• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

When will Aussie and Kiwi commentators learn to pronounce debut?

Hairy Scot

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
Does anyone else grind their teeth when they hear "day-boo"?

:mad:

Last edited:
When will Aussie and Kiwi commentators learn to pronounce debut?

Does anyone else grind their teeth when they hear "day-boo"?

:mad:

About the same time that South African commentators will learn to pronounce Masaga (its actually pronounced Masanga)

But hey, even though in English, "debut" should be pronounced "day-bew", the word is actually derived from Middle French (début) so "day-boo" is technically correct in the language of the word... 'ut" on the end of a French word is often pronunced "oo"

Technically with the accented e it should be "de-boo".

Nothing wrong with kiwi or oussie accents anyway, someone has clearly never heard scouse or geordie. Now they are utterly **** accents.

Termination "ut" is pronounced closer to "ew" than to "oo" in french. Try to make an "ee" sound while shaping your mouth as for "oo". That's kind of close.

About the same time that South African commentators will learn to pronounce Masaga (its actually pronounced Masanga)

But hey, even though in English, "debut" should be pronounced "day-bew", the word is actually derived from Middle French (début) so "day-boo" is technically correct in the language of the word... 'ut" on the end of a French word is often pronunced "oo"

Hearing Aussie commentators pronounce Tuilagi without an N the whole way through the Australia Samoa game was kind of a pain...

Alesana made up for it by running over Barnes and haunting Rod Davies' nightmares though :lol:

Nothing wrong with kiwi or oussie accents anyway, someone has clearly never heard scouse or geordie. Now they are utterly **** accents.

That'll be Jimmy Nail, right?

Accent and pronunciation are not really the same thing.

I have some laughs at UK pronounciations from time to time. What the hell is a Bhhaanaaaana. I've heard of a Banana, but a Bhhaanaaana sounds like a middle eastern terrorist organization.

Biggest difference between English accents and North America is probably the stressing of the sylablles though, I would say comPUTer, while COMputer, is what I would generally hear from someone English.

Last edited:
How the Poms say ruler and egg is pretty classic.

I have some laughs at UK pronounciations from time to time. What the hell is a Bhhaanaaaana. I've heard of a Banana, but a Bhhaanaaana sounds like a middle eastern terrorist organization.

Biggest difference between English accents and North America is probably the stressing of the sylablles though, I would say comPUTer, while COMputer, is what I would generally hear from someone English.

Look at the spelling of "aluminium"; then explain to me how yanks manage to pronounce this as "aloominm" instead of "alu-mini-um".

Its one that does really grate!!! They manage to pronounce other metals correctly, ***anium (not tytaynm), Gallium (not gallm). Why in sod's name can't they get aluminium right?

Last edited:
Look at the spelling of "aluminium"; then explain to me how yanks manage to pronounce this as "aloominm" instead of "alu-mini-um".

Its one that does really grate!!! They manage to pronounce other metals correctly, ***anium (not tytaynm), Gallium (not gallm). Why in sod's name can't they get aluminium right?

Because it's spelt ALUMINUM here in North America not Aluminium!!!

Here is the history behind it the 2nd word for the metal was aluminum(after the discoverer had called it alumium), but the Brits thought it didn't sound "classic" enough so they changed it to Aluminium. North America never followed suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum check the eytomology section.

Last edited:
What really grinds my gears is people spelling 'pronunciation' 'pronounciation'.

I can like to be wearing a jeanpant.

Wifffffffff a belt.

Slightly relevant is how annoyingly the English commentators say the Irish names. Hope the New Zealanders don't do it this summer.

You're obviously a master of wit. What an amazing rouse you've pulled.

Latest posts