• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Semi Finals

back to the rugby maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its half time and the game is not that great!!!

Yeah but those teams always had many supporters and has a rich history in Rugby. .

Rugby Club Toulonnais was founded on 3 June 1908 as a merger of Étoile Sportive Varoise and members of the Stade Varois, a club based in nearby La Seyne-sur-Mer. It took the club 23 years to reach the top of French rugby, when they won the 1931 championship against Lyon Olympique Universitaire (6–3, 2 tries to 1). The players were greeted by 30,000 people when they returned from Bordeaux, where the final had been held, and the town went crazy for several days.

Toulon remained one of the top French clubs, but they lost four consecutive finals scattered over 35 years (1948, 1968, 1971 and 1985). The 1985 extra-time defeat byStade Toulousain left them with a lot of regrets, and playing in the most spectacular final ever (36–22) did nothing to alleviate the pain of losing. The Red and Black only waited two more years to finally lay their hands on the Bouclier de Brennus, as they defeated Racing at the Parc des Princes. The third ***le came in 1992, againstBiarritz Olympique, in Serge Blanco's last match and last chance to win the ***le.

For eight years, Toulon was not particularly successful and were in heavy financial trouble (a 10 million franc deficit) forced the Ligue Nationale de Rugby to demote them to the Second Division in July 2000. The club missed an immediate return the next year, going down in the final to Montauban, as only one club was promoted that year. It took them five more years to do so as RCT went on to win the Pro D2 ***le. Unfortunately, despite immense popular support (gates averaged more than 12,000), and a lot of enthusiasm, they only managed to win three games out of 26 and were relegated after only a season.

You are not winning on this you know......Racing have a benefactor called Lorenzetti who has provided as much funding over the years.....Toulouse have Aerospatial.......Clermont have Michelin....even dear old Biarritz and Grenoble have had Cap Gemini until recently. No club survives on its income from the supporters or even with the TV money!!!

Toulon have never been top of the budgets for the Top 14 and Toulouse and Clermont have.............get over it and I am not a Toulon supporter!!!

I know that, that's the reason why the Top 14 is the strongest competition in Europe and perhaps the world but I think if there not was so much money involved, Toulouse would remain an important team, Toulon only won with money.

Besides, isn't the same being sponsored by a company than by a millionaire. A company is managed by several people, if a company is sponsoring you because it suits them. Is Not the same Michelin's sponsorship with Clermont than Boudjellal's sponsorship in Toulon, are different things.

I know that, that's the reason why the Top 14 is the strongest competition in Europe and perhaps the world but I think if there not was so much money involved, Toulouse would remain an important team, Toulon only won with money.

....sorry Lorenzetti who funds Racing is not a company...he is a millionaire? Toulon's budget is more than a third LESS than Toulouse and yet ST are not in the semis of both competitions as Toulon are and ST did not even get to the semis of this one?

Besides, isn't the same being sponsored by a company than by a millionaire. A company is managed by several people, if a company is sponsoring you because it suits them. Is Not the same Michelin's sponsorship with Clermont than Boudjellal's sponsorship in Toulon, are different things.

What is the difference between a company sponsoring and an individual.....and there are several...sponsoring Top 14 teams?

Just cannot understand your logic or lack of it!!

What is the difference between a company sponsoring and an individual.....and there are several...sponsoring Top 14 teams?

Just cannot understand your logic or lack of it!!

Is very different and I'm not a Racing supporter. Returning to the game, please.

Toulon have tightened the game up and a resulting penalty in front of the posts give them a 13-6 lead...........with their defence, I think that they can hold/increase that especially as Racing do not seem to know how to attack?

It wouldn't be a French thread without people telling us how much they hate Toulon.

Is very different and I'm not a Racing supporter. Returning to the game, please.

I already have but it is not different in anyway shape or form except in your one sided mind I am afraid......I just wish Boudjellal lived in Biarritz!!!!

It wouldn't be a French thread without people telling us how much they hate Toulon.

HaHa....but never the French!!!

Sexton not having a great game but what a cover by the ref to get to that and see the knock on.....brilliant and no wonder he is so respected!!

Very tight game hope tomorrow is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys can match their pack, you have the enterprise and skills in the back to get back at a team if you get behind - not likely against Castres who are the same as Racing who do not!!

