• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst injury I've ever heard of....

• Thread starter edinburgh_gunner
  • Start date
E

edinburgh_gunner

Ok, so here's the story.

Last Monday night back trainign with u18 side having been playing with the senior XV for the past couple weeks. Doing 7s training so we're playing a game of 7s. I take a crash ball with a nice tasty angle and completley boomed one of our centres who was trying to tackle me. Off I go and score, then he doesn't get up and he's clutching his balls. Natrually, I thought I'd just caught him and he'd just caught a knee one in the sack and it was a bit sore. About half an hour later when the session ends he's still in a lot of pain and he's not got back up. So, he goes to the hospital after the session. Next day, the manager phones me up and says that Robbie, the guy who took a sore one, got rushed to the main hospital in Edinburgh. He had an emergency operation overnight to get one of his testicles removed from up near his kidney. Turns out that the force of the bosh and sent it back up there, and he had a ruptured kidney and internal bleeding and he's lost a third of one of his tecticles as a result....

This is definatley the worst injur i've heard of. Thankfully he's on the mend, and should be playing again in 8 weeks but still. It's a horrific injury, and I'm just amazed at how it happened and the fact that it did! It was a freak accident but I do feel bad for the guy, he's a mate after all.

Have any of you heard of horrific injuries like that happening?

I stood on a boys leg when at under 16's level.
He was a skinny guy playing in the second row, long spindly legs.
It was a ruck if I remember and I was trying to get the ball, his leg got in the way and my weight (13-14 stone at the time) came down on his knee and bent it sideways.
Ambulances were called and he got carted away.
I think it was mostly my fault, subsequent blame falls on the coach for putting a skinny lad in with all the big guys when things will be stood on, and himself for putting his leg in the way of the ball.
I didn't get punished, the forwards as a whole did though.
I scored a try that day :)

Broken legs are common in rugby, necks are less so but probably more serious.

My point is, as far as crazy nasty injuries go that has to be up there. Goes to show, even the most innocent of scenarios can result in something as horrible as that.

Myself: Dislocated ankle and broken fib (similar to Eduardo)

Another match: Opposition player broke all his bones in his right and left leg and dislocated both ankles (I think!)

I played in a game where a guy got trapped at the bottom of a ruck, broke his neck and is now paralysed for life.It is incidents like this that make you realise the dangers we all encounter playing the game we love.My worst injury after an acl was having my ear split in two by a stamp. It got infected and I was off work for a month with blood poisoning,vey painfull and I had an ear twice the size as it normally was for ages.The chicks didnt go much on it as you can imagine.

Broken bones are very common, they can be nasty as far as broken bones go but I'd rather break my leg than have a ruptured kidney due to one of my ballocks being up there.

The worst injury I've ever had was probably tearing my achillies tendon a few years back. Hurt like a ***** for a month and a bit (i was lucky to not snap it). Apart from that, I'm covered in scars but that's the usual. Only ever broken my hand so i'm very lucky to have never had a trully horrendous injury like my friends.

I have had a Dislocated shoulder, Dislocated fingers,broken nose, seperated ribs
and ACL replacements in both knees the last one done three week ago. Gotta
love this game :D :p

Broken legs are common in rugby, necks are less so but probably more serious.

My point is, as far as crazy nasty injuries go that has to be up there. Goes to show, even the most innocent of scenarios can result in something as horrible as that. [/b]

I know I was being a dick. That injury you talked about sounds disgusting and horrendously painful. I know one of my rugby coaches has only one testicle, from an injury like that. I also saw a guy get his knee cap dislocated and had a couple of ligaments tear. Worst scream i've ever heard.

I consider myself lucky as I've never had anything half as bad as what I've heard on this thread. Some of the stuff sounds absolutely awful.

Despite this however, I have seen a fair few injuries on a pitch which I which I hadn't seen. Few years back saw a fella break his ankle in a pretty illustrative way on a very dry pitch (i.e. his foot was hanging off its limb) so that wasn't so nice. Heard and seen a few noses break in not very pleasant ways (for example the poor bloke at my secondary school who had his face run over by a prop), but as I say, luckily nothing to serious on me yet. Saying that, you know what karma's like!!

There is another one up here in Wales, Bryan 'Yogi' Davies playing his last ever game as hooker broke his neck and is now paralyzed!

Quite well publicsied it is!

A long term injury I suffered from playing second row and number eight is the tendons that connect my ears to my head have loosened. I can stick a pinky into a the bit where my ear joins my head pretty deep, I've yet to test how deep haha.

worst injury i ever herd of. a number 8 was at the bottom of a ruck, and those dirty stinking french, rucked him in the balls, tearing one open. needless to say, like the champ he is, he got it sewen back in, and played on. what a f***ing legend! BRING BACK BUCK

Spine injuries, especially when it happens in the front/second row, just makes my blood run cold. There's a reason why there is an international wheelchair rugby comp.

worst injury i've seen from rugby was an open fracture of both forearm bones, although the guy didn't seem to be in that much pain.

The worst other sports injuries i've seen have been spinal injuries from horseriding.

A guy ruptured his spleen after being knee`d in the back in a match I played in years ago and almost died. Also does anyone remember the old american football program on channel 4 used to show some poor bloke having his leg snapped during the intro, that always made me wince.

The worst injury I've seen in practice was when I accidently tore, our only fly halfs', spleen. He missed school for a couple months and had a long scar from his belly button to just under his chest cavity after the operation. He really did a Wilko on me there.
I've got a long list myself but my T9 vertibra (sp?) is definitely the worst. Was in a back brace for 2 months and close to being in a wheelchair as that's one of the areas where the spinal cord has little room for movement.
It still pokes out a bit. Gross!
That was the 17th May 2005, spent 3 days in the hospital (thank god the S14 was on :lol: ), the Sharks gave me Nico Breedt's jersey he used against the Reds with all their signatures on it, and a week and a half later after being fed up of not being able to play, I joined TRF on the 30th.

+1 for ruptured spleens. That sure taught our hooker (and all others for that matter) not to run upright into a tackle.

That's actually how our centre got injured, tried to tackle me waaay to high. I mean, I'm a 100kg hooker and he's about 30kg lighter and about half the width. Not a good idea to go high.

Don't tackle big guys high, you WILL get hurt.

Latest posts