• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why does Australia have to play NZ first?

only 2 bledisloe cup games in world cup year.

so Aussie will have to win both or a 1in and a draw to get it next year.

Was my post hostile?? Is it because I used the word pedantic??

I just think that it's a pointless topic of discussion. That's all, I didn't intend for it to be hostile...

I wont mention Bryce Lawrence :D

You normally lose those opening matches because we are better than you, lets be honest.

These are professional sportsman they do this for a living, a team at that level shouldn't get all butthurt because they lose a couple of games and it shouldn't knock the confidence to win the next ones.

Like people say we are traditionally slow starters so in theory we are at our most vulnerable during that opening game.

You're right, NZ are better than us and it wont make a difference if we play them first or last, I just want them to randomise the fixture to keep the competition as fresh as possible.

You're right, NZ are better than us and it wont make a difference if we play them first or last, I just want them to randomise the fixture to keep the competition as fresh as possible.

I agree from the freshness perspective.

I'm all for the randomisation of the schedule. But as I said, we are now only in year 3 of the tournament and I guess they are still looking at ways to sort out the kinks and so on. What I don't agree on is the moaning of Australia being adversely affected by the current schedule.

I'm all for the randomisation of the schedule. But as I said, we are now only in year 3 of the tournament and I guess they are still looking at ways to sort out the kinks and so on. What I don't agree on is the moaning of Australia being adversely affected by the current schedule.

Nobody is moaning mate.

I simply thought it was an interesting question to pose.

Agree, the tournament in this format is like 3 mini series. The first two NZ/Aus games have purely been Bledisloe Cup matches, the RC hardly came to mind - even when NZ scored their fourth try last week the commentators didn't pick up on it until the restart.
There needs to be alternating match ups every round to keep everyone involved and interested, as lets face it, its hard to have a proper 'tournament' with only 4 teams. I'm not sure of the current discussions but it would be great to see Samoa and Fiji/Tonga involved - the two pacific island places should be achieved on merritt each year to keep them competitive and we can then use the 6N format which is fine.

buddy, you only get better by playing the best... os playing the AB is actually a blessing in disguise, you stop complaining and be grateful

the more often you can play against the best the better

a good example of this is ARG, look how they are improving...

if it was up to me i would play all my tour tests against nz come june or year end

Nobody is moaning mate.

I simply thought it was an interesting question to pose.

GEEZ Guilty, would you just stop with the fkng MOANING already man ??!!

Because, just like going into spooky caves and haunted houses, someone has to go first.

:D yep, they're that scary....(except during World Cup time...) WHAT'S THAT ?! oh nothing, just, uhmm...I was pondering really deeply about this topic...

Agree, the tournament in this format is like 3 mini series. The first two NZ/Aus games have purely been Bledisloe Cup matches, the RC hardly came to mind - even when NZ scored their fourth try last week the commentators didn't pick up on it until the restart.
There needs to be alternating match ups every round to keep everyone involved and interested, as lets face it, its hard to have a proper 'tournament' with only 4 teams. I'm not sure of the current discussions but it would be great to see Samoa and Fiji/Tonga involved - the two pacific island places should be achieved on merritt each year to keep them competitive and we can then use the 6N format which is fine.

And where would said matches be played? Every team would lose money having to play in Apia, Suva or Nuku'alofa - the small stadiums would have to have reduced rates to get a crowd. It would actually run at a loss, which NZ certainly couldn't afford. Some people say play them at Eden Park, which is almost as bad seeing as it would have to be rented effectively free. It is just not at all a financially sound option.

Latest posts