Drop goal JW....game over and what a clever game they have played!!!

Game over....Toulon v Montpellier as expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeahhh but is NOT the same NZRU sponsored by Adidas than Toulon sponsored by a millionaire.

Ok..............Boudjellal allows his company to become a public company listed on a stock exchange (and he could as his business is big enough), like Addidas or Aerospatial or Michelin, and they then continue to sponsor Toulon....what is the difference? Do not tell me that one man does not control a company even a public company because they can and do as I well know and would point you toward Mike Ashley of Sports Direct and Newcastle Untied as one!!!

I fear that I can add no more to open your blinkers and must accept that your view will never be changed by rational argument as it is built on either emotion or the usual herding instinct rather than free thought!!!

I have demonstrated that Boudjellal is no different to many millionaires involved in the Top 14, Toulon do not and never have had the biggest budget, that it is an old and well supported club.....oh and, incidentally, for the 2012/13 season (the last available) they averaged the highest number of French qualified players in their match day squad of any team in the Top 14!

funny how I expect matches to be as a caricature of what they really are. I thought we'd see some beautiful attacking from Toulon, the kind they've managed all year long with Giteau, David Smith, Drew Mitchell and co. I thought we'd see them constantly breaking through tackles with their forwards, and we'd see Bastareaud and his twin Steff. Armittage turn the ball over and the camera zooming into their grinning faces as they pause with the ball in their hand after the whistle...none of that, just an intense, but sober, conservatively played semi-final. With Toulon winning. Period.

Some element about this game:
- Bastareaud never failing to prove haters right: as we say in French, 'un coffre à ballons', a "ball safe". Dude ain't passing, he just isn't doing it. Try if he swings it left during that huge attack in the 2nd half in the corner. Try, no question. But WHAT FKN STRENGTH. He stopped that Cronje dude at full speed DRY and put him down like a sac of shhit. Didn't know he had THAT in him...
- Wilko was worrying at a moment there. Missed 3 in a row. And then, he hit an excellent drop at the end to make up for it, and remind us all never say die with Jonny boy. Pure clutch. Interestingly, the only 2 kicks he did make were impossible !
- Drew Mitchell was fantastic. An unsung heroine, with beautiful blond hair. No, no. I meant his defense, very underrated. (God, what's wrong with me lately ?...)
- Bakkies praying on his knees for the cameras to capture it, nice and clear. A real Christian doesn't show off like that...you can pick a discreet spot in the locker room...and then he turns into a gigantic cock during the match, as if he had to...what a bish. Just play your fkn Rugby and stfu man, for once in your life.

For Racing:
- Ducalcon has, somehow at this point in his career, turned into a decent scrummager. Well, the new rules I'm sure...
- Chavancy is one heck of a center. He gives it his all on the impacts, doesn't matter who's there to defend him. Another guy I'd like to see in Bleus.......
- Planté showed some good creativity and was one of the leading actors in Racing's display of good intent on attack.
- Imhoff though, the other wing, is just too skinny. He's very fast, and can finish off a play or pierce through, but for the rest of the way, i.e. 95% of the time, he's just a liability. Toulon were too big, too physical for his frame.
- Good front row, both at scrum time hanging with or even beating Toulon, and fine in the loose too. Ben Arous showed a little smt to Castro later in the game.
- Right now in perspective, it really does seem like a silly choice to have picked Menini at LH to go to Australia. Chiocci is a starter, not bad in the scrum and an asset in the loose, and he can finish off plays 5m from the line over anybody. Menini is much older, and not even as good...

P.S.:
I support Montypellier and they will be TOP 14 CHAMPIONS.!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Menini is much older, and not even as good...

He was so unimpressive and non descript at Biarritz that I did not notice he had left and gone as a medical joker.......imagine my surprise when I saw his name in the Summer squad....

FINALLY, D Day has arrived, everything in Lille is good and all are ready, the finally touches will be done this morning and then its all about 16.30..............
Montpellier have never lost a TOP 14 semi final playoff, the Gods are with us and whats more its going to happen...... What ever happens its a final against Toulon and they could be knackered after their H Cup final next weekend

ALLEZ MONTYPELLIER !!!!!!

Ah....you have only been on one semi before!!!!

Agree about Toulon and experience shows they cannot make it after the H Cup Final on same basis that you have never lost in a semi!!

Latest posts