• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales in this pool

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Popham all the way, that way Charvis & Williams will be 6&7. [/b]

I think Popham should stay at 6 as in the last few test matches he was one of the players who stood out and could say that they actually played well, I cant stand Charvis, hes too fat and too old and too **** to play for Wales. I think it should be Owen at 8, Popham at 6 and obviously Williams at 7
[/b][/quote]

I'm not a Welsh supporter admittedly, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

Owen is nowhere near good enough to play at 8 for me. He has great hands, but doesn't seem to relish confrontation enough for an international back-row forward. I like Popham, but would move him to 8, with Charvis in at 6. Not a big fan of Charvis, but think he is a great player (if that isn't a contradiction in terms). His form in the last season has been out of this world - I guarantee he will be vital at the breakdown come the knockout stages. Assuming Wales get through of course.

[/b][/quote] I agree, Owen is no good as at 8. His best position is at lock.

I'm very surprised with 'Ospreys1987' said about Charvis. Charvis is playing at his best recently & should be dead cert on starting at 6 for Wales.

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I see your point on Owen not being very good at 8 but during the Grand Slam 6 nations he was playing great rugby at 8, with Jones at 6. Maybe its just my personal opinion on Charvis clouding my judgement but I still dont think that he should play in the starting XV. I would rather see Thomas at 6, Williams 7, and Popham 8

I think they are a real danger team. Gareth Thomas is a good player and James Hook is a good young player. Colin Charvis is an inspirational player and he will effeminately have a baring on the fortunes of the welsh team. Gavin Henson is also a match winner on his day and if hits top form along with the rest of the Welsh team, then dont be surprised if they beat the wallabies.

I reckon Wales definitely have a shout at topping the group.
Aussies will be a tough team to beat, but Wales have proven that they can run with the best in these situations.

I agree that Charvis should be in at 6 :
He may be old, he may be carrying a bit of weight, but my good he has been on fire for the Dragons last season.

Not a fan of Popham (I think it's the hair :D ) but would go with him at 8 and Williams 7

I actually read that according to fitness tests Charvis has done recently he's never been fitter, stronger, or faster.
Which is quite remarkable considering the age he's at.

I am a fan of Wales, and I feel a bit worried about their form slipping up in front of a quick, determined team like Fiji (Canada is determined, Japan is quick, and one out of two qualities is simply not enough for beating a 7-Nations team).

I'm sure Wales will lift, as will the teams you have mentioned. I think we will be up for some very close games between nations such as Wales and Fiji.

I really do hope some of the Pacific Island teams can pull of some great wins against the lesser European teams.

I wish so too, but for some reason I get the feeling that, without financial and material support from the IRB, the best years of the Pacific Nations are behind them ('91, '99).

Australia to win the pool with Wales a close second. I think Wales have their best squad of players for a long time and are more than capable of beating Australia in cardiff. I just thing the old heads back in the australian lineup know how to grind out wins and that will prove decisive. Let's hope its a thriller! I really can't see any big surprises other than that but will expect fairly tough matches against canada and fiji.

has that hamster guy been crawling inside glass tubes again .wales in cardiff nice win for us taffs

Werent people writing off Wales' chances of qualifying to the KO stage in 2003 due to a shockingly bad 6N but then Wales showed the rugby world what they were capable of and if it wasnt for Wilko's boot we would have made the semi's

Werent people writing off Wales' chances of qualifying to the KO stage in 2003 due to a shockingly bad 6N but then Wales showed the rugby world what they were capable of and if it wasnt for Wilko's boot we would have made the semi's [/b]

And Robinson constantly scything through the defence like a hot knife through butter...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fl_d56uurTY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fl_d56uurTY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If anything, I didn't think Wilkinson was up to much in that game. It wasn't until Catt came on in the last 20 minutes or so that he eventually settles down, up then his whole game was up the swanny.

what everyone forgets about wales is this: they played really well in 2005 and have done jack all since. they're not a great team at the moment and don't deserve the easy run into the quarters that they've been given.
[/b]

Australia before recently were not exactly World beaters either? Do they deserve to be there?

I sincerely hope Jenkins get the team right. It's got to be a Hook and Henson pairing - otherwise we've got no hope of beating the aussies...

<div class='quotemain'>
what everyone forgets about wales is this: they played really well in 2005 and have done jack all since. they're not a great team at the moment and don't deserve the easy run into the quarters that they've been given.
[/b]

Australia before recently were not exactly World beaters either? Do they deserve to be there?
[/b][/quote]

The difference being that Australia has gotten much better since 2005 wheras Wales have gotten worse.

Only two teams have beaten the All Blacks since 2003 and Australia is one of them.

After watching the 1st England vs Wales warm-up match I finally discovered Wales weakness that Fiji could exploit.

What I noticed was that every time Wales got possession, all their players were spread out...they kept on feeding the back line and passing out wide every time...

Wales forwards were spread out all over the field rather then being concentrated in the rucks

Wales first attempt was always passing out wide..relying on speed and a break at the wings...

whereas England fed most of the balls to the forwards thus resulting in five trys by the loose forwards.

Thus I conclude
Wales halfback.. is WALES weakness...

This halfback lacks experience, he does not know where to feed the ball at certain times and when to slow down the tempo of the game when Wales is not breaking the gain line.

The halfback also lacks leadership skills...he has to talk with the forwards when he needs them...If he doesn't communicate well with the forwards and tell and guide the loose forwards specially what to do than Wales will be aimless and random.

They need to prevent aimless passing, kicking and aimless forwards at the breakdown.

after watching wales in the 6 nations and the last test against England i doubt if they can beatt the promoted fijians

After watching the 1st England vs Wales warm-up match I finally discovered Wales weakness that Fiji could exploit.

What I noticed was that every time Wales got possession, all their players were spread out...they kept on feeding the back line and passing out wide every time...

Wales forwards were spread out all over the field rather then being concentrated in the rucks

Wales first attempt was always passing out wide..relying on speed and a break at the wings...

whereas England fed most of the balls to the forwards thus resulting in five trys by the loose forwards.

Thus I conclude
Wales halfback.. is WALES weakness...

This halfback lacks experience, he does not know where to feed the ball at certain times and when to slow down the tempo of the game when Wales is not breaking the gain line.

The halfback also lacks leadership skills...he has to talk with the forwards when he needs them...If he doesn't communicate well with the forwards and tell and guide the loose forwards specially what to do than Wales will be aimless and random.

They need to prevent aimless passing, kicking and aimless forwards at the breakdown. [/b]
Nice summary there, but the Welsh team was a mix of 3rd choice players with 1st choice players. The both Halfbacks pairings (against England) where 3rd choice players, so hopefully we can solve these problems for the WC.

lee byrne should be in over ceri sweeny! will james didnt see much of him against england yet drops sidoli what is gareth jenkins thinking?