• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales coach Rob Howley sent home from Rugby World Cup amid betting allegations

I know the scale is different being a world cup and all but its like players getting told no alcohol and then getting ****** and getting sent home. Doesnt matter if they have a cheeky couple or are smashing shots all night.they know the rules and deserve their punishment.

He knew he wasnt allowed to bet....he bet....he screwed himself and his team over. No sympathy for him.

For me its not about if the rule is right or wrong or if blanket banning betting is right. Its about him choosing to break the rules.
Nail on head.

Does anyone know when these regulations came in to place in rugby? I have a vague memory of seeing Abdel Benazzi interviewed about the French upset of NZ in 1999 and him saying that a number of the French team had bet on themselves to win, implying that it wouldn't have been legal for them to do so in France, but that it was (at the time) in England.

Feel a bit sorry for Howley the way things are right now on social media. The abscense of any concrete info has lead to widespread speculation from people who dont actually know anything and a lot of rumours that could be much worse than anything he actually did.

Feel a bit sorry for Howley the way things are right now on social media. The abscense of any concrete info has lead to widespread speculation from people who dont actually know anything and a lot of rumours that could be much worse than anything he actually did.
He could you know release a statement through his lawyers. Stating what the allegations are and he admits or denies them.

The fact he hasn't denied them yet suggests he's probably guilty as hell for something. People usually are pretty quick at that kinda of statement if they intend to fight the charges.

I know that count for nothing in a court of law.

Don't know how these things work but I'd imagine it's in his best interest from a legal perspective to keep his mouth firmly shut regardless of whether or not he's guilty.

So far I've seen that

• He bet on Wales to win.
  • He bet on Wales to lose.
  • An infinite amount of other variations of the above involving all sorts of various spreads.
  • Betting on who was going to score first for Wales
  • Betting on Welsh selection.
  • He bet on a whole bunch of other stuff relating to Wales.
  • Most of the above but with teams other than Wales.

Fact is that 95% of people are basically just publicly spreading/making up unsubstantiated rumours.

Last edited:
I work with a former Welsh international who told me today than Howley is known within the game to be a big gambler.

I work with a former Welsh international who told me today than Howley is known within the game to be a big gambler.
That really doesn't mean much he can put as much on the bags as he likes. It's not uncommon for sportspeople to be big into gambling. The issue comes when betting on your own sport with which you an active involvement within the teams/officials.

Why do you agree with the rule? As far as I can see it, after a 10 second ponder, there is no reason for it if you have no control over the outcome, I.e your team isn't involved.

Sure, you may have better information than others, but is that not a problem for the betting company rather than world rugby? Or maybe such a company sponsors the world cup? Or just world rugby is acting on behalf of all betting agencies out of the kindness of their hearts? It is more efficient rather than having all of them do their own policing. And, I suppose if part of fans' interest is derived from the joy of betting then I guess world rugby has incentive to maintain the integrity of that aspect.

Ok, so maybe it makes sense
The problem isn't that you're betting on something on which you don't have any influence, it's the fact you're betting at all. Have you ever seen an unwealthy bookie ? Do people give themselves financial problems through gambling ? What they're trying to stop happening is the situation where a coach/player gets into financial strife and, to get out of it, are in a position to place bets on things they can influence.

What is the latest on this? I have scoured the Web but can't find any recent updates.

Does anybody know anything?

Is Howley still under investigation, has he been acquitted, is he in prison on remand, or has he been sent to 'D Block'?

Haven't heard anything. Assume it's still under investigation. I also doubt they will do anything until after the World Cup to avoid any distractions or negative press.

Banned for 18months, 9 of which is suspended

He used his WRU email address/phone to place bets, hahahah

Last edited:
Cribbed straight from Wales Online - I'm assuming accuracy, always a danger with WO but since it's straight up reporting of findings it should be OK:

"Howley admitted to placing 363 bets on rugby union, featuring 1,163 matches between November 2015 and September 2019.
Two bets were placed on specific Wales players to either score a try or score a try first in a match.
The players were interviewed and denied any knowledge of the bets.
Howley is estimated to have lost £4,000 as a result of the bets"

Absolutely hilarious that he actually lost money ....

Latest posts