• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why dont people like Eddie Butler commentating?

What annoys me about Eddie Butler is his exaggerated French pronunciation - maybe he does it on purpose!

i suppose he wants to say it as he believes its meant to be pronounced, i have no idea whether he's correct though. anyone else noticed that multiple people say Tipuric incorrectly? i think mainly people say tip-er-ric but occasionally someone will pronounce it Tip-U-ric and for some bizzare reason one welsh presenter on scrum v (i think his name is Ross harries? he's usually the main guy) says Tip-er-rich? yet nobody corrects him, drives me insane

What annoys me about Eddie Butler is his exaggerated French pronunciation - maybe he does it on purpose!

Well at least he's bothered to learn how you should be pronouncing the French names. Better than a lot of sports commentators out there!

Don't mind Moore at all, and really like him and Butler together. Moore knows what he's on about, even went off and got himself trained as a ref to back it all up.

You mean he pronounces like a native Frenchman? That is probably because he speaks the French language!!!

You mean he pronounces like a native Frenchman? That is probably because he speaks the French language!!!

He speaks French quite well. I've heard him a few times, but my point, TM, is that during his commentaries, he has an annoying tendency to exaggerate or over-pronounce the players' names and clubs. C'est tout!

its actually good to hear commentators making the effort to pronounce teams and players names correctly, how many times have i head Trin Duck when it should be tran duuc but some of the French guys are no better my favourite was ROBOWLY pronounced as one word if anyone is having trouble its Rob Howley

Just looked at the list of commentators, co-commentators and pundits and presenters for ITV and BBC, so will rate them as I see fit out of 10.

Presenters BBC
Inverdale 1 (nauseating and boring)
Logan 7
Mohammed 7

Presenters ITV
Pougatch 8
Douglas 4
Bayfield 2

Commentators BBC
Butler 8
Cotter 8

Commentators ITV
Mullins 1
Gillingham 1

Co commentators and Pundits BBC
Moore 10
Jiffy 9
Guscott 9
Wood 8
Patterson 5
Nicol 2
Casteaignaide 8
Martin Williams 8
Tindall 6
Moody 4
Ali Williams 9

ITV Co-commentators and Pundits
Shane Williams 6
D'arcy 6
Scott Hastings 8
Flatman 6
Wilkinson 10
Dallagio 7
Robinson 5
Woodward 0
O'Driscoll 6
Gareth Thomas 4
Geech 9
Monye 2
Bortalami 6
Alphonso 0

its actually good to hear commentators making the effort to pronounce teams and players names correctly, how many times have i head Trin Duck when it should be tran duuc but some of the French guys are no better my favourite was ROBOWLY pronounced as one word if anyone is having trouble its Rob Howley

Ha!
It always makes me smile when I hear French commentators say, "Gloocestair" and Toby Flude"!

The Broadcasting Dream Team for me would be -:

Presenters -: Pougatch, Logan and Mohammed
Commentators Butler and Cotter
Co/com and Pundits Moore, Jiffy, Guscott, Wood, Wilkinson, Geech, Martin Williams, Ali Williams, Scott H, Casteaignaide.

I personally also like the Butler/Moore combination. It has produced some of the best and most entertaining commentary in recent times in international rugby. Butler is obviously going to do the poetic and dramatic pieces for Wales before the Wales matches, because (surprise) he's Welsh. I don't really understand the criticism of this. Moore is a very knowledgeable co-commentator and I've never seen him show bias, so I don't get why people say he is either. He gets animated and angry about England because he has reason to be, what with them not taking any forward steps since 2003 :p

The alternative to the current commentators on the BBC are people like Nick Mullins and his "rolling ball of humanity"

Butler and Moore are the second most unpleasant combination of rugby commentators I've ever heard.
They are boorishly arrogant, uber patriotic and rarely see anything with more than one eye open.

The worst are Aussie commentators, Phil Kearns and anyone with him.
Outrageous bias.

None of these shaved chimps are worthy of the seat once occupied by the great Bill Maclaren.

Best English rugby comments man/pundit for TV I've seen is Johnny Wilkinson, the guy was brilliant. Guscott a distant second.

Last edited:
Ok, I've changed my mind on Butler after his ridiculous piece on last nights scrum V. What a load of utter rubbish that was!

Ok, I've changed my mind on Butler after his ridiculous piece on last nights scrum V. What a load of utter rubbish that was!

Yeah I thought it was a bit daft.

Was like the director / producer / writer / whoever just sat him down and said "Chat some rubbish about feasts, then stuff your face as messily as possible with what we put in front of you"

yea that was by far the worst thing ive seen from him. at least with the ones before the six nations its about rugby, passion etc, not some vague analogy about feeling sick after a big feast. totally bizzare

although this doenst change my view on him commentating! haha

Butler and Moore are the perfect double act, Moore's analysis is usually spot on, the guys ITV had commentating during the WC were rubbish, not only did they talk down to viewers they were uninformative and bland, I found myself turning the sound down whilst listening to radio commentary and watching the box.

Butler and Moore are the perfect double act, Moore's analysis is usually spot on, the guys ITV had commentating during the WC were rubbish, not only did they talk down to viewers they were uninformative and bland, I found myself turning the sound down whilst listening to radio commentary and watching the box.

i think they were trying to appeal to super casual viewers who may not know the general rules of the game. they were bland though

i think they were trying to appeal to super casual viewers who may not know the general rules of the game. they were bland though

It's occasions like the RWC where I think it'd be so easy, and worthwhile, for them to run a second commentary team on the red button for those who follow the game, allowing the main feed to pander to newcomers.

It's occasions like the RWC where I think it'd be so easy, and worthwhile, for them to run a second commentary team on the red button for those who follow the game, allowing the main feed to pander to newcomers.

Am I right in remembering actually happened for the Football World Cup?

Johnny Wilkinson was the best TV rugby pundit during the RWC by a country mile.

They do that on five live but it gets interrupted by football scores but the Scots guy on the radio is far better than any of the television lot

Latest posts