• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales coach Rob Howley sent home from Rugby World Cup amid betting allegations

The WRU release states it only came to light on the day they flew out. Also from their account it seems that it isnt just a few silly bets. It reads as though its a lot more sinister to the point they are openly stating they are concerned for his welfare.

I can see some black clouds on the horizon.

If the rumours I've just seen are true then he's in big big doo doo.
Serious question, are we talking personal doo doo or are we talking conspiracy with the Welsh camp doo doo because that could lead to much further consequences in regards to past and future tournaments.

Serious question, are we talking personal doo doo or are we talking conspiracy with the Welsh camp doo doo because that could lead to much further consequences in regards to past and future tournaments.
Bit of both - but mostly WRT his rugby career. I could see him getting a loooooooooong ban from any involvement in the sport

(The worst part of the, alleged, offences is betting on a certain player to miss RWC selection).

Bit of both - but mostly WRT his rugby career. I could see him getting a loooooooooong ban from any involvement in the sport

(The worst part of the, alleged, offences is betting on a certain player to miss RWC selection).

Really?! Wow! You might not want to say your sources, but are they reputable?

Not really liking this. No legit newspaper/online site is saying anything much more than he has breached a certain betting regulation, which is what we actually know. Then it seems people are just saying anything up to him literally fixing games, some are even talking as though he has been convicted as doing such when it's just rumours.

Not really liking this. No legit newspaper/online site is saying anything much more than he has breached a certain betting regulation, which is what we actually know. Then it seems people are just saying anything up to him literally fixing games, some are even talking as though he has been convicted as doing such when it's just rumours.

Tbh your never going to avoid it. It's human nature to be curious. My usual attitude is there us no smoke without fire and it seems very unlikely that this is a complete misunderstanding. Either he's just been incredibly stupid when he should know the rules or he is guilty of some kind of corrupt bets. Either way I won't have lots of sympathy.

Tbh your never going to avoid it. It's human nature to be curious. My usual attitude is there us no smoke without fire and it seems very unlikely that this is a complete misunderstanding. Either he's just been incredibly stupid when he should know the rules or he is guilty of some kind of corrupt bets. Either way I won't have lots of sympathy.

I don't think you can avoid it but people are taking what they hear from a random tweet as gospel. Are people completely unable just to wait until we have confirmation of what happened before they talk with conviction that he is going to get a ling ban etc.? I think he's probably breached the regulations as well but there's a difference between betting on a france vs italy game in the 6 nations to him fixing games so Wales don't score tries.

I know the scale is different being a world cup and all but its like players getting told no alcohol and then getting ****** and getting sent home. Doesnt matter if they have a cheeky couple or are smashing shots all night.they know the rules and deserve their punishment.

He knew he wasnt allowed to bet....he bet....he screwed himself and his team over. No sympathy for him.

For me its not about if the rule is right or wrong or if blanket banning betting is right. Its about him choosing to break the rules.

EEwD1a3WkAAhY6w

From the rumour mill

I think on actual accusations I'll wait until he is formally accused before I believe anything in terms of the specifics.

One thing I think is sure is they'll be be pretty big (ie betting on insider knowledge of the Welsh camp whether he has influence or not) I don't think it would be this hush hush if they was a minor infractions like betting on other games.

Yeah the rumour mill is in full swing and it's easy to jump on the bandwagon. Let's wait for the findings after a full investigation.

Bet on Webb not making the world cup squad? What were those odds, 1-1000000? It has been widely reported and everyone knows he can't be considered as he doesn't have 60 caps, it's been brought up every couple of months since he moved to France. Things like that is why they can't been taken seriously.

Anyone read Lee Brynes autobiography? Theres absolute hatred and lack of trust between the two and Byrne was properly hung out to dry by him....wonder how far it goes and if Byrnes career was cut short for a bet...‍♂️

Anyone read Lee Brynes autobiography? Theres absolute hatred and lack of trust between the two and Byrne was properly hung out to dry by him....wonder how far it goes and if Byrnes career was cut short for a bet...‍♂️

A mate of mine got it for my birthday last year, mostly so I could read the Jerry Collins drinking stories! Howley's behaviour came across as vindictive and rather unprofessional when I read about it, although I was obviously only getting half of the story. Some comments on social media suggest that this has been going on for a long time, if they're right, you could be on to something. I had always assumed that his career was ended by the great pundit that is Jerry Guscott calling him the best player in the world! ;)

Bet on Webb not making the world cup squad? What were those odds, 1-1000000? It has been widely reported and everyone knows he can't be considered as he doesn't have 60 caps, it's been brought up every couple of months since he moved to France. Things like that is why they can't been taken seriously.
How long ago was the bet, though?

Could've been put on when the move to France was announced to his coaches but not to the press.

How long ago was the bet, though?

Could've been put on when the move to France was announced to his coaches but not to the press.

Unlikely there would have been a market on it at that time I'd have thought. Surely requesting a price and certainly trying to put any sort of decent stake on this would have attracted unwanted attention long ago.

Latest posts