• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transitioning from lock to prop

ruckin

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Hey everyone. I've played strictly second row for my entire playing career (4 years now), and as much as I love the position, at only 6'2 tall, I know that I'm better built to play prop if I want to play at a higher level. I'm currently at the college/uni level.

So other than just practicing and getting reps in the front row once practices start again in August, what else can I do to help myself transition between positions? I know props need to have a lot of skill and technique in the scrums so what can I do on my own to help prepare myself for the switch?

Thanks all.

Squats, deadlifts, neck training and if you know any wrestlers/coaches it might be worth your time doing a bit of generalised wrestling, particularly if the coach in question is reasonably familiar with what a prop does.

Squats, deadlifts, neck training and if you know any wrestlers/coaches it might be worth your time doing a bit of generalised wrestling, particularly if the coach in question is reasonably familiar with what a prop does.
It's been an unpaid full time job of mine to squat and deadlift for several years now lol so I'll be sure to keep that train rolling. I'll look into basic wrestling, that sounds like a very good idea, thank you.

Squats and balance exercises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM2je5NbGis

If you're feeling brave.

ha I'll have to save up enough to buy an SUV first.

you're tall (not super tall but tall) and so your technique is going to have to be perfect. if you come up against a significantly shorter prop you're really going to have to work hard to get down so you don't end up with shoulders below your hips or conversely letting them get under you.

other than the obvious exercise...lots of practice against live opponents, get them to drive in on you, twist you and get under you so you can work on what to do when someone does that in a real game. A lot of guys spend to long practicing the shunt and brute force and forget about technique, that playing for a penalty is a real game plan for some props and you need to know how to manage that.

you're tall (not super tall but tall) and so your technique is going to have to be perfect. if you come up against a significantly shorter prop you're really going to have to work hard to get down so you don't end up with shoulders below your hips or conversely letting them get under you.

other than the obvious exercise...lots of practice against live opponents, get them to drive in on you, twist you and get under you so you can work on what to do when someone does that in a real game. A lot of guys spend to long practicing the shunt and brute force and forget about technique, that playing for a penalty is a real game plan for some props and you need to know how to manage that.

very good advice, ty jabby. I have my first match in months this saturday so I think I'm going ask coach to just say screw it and put me at 3.

You should eat more chips and fish :cool:

Nice advert hahaha

Oh don't worry, I plan on gaining a LOT of weight in the next few months! I'm at 231 lbs right now (105 kilos for you lucky guys who live in countries that get to use the metric system).

Adding on from this make yourself invaluable for the work you do around the field. If you can be making back row amount of tackles (which is not that rare at amatuer level, played with a hooker who was our leading tackler for a few years) and not be getting murdered at scrum time going to be fine.

Latest posts