• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wanted - Second row to play in Ireland

Irishrugbyguy

Academy Player
Hi there, I am on the coaching team for a club rugby team in Ireland. We are looking for a second row to come and play with us for the coming season - August to May. We would like someone with a bit of size and good ball carrying skills to provide some physical power to our pack. We will provide flights and accommodation for the right candidate and will be able to help with employment also. Please contact me if you are interested or know a suitable candidate. Thanks

Hi there, I am on the coaching team for a club rugby team in Ireland. We are looking for a second row to come and play with us for the coming season - August to May. We would like someone with a bit of size and good ball carrying skills to provide some physical power to our pack. We will provide flights and accommodation for the right candidate and will be able to help with employment also. Please contact me if you are interested or know a suitable candidate. Thanks
Stop being lazy and develop! If you got the kind of money to fly someone in and accommodate, your better off spending it in development.

My lock days are done, I'm a 6'5 107kg winger, or at least the last few games I played state so... 7 years ago

Stop being lazy and develop! If you got the kind of money to fly someone in and accommodate, your better off spending it in development.
I agree with the sentiment, but without knowing the circumstances, this take seems pretty harsh.

I would imagine that in the vast majority of cases, opportunities like this arise because a sponsor / sponsors put their hands in their pockets to cover the flight, provide the accommodation and provide the employment. It's unlikely that they would be able or prepared to provide the club with the cash equivalent of the value of this package. Even if money was no object, I can understand the psychology of a sponsor wanting to see a more tangible, quicker return on their contribution, even if it isn't in the club's best longterm interrests.

this has to be some sort of scam, just saw it posted on another rugby forum. we have loads of irish lads rocking up in Aus, if your willing to pay then you could have kept them. and i think any club actually at a high enough level to be flying guys in would be working through agents and scouts....not rando's on the internet

the simple question is which club?

this has to be some sort of scam, just saw it posted on another rugby forum. we have loads of irish lads rocking up in Aus, if your willing to pay then you could have kept them. and i think any club actually at a high enough level to be flying guys in would be working through agents and scouts....not rando's on the internet

It's pretty common practice in the UK. There is no pay, it's pretty much a flight and a room for a few weeks.

Scotland is renowned for it, and SH travellers visiting the UK see it as a good experience

Possibly but there's a club or two would jump to mind in Dublin that would do this sorry of thing!

In fairness how many of the lads emigrating to Aus have the physical profile to play lock at a decent level? Majority if them wouldn't be rugby players either.

As said the job probably wouldn't be high level, probably bar work or admin stuff and is aimed at a young lad looking for year of something different.

In fairness how many of the lads emigrating to Aus have the physical profile to play lock at a decent level? Majority if them wouldn't be rugby players either.

As said the job probably wouldn't be high level, probably bar work or admin stuff and is aimed at a young lad looking for year of something different.
Partnership at Deloitte and a company car is the minimum I'd take for a club that bottled AIL promotion.

several actually do have pretty good pedigrees, have to reach out to their former clubs t get the international clearances although now i think about it our locks aren't irish, would a decent club (still unnamed) be spamming rugby forums? is there that much of a shortage in Ireland? and non professional clubs have a few thousand dollars to drop on rando's from Aus and NZ?

Last edited:
several actually do have pretty good pedigrees, have to reach out to their former clubs t get the international clearances although now i think about it our locks aren't irish, would a decent club (still unnamed) be spamming rugby forums? is there that much of a shortage in Ireland? and non professional clubs have a few thousand dollars to drop on rando's from Aus and NZ?

I don't think they expressly say they're only looking for and Australian or Kiwi? Could easily be the UK or Europe. I don't think it's a great way to run a club but it's not super unusual. Some clubs have a real monopoly on talent for various reasons so depending on the club and their situation, this might appear to be the best option.

I don't think they expressly say they're only looking for and Australian or Kiwi? Could easily be the UK or Europe. I don't think it's a great way to run a club but it's not super unusual. Some clubs have a real monopoly on talent for various reasons so depending on the club and their situation, this might appear to be the best option.
I realise i didn't explain that the first places i saw this posted were on Kiwi and Aussie forums so of course i was looking at it from a different angle

Latest posts