• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Ireland vs Italy (Round 4)

He won't score wonder tries off the bench but neither will any of our wingers to be honest, ideally I'd start Fitzy and Earls with Bowe on the bench but for the very structured game which Schmidt is successfully using needs consistency rather than flair.

Look maybe they will or won't but a guy like Zebo has that unpredictability but as I said I can understand McFadden on bench. But at times too structure has to go out window when throwing kitchen sick at opposition.

Look maybe they will or won't but a guy like Zebo has that unpredictability but as I said I can understand McFadden on bench. But at times too structure has to go out window when throwing kitchen sick at opposition.

Does he though? A lot of Zebo's tries are finishing off on the wing with a pack that dominates, personally I think the only winger who can make something out of nothing is Bowe. I think Zebo is a player who should either start are be left out and Trimble and Kearney haven't done anything to be dropped. I kind of agree that McFadden isn't the man for a last gasp shot to nothing but a team shouldn't be picking a bench on the possibility they might be losing but rather pick a bench to win the game.

Does he though? A lot of Zebo's tries are finishing off on the wing with a pack that dominates, personally I think the only winger who can make something out of nothing is Bowe. I think Zebo is a player who should either start are be left out and Trimble and Kearney haven't done anything to be dropped. I kind of agree that McFadden isn't the man for a last gasp shot to nothing but a team shouldn't be picking a bench on the possibility they might be losing but rather pick a bench to win the game.

I'm not saying others can or can't but watching Zebo day in day out I'd say he can make something out of nothing. Can he do it at international level? Possibly but can't say definitely. But the bench in my opinion should be something that is different.

@ruggabee
If the desire is to get pace into the Ireland team, Jared Payne isn't the answer. He's a classy player but won't beat many in a foot race.

@ruggabee
If the desire is to get pace into the Ireland team, Jared Payne isn't the answer. He's a classy player but won't beat many in a foot race.

I'm not expecting him to beat anyone in a foot race. I'm not expecting him to score a try all on his own. What I want, which he does well, is to makes things happen. He has enough pace and the playmaking ability to do that. Whatever happens after is down to the rest of the team being in support.

@ruggabee
Agreed what I think he will bring is a realistic threat to Kearney. As I said he's not good enough internationally for 13 but good alternative at 15.

To win in France is a tall order but Irelands form has been very consistent throughout the tournament. Joe Schmidt has also brought the feel good factor back into the Irish dressing room and this is clearly evident in the way the players are responding on the pitch. France on the contrary, have played poorly and still exhibit all the traits of a side who lack unity. That being said, they are a team who possess real talent and should their mood chance on the day, they might just spring a surprise on our boys in green but I remain quietly confident of bringing home the silverware and watching O'Driscoll bow out in style. Come on the boys in Green

Good to see Peter O'Mahoney back in the squad, the man just never get tired of running through brick walls. Here is a video of him doing some light training for Munster

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts