• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC: Round 1

Trust the Ospreys to lose the game like that! Ffs!
That was a really good game of rugby tbf. Both sides played quite well throughout with the odd mistake here and there. Really pleased for the Dragons, good win first up at home vs a full strength Ospreys side. Hopefully they can build on a win like that and have a decent season.

Ospreys not far off, but the last 10min. was a little worrying, as despite Dragons making a couple of big errors in the last 5min. (overthrow at a lineout 10m out + missed touch from pen), Dragons still overcame a 9 point defecit.

At least all the matches were very close this weekend and hinged onto the last few minutes. Usually there is at least one match that is heavily one-sided each weekend.

Last edited:
And similarly, Scarlets just had to give away that try at the end! Where is the bottle in the Welsh sides?
Scarlets still look very, very ordinary. Bennetton were poor for large periods, but Scarlets couldn't take enough advantage to put the game to bed. One period of play summed them up for me in the first half - Scarlets lineout around halfway, great carry in midfield I think by their 7, followed by quick ball and another strong carry up to Bennetton's 10m line, what does Gareth Davies do? Box kick the ******* ball - Bennetton score a few phases later!

I just don't see what they're trying to do most of the time, other than playing risk adverse rugby, which doesn't suit their players one bit! Must still be a confidence thing from last season.

Still, I think they would have taken a draw away at Bennetton before the game, so they need to look at it as a positive and build for their next game.

Glasgow got mugged
I was at the game and Glasgow dominated without playing particularly well. Their points came mostly from Ulster gifting them territory from stupid penalties or scrum penalties. They looked much slicker and more dangerous ball-in-hand, but I don't recall them making many, if any line breaks. Their final try was pretty much the only decent move I can recall.

The yellow could easily have been a red and Ulster made very hard work of exploiting their numerical advantage. Glasgow were very cynical and could have been down to 13 quicker than they were.

Ulster's attack was dreadful. Literally sideways in the middle of the park with no attempt/no ability to get the ball wide. On the whole, I thought Morgan looked decent but his conversion attempts were interesting. The first one looked like one of the kids who played at half time took it.

Must say I rewatched our game this morning. And well I seen it last night but certain now Ben Murphy is going to be the Irish 9 by next RWC. Surprised Leinster let him go but he looks the part.

Big call! I think JGP will make it like Smith at the last one tbh
Maybe and not a slight on JGP but he will naturally be slowing down then. Regardless I expect Murphy to be the real winner of next summer. JGP to tour with Lions and Murphy will overtake the rest

Latest posts