• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales in this pool

Quick question, why is the match between Australia and Wales being played at Millenium stadium? I thought the World Cup was being hosted by just France, not France and the UK. If we're doing like this then can Australia play the semi-final (if we make it) against New Zealand in Sydney?

We supported France to get the RWC this year, as a thank you, we get this game.
Sounds fair to me.

it's a shame matches can't be confined to the country hosting the tournament. in 99 the way Twickenham got the Semis plus Englands games seemed a bit much.

Well not really because only the countries nearby have the opportunity of supporting that team's bid and getting games as a result. USA are hardly gonna get games played at home if they supported France's bid. Plus, it means no southern hemisphere team is ever really going to be able to do that since other countries are too far away to have some matches played there in a tournament like the world cup. The only way it works for us is when we host it together like Australia and New Zealand have, but that's a different matter really.

I'd still rather it was stuck to one country. Part of the joy of the soccer world cup is all nations gathered to compete in one country. You wouldn't feel you've been in the World cup in France when you travel to cardiff for matches. And the unions then support not the best bid for hosting the WC, but the one which will let them make money out of playing games at home.

I'd still rather it was stuck to one country. Part of the joy of the soccer world cup is all nations gathered to compete in one country. You wouldn't feel you've been in the World cup in France when you travel to cardiff for matches. And the unions then support not the best bid for hosting the WC, but the one which will let them make money out of playing games at home. [/b]

Wait...do you mean to insinuate that joy - ney, any form of positive emotions - can be gained from that godawful sport?
I refuse to believe such remarks...

I don't like football either, so maybe a better example would be the Olympics: can you imagine France hosting the Olympics, but with watersports held in Switzerland (especiqally for coastal events) and Gymnastics held in Scotland?

Part of the atmosphere of the really big sporting events is having everyone in the same location.

Quick question, why is the match between Australia and Wales being played at Millenium stadium? I thought the World Cup was being hosted by just France, not France and the UK. If we're doing like this then can Australia play the semi-final (if we make it) against New Zealand in Sydney?
[/b]
I thought it was a thank you for allowing Paris to host some games in the 1999 RWC and for supporting France to be hosts this year.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I thought it was a thank you for allowing Paris to host some games in the 1999 RWC and for supporting France to be hosts this year. [/b][/quote]

It probably was and fair enough. It's just that world rugby should exist for the sole reason of my own personal enjoyment, which would involve all the matches taking place in the same country.

i wouldny knock it... when you see that game next saturday in the ms for the first time this world cup youll see what real atmosphere is.. nd not jst the band from brassed off.

i wouldny knock it... when you see that game next saturday in the ms for the first time this world cup youll see what real atmosphere is.. nd not jst the band from brassed off. [/b]

I have no doubt the atmosphere will be great. It just won't be the atmosphere of a "French" world cup.

I personally agree 100% with stormmaster1. France have enough stadia to host the entire World Cup, and it should be done in that manner.

If a county such as Wales can't host alone, due to lack of facilities, then they should co-host with others (Wales, Scotland and/or Ireland for example). It shouldn't be allowed that countries can 'buy' votes like it's possible to do so at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that our crunch game in pool B against Aus is being held at the MS, we need all the help we can get, but It still isn't right.

I do think it's something that will soon change, along with hosting the thing in developing (rugby terms) countries such as Japan. It's unbelievable that NZ got another WC in front of Japan or another smaller rugby nation. As we can see from this world cup, the smaller teams seem to be making huge strides. Giving one of these countries a chance to host a World Cup would help enormously with spreading the best sport on earth.

I personally agree 100% with stormmaster1. France have enough stadia to host the entire World Cup, and it should be done in that manner.

If a county such as Wales can't host alone, due to lack of facilities, then they should co-host with others (Wales, Scotland and/or Ireland for example). It shouldn't be allowed that countries can 'buy' votes like it's possible to do so at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that our crunch game in pool B against Aus is being held at the MS, we need all the help we can get, but It still isn't right.

I do think it's something that will soon change, along with hosting the thing in developing (rugby terms) countries such as Japan. It's unbelievable that NZ got another WC in front of Japan or another smaller rugby nation. As we can see from this world cup, the smaller teams seem to be making huge strides. Giving one of these countries a chance to host a World Cup would help enormously with spreading the best sport on earth. [/b]

A Japanese world cup would be fantastic. As would an Argentinian one. The problem is that tier 1 nations run the IRB, and provide the finances. They don't ever seem too keen on helping anyone not already a member of their club. I also agree that countries shouldn't "buy" votes.