• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. Australia in Rosario (05/10/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

Estadio Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario (05/10/2013, 23:00 GMT)
Argentina.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Australia.png

Referee: Wayne Barnes
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

Assistants: Jaco Peyper
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
& Greg Garner
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

Television match official: Ben Skeen
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Argentina
TBD

Australia
TBD

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. New Zealand in Rosario (05/10/2913)????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Argentina vs AUSTRALIA, buddy!

;)

Wayne Barnes? as an argentinian, should I be worried?

Doesn't matter from which country you are. If he's the referee, prepare for a game full of weird calls. Can go both ways.

first Argentinian win in TRC. A historical day for the Pumas. Can't wait.

I predict a couple of tries by the Aussies but fine defense from the Pumas, a huge effort up front and demolition of the Aussie tights throughout 80min. One try for the Pumas or two, one from the forwards play. A pretty tight affair and the Pumas by 4. They'll make their kicks and take this one.

I predict a couple of tries by the Aussies but fine defense from the Pumas, a huge effort up front and demolition of the Aussie tights throughout 80min. One try for the Pumas or two, one from the forwards play. A pretty tight affair and the Pumas by 4. They'll make their kicks and take this one.

I wouldn't be so confident about it. This Aussie team can get us in trouble easily and even though it's not a great moment for them they still have some good quality players in their squad. Also if we play with Landajo and Hernandez in our starting XV they have a huge advantage above us.

The ideal team for this match would be:

1- Marcos Ayerza
2- Eusebio Guiñazu
3- Juan Figallo
4- Manuel Carizza
5- Patricio Albacete
6- Juan Fernández Lobbe
7- Pablo Matera
8- Juan Manuel Leguizamón
9- Tomás Cubelli
10- Nicolás Sánchez
11- Juan Imhoff
12- Felipe Contepomi
13- Marcelo Bosch
14- Horacio Agulla
15- Lucas González Amorosino

But sadly Phelan prefers to keep his friends in the squad.

I wouldn't be so confident about it. This Aussie team can get us in trouble easily and even though it's not a great moment for them they still have some good quality players in their squad. Also if we play with Landajo and Hernandez in our starting XV they have a huge advantage above us.
I agree. Not only Australia is a tricky opposition, but in the last year the pumas seemed to be exhausted in the last game. Hopefully that wont happen again. In addition, during the Phelan era we have been suffering from the fact that we dont know how to close tight games (Scotland in the WC is the only exception i can think of), specially against the 3 powerhouses.
However, if we manage to play like we did against the AB, with the same agresiveness and concentration, we might get the first win.

Also, I agree that Hernandez last saturday was probably one of the worst players on the pitch. By now we know that he will never be again the player he was in 2007, however, I believe he is still more reliable than Amorosino, and his kicking game is far better as well.

It's a pretty big ask for Australia, given that it's a home game for the Pumas, and their form is poor at the moment ... I would like to see the Pumas carry through with a complete, 80 minute performance, like they have shown so much promise of doing, but just seem to let the other sides off the hook in the latter parts of the game.

... hopefully they can achieve their first win of the comp, but the motivation of some of the Wallaby players losing their places in the Wallaby squad, might just motivate them for the win.

Pumas should dominate the Scrums and Lineouts, and should generate a few penalties from infringements, so they should have plenty of scoring opportunities.

I predict a narrow win to the Pumas :)

We were all saying that for this match last year, and it never happened.

This year however, the Woeful Wobblies are even more woeful, and despite the shocking start (an aberration IMO), I think the Pumas have been better.

The Pumas will dominate at scrum time. If the All Blacks couldn't hold them the Wobblies have no show. The Pumas should take a leaf out of Ireland's book at RWC 2013, where Ireland kept it tight and played to their strength. It could be a long day at the office for the guys in gold jerseys with Nos 1 to 8 on their backs!

ETA:

Ranking implications

Argentina win by over 15
- Australia go down to 81.25 and drop to 6th behind Wales
- Argentina go up 78.50 and overtake Scotland into 8th

Argentina win by 1-15

- Australia go down 81.95 and remain 4th
- Argentina go up 77.80 and overtake Scotland into 8th

Result is a draw
-Australia go down to 82.95 and remain 4th
-Argentina go up to 76.80 and remain 10th

Australia win by 1-15
-Australia go up to 83.95 and remain 4th
-Argentina go down 75.80 and remain 10th

Australia win by over 15
-Australia go up to 84.25 and remain 4th
-Argentina go down to 75.50 and remain 10th

Last edited:
during the Phelan era we have been suffering from the fact that we dont know how to close tight games (Scotland in the WC is the only exception i can think of), specially against the 3 powerhouses.

And that Scotland game in the RWC was an undeserved fluke based on an egregious refereeing error as well.

