first.

Farrell to have a massive game. You heard it here first.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

The Saffers don't have the physical edge you'd have come to expect and they've been trying to vary their game. Bismark starts on the bench, Etzebeth was out injured for a while and doesn't look to have got anywhere near to the form he was showing a couple of years ago. Matfield despite being in good shape for his age is pushing 39 and shows the issues the Boks are having at lock. No Alberts available in the back row, no crash ball type centre currently available. New wonder kid Pollard dropped to the bench, Lambie will know it if Lawes gets to him. Duane Vermeulen however is superb and up there with Kieran Reid for me. Generally whole sale changes after the Ireland defeat is good news for England IMO. The rolling Faumuina try last week was worrying that our forwards couldn't kill it but I think we may just have the edge tomorrow up front.

ETA the front page say Steve Walsh is Australian? Thought he was a Kiwi?

If I may interject here.

Schalk Burger coming in brings in more physicality to our pack than Mohoje.
Lawes won't know it when one of our guys gets to him (he'll be on the ground again, concussed).
It's the same 23 that played against Ireland last week, there's just rotation of 5 guys from the bench to the starting 15.

Also Steve Walsh is a Kiwi, but he's registered as a referee with the ARU, and therefore is a Aussie Referee.

While I don't think we are quite as physical as we were a year ago due to the dip in form or injuries of some key players I don't think the changes will affect our physicality Strauss is plenty physical as is Burger.

Don't get me wrong I still expect a hugely physical encounter and I do think SA are ahead on the curve of improvement Vs England since both teams had new coaches. The last time England were in South Africa we were out muscled I don't expect that to be the case tomorrow.

If I may interject here.

Schalk Burger coming in brings in more physicality to our pack than Mohoje.
Lawes won't know it when one of our guys gets to him (he'll be on the ground again, concussed).
It's the same 23 that played against Ireland last week, there's just rotation of 5 guys from the bench to the starting 15.

Also Steve Walsh is a Kiwi, but he's registered as a referee with the ARU, and therefore is a Aussie Referee.

It's not a competition to see who can concuss each other... the point in relation to Lawes wasn't about physicality so much as Lawes like to put pressure hits on half backs

It's not a competition to see who can concuss each other... the point in relation to Lawes wasn't about physicality so much as Lawes like to put pressure hits on half backs

I know that! It was an attempt at humour, as I don't think South Africa is the best of opposition for Lawes to play against with him getting concussed...

^ Fair enough then, and yes I'm inclined to agreee :p
@Grizwald I don't believe Billy V is one dimensional; we know he has an offloading game etc but I agree at present he's lacking it. New Zealand nullified him completely and I expect South Africa will do the same. Personally I think he'd be helped by losing a couple of kilos...
Morgan for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I genuinely hope we do see a massive game from Farrell. We need it....i just hope that he isnt a massive influence on the game....in a negative manner!

it's very simple really, if england get it right up front Farrell will play well enough.

I would say the p*ss poor breakdown performance last week, coupled with Danny care having a shocker, was of far greater detriment to Englands attacking ambitions than Farrell or Barritt being in the side.

Farrell struggled with kicking because he was continually kicking off slow static bad ball, to the best back three in the world - he had very few options the obvious tactic was to box it from 9 and that was scuppered by bad kicking and poor chasing.

Both he and Care need to improve at tactical kicking, and our kick chase needs to get better but it really needs a better performance up front to deliver that.

We're still a country mile away from looking capable, decisive and clinical close to the oppo line. Eastmond is our best hope here. Last week, that pass should have been taken by Brown. None of Twelvetrees, Barritt, or Burrell would have even put Brown into that try-scoring position.

That's why its such a shame Joseph isn't getting a look in. The guy's got the kind of feet you need close to the line.

There's a lot of discussion here about what is happening in the backbone of both teams, but the truth of this encounter, is this...
The glory boys out the back will not decide thuis contest.
No , no , no
This contest will be decided by 16 players, 8 from each team , the first eight and no others will matter in this contest.
England vs the Boks will be the most bruising encounter on the planet, second to none in its physicality.

Latest posts