• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

When will Aussie and Kiwi commentators learn to pronounce debut?

From an aussie point of view the craziest sounding name in sth african rugby is wynand olivier

for a while, I wasn't sure who "fay-nad oler-fear" was

^^ haha that is brilliant, there is the one south african commentator who usually does the bulls games who has awesome pronunciation of the afrikaans names. He is a good commentator in general that guy, but i especially love the way he says hougaard and olivier.

Forget the pronunciation, Tony Johnson fails to put names to the correct players.. Grant Nisbett isn't too far off either, I remember, not exactly who it was, but I THINK it was Vincent Clerc, got a run away down the side line and scored and throughout the entire run of play Nisbett was saying "MEDARD!! MEDARD!! MAXIME MEDARD!! GREAT TRY THERE BY MAXIME MEDARD!!!" Then the name came up and it said "Vincent Clerc"... Or maybe it was the other way around.

Forget the pronunciation, Tony Johnson fails to put names to the correct players.. Grant Nisbett isn't too far off either, I remember, not exactly who it was, but I THINK it was Vincent Clerc, got a run away down the side line and scored and throughout the entire run of play Nisbett was saying "MEDARD!! MEDARD!! MAXIME MEDARD!! GREAT TRY THERE BY MAXIME MEDARD!!!" Then the name came up and it said "Vincent Clerc"... Or maybe it was the other way around.

Jonathan Davies loves the French names, just ask Yannick Jazzwan.

Last edited by a moderator:

They're both horrible, I'm constantly shouting corrections at them from the couch. I quite like Ken Laban's commentating in the ITM cup, does good maori and pacific island pronunciation, and always makes a mention of the players high school or club team.

While we're on the topic in general, how truly awful is the NZ Warriors home commentator. I actually don't watch their home games solely because of that guy. I thought it couldn't get any worse than Halligan and McIvor, but it has.

Hugh Bladen generally have the players name mixed up, every year it gets worse as he is about 150 years old and loves them Whiskey...
Still a good old soul

Jonathan Davies loves the French names, just ask Yannick Jazzwan.

You can tell when Ryle Nugent respects a French player cause he over pronounce their name.

Hugh Bladen generally have the players name mixed up, every year it gets worse as he is about 150 years old and loves them Whiskey...
Still a good old soul
Bless him, he is a legend. I actually think he is a pretty good commentator. Good pronunciation of the Saffa names and gives a decent go at the Islander ones.

Someone posted a video a long time ago on TRF... hold on I'll find it...

I actually enjoy the Kiwi commentators. They give credit where credit is due. I just get that pain in my anus when Supersport think all ex rugby players are good commentators. Then there is Hugh Bladen that thinks screaming the players name make his boring two tone voice pleasing. Gerrard de Villiers kak in sy broek.

Then there is those Aussies. When the Aussies complain over them then you know how crap it must be for us. They have the ability to make the game sound alive but hell can they **** you off with their bias bull twang. And they have the nack to drill it into you when the Aussies give you a beating.

But to paraphrase a Aussie commentator
roflbot.jpg

As a neutral I love the Aussie commentators. Their bias is funny, and the dynamics between the commentators are good. If I was a NZ/SA team fan then I could see how they'd get ppprrreeettttttyyy annoying though :p

I don't mind the commentators that much regardless of who they are...unless they are ridiculously biased...then I don't like them.

I actually enjoy the Kiwi commentators. They give credit where credit is due. I just get that pain in my anus when Supersport think all ex rugby players are good commentators. Then there is Hugh Bladen that thinks screaming the players name make his boring two tone voice pleasing. Gerrard de Villiers kak in sy broek.

Then there is those Aussies. When the Aussies complain over them then you know how crap it must be for us. They have the ability to make the game sound alive but hell can they **** you off with their bias bull twang. And they have the nack to drill it into you when the Aussies give you a beating.

But to paraphrase a Aussie commentator
roflbot.jpg
This can't be ponited out enough.

It's not just rugby either, they do it everywhere.

If there was an Internaional NFL, they would talk **** about Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson, and talk up whatever clown they have.

As a neutral I love the Aussie commentators. Their bias is funny, and the dynamics between the commentators are good. If I was a NZ/SA team fan then I could see how they'd get ppprrreeettttttyyy annoying though :p
WEll as long as you know they're biased, then that's half the battle! :p

Latest posts