I think Argentina struggle to win tight matches for the same reason as SA does though arguably at a step higher and that is if we do not get forward dominance and/or our forward dominance does not translate into points via the boot whether through bad kicking or a ref that does not for whatever reason 'reward' forward dominance or blow up illegal tactics that spoil the benefit we get from said assumed dominance upfront, well, that's pretty it to a degree because plan B we are uncomfortable with.

I think Argentina struggle to win tight matches for the same reason as SA does though arguably at a step higher and that is if we do not get forward dominance and/or our forward dominance does not translate into points via the boot whether through bad kicking or a ref that does not for whatever reason 'reward' forward dominance or blow up illegal tactics that spoil the benefit we get from said assumed dominance upfront, well, that's pretty it to a degree because plan B we are uncomfortable with.

I don't know what you're talking about stormer2010. South Africa are great at getting on the right side of a close match. They are a clinical side who can win even when not playing well.

In the match this year between the two sides in Mendoza, when Argentina had the narrow lead and the match was evenly poised. In the last 15, South Africa took control and controlled territory and created penalties whilst the other looked clueless in how to close out the match.

I don't know what you're talking about stormer2010. South Africa are great at getting on the right side of a close match. They are a clinical side who can win even when not playing well.

In the match this year between the two sides in Mendoza, when Argentina had the narrow lead and the match was evenly poised. In the last 15, South Africa took control and controlled territory and created penalties whilst the other looked clueless in how to close out the match.

When I said 'at a higher level' I was refering more to matches against NZ and Aus, particularly I felt we let slip games in SA against NZ where Smit missed Nonu (okay, so he he had his boot LOL), the one against Aus with the Beale penalty though credit to Beale that was a wonderfully taken shot at goal and to a lesser degree we dropped off mentally against NZ 3 weeks ago; that match should have been tighter and I don't want to bring in the card, I'm over that- we let off the focus at that point while we should have upped the ante for that 10 minute period and maybe Bissie could've stayed on the field if the focus was really there but for ill discipline more through a lack of focus than malicious intent IMO... and then the big one being our RWC exit.. but lets leave that one alone.

Pumas team for this match:

Formación de Los Pumas/p>
1- Marcos Ayerza (44 partidos  5 puntos)
2- Eusebio Guiñazú (32 partidos  5 puntos)
3- Juan Figallo (22 partidos  5 puntos)
4- Julio Farías Cabello (26 partidos  10 puntos)
5- Patricio Albacete (54 partidos  5 puntos)
6- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (capitán) (55 partidos  25 puntos)
7- Pablo Matera (7 partidos  10 puntos)
8- Juan Manuel Leguizamón (51 partidos  50 puntos)
9- Martín Landajo (23 partidos  5 puntos)
10- Nicolás Sánchez (13 partidos  77 puntos)
11- Juan Imhoff (17 partidos  55 puntos)
12- Felipe Contepomi (86 partidos  651 puntos)
13- Marcelo Bosch (22 partidos  29 puntos)
14- Horacio Agulla (47 partidos  20 puntos)
15- Juan Martín Hernández (43 partidos  114 puntos)
Suplentes/p>
16- Agustín Creevy (27 partidos)
17- Nahuel Lobo (6 partidos)
18- Juan Pablo Orlandi (13 partidos)
19- Manuel Carizza (37 partidos  5 puntos)
20- Benjamín Macome (14 partidos  10 puntos)
21- Tomás Cubelli (17 partidos  20 puntos)
22- Santiago Fernández (29 partidos  13 puntos)
23- Lucas González Amorosino (25 partidos  20 puntos)

Pumas team for this match:

Formación de Los Pumas/p>
1- Marcos Ayerza (44 partidos 5 puntos)
2- Eusebio Guiñazú (32 partidos 5 puntos)
3- Juan Figallo (22 partidos 5 puntos)
4- Julio Farías Cabello (26 partidos 10 puntos)
5- Patricio Albacete (54 partidos 5 puntos)
6- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (capitán) (55 partidos 25 puntos)
7- Pablo Matera (7 partidos 10 puntos)
8- Juan Manuel Leguizamón (51 partidos 50 puntos)
9- Martín Landajo (23 partidos 5 puntos)
10- Nicolás Sánchez (13 partidos 77 puntos)
11- Juan Imhoff (17 partidos 55 puntos)
12- Felipe Contepomi (86 partidos 651 puntos)
13- Marcelo Bosch (22 partidos 29 puntos)
14- Horacio Agulla (47 partidos 20 puntos)
15- Juan Martín Hernández (43 partidos 114 puntos)
Suplentes/p>
16- Agustín Creevy (27 partidos)
17- Nahuel Lobo (6 partidos)
18- Juan Pablo Orlandi (13 partidos)
19- Manuel Carizza (37 partidos 5 puntos)
20- Benjamín Macome (14 partidos 10 puntos)
21- Tomás Cubelli (17 partidos 20 puntos)
22- Santiago Fernández (29 partidos 13 puntos)
23- Lucas González Amorosino (25 partidos 20 puntos)

Well, Wallabies by 10+ then...

Latest posts