• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 10

I am still frustrated by Racings no-show against Treviso in the (what I still call) Heineken Cup (the other name is just too long and without the ring too it though I realize that I could have typed it out 20 times in the time it has taken me to put forth this miniture rant but **** it).

Drop Sexton, drop Roberts, drop Philips, Lydiate and Charteris. Just release them from their contracts and let them have a nice payed holiday on Racing's tab and focus on the guys who can actually be bothered to show some intent for that beautiful sky and white jersey, such understated elegance. Was the problem perhaps that they were playing in the dark blue? No, I suppose not; those players have been performing under expectation for some time now. I'll send the administration the names of 5 young Saffas to replace those players at the cost of one of them and with each one of them who'd probably make more of an effort than those 5 combined.

it IS true the Saffers on the team really do play with determination every game...don't forget Sexton's case: he's promised the glory of a seemingly eternally-awaited homecoming after a couple of seasons away. This year will be a countdown marathon for him and I think for him it's about getting the job done day in day out, another day at the office, but the extra commitment just won't be there.
Whether the Racing organization doesn't know how to make its foreigners feel at home and thrive, ok I'd buy into that, but again, why do the Kruger, VdM, Le Roux, Antonie Claassen or others play with so much conviction on a weekly basis ?
I think they understand the stakes and ambitions of this team, and revel in playing in the Top 14 today; culturally are engaged to not knowing anything other than full commitment and do not have a 'foot off the pedal' function in them, don't necessarily have the star stigma (yes, stigma) and pretensions of being 'world class' internationals.

At the end of the day, the Roberts and co. know this is just temporary, they're not there to invest their bodies and minds long term so no need to get too excited - and after all why in the world refuse a much bigger cheque, a pretty groovy league with lots of big names for a while, an apartment in downtown Paris at the expenses of the firm with everything that entails ? Yeh, why the fk not, sign me up. These guys know they will return to their nations for Test Rugby, where it "really counts" anyways...

Yeah, that's the general feeling I got looking at Roberts jogging into contact, Sexton seemingly just going through the motions. The dip in pace and speed of delivery when Philips came on for Machenaud was markedly slower. Well, this is probably not the thread for airing my frustrations ITO the specific game but it is a trend relevant to the Top 14 in general isn't it. A mean, you get examples at say Toulon where seemingly 'past-it' players rediscover their youth and then you get players brought in off the back of seasons where they dominated all in front of them only to stumble from mediocre performance to mediocre performance with the odd memorable moment thrown in where you do see the class is there if not the full intent. I wouldn't know where to start the discussion. I suppose it has by and large to do with the profile of the player. From my general observations you shouldn't get players in who are the 'finished article'. It looks to me like the best performaers are those who have not yet made their mark or who are throw aways from test rugby who still have a hunger to play the game a high level. But again, that is just my general observation and I don't see it a rule.

yeah I see what you mean about picking guys who still have lots to prove, but again it's a question of temperament and individual human qualities. I know he's a complete one-off, but do you think Jonny Wilkinson had anything left to really prove when he came to Toulon in 2009 ? He did in a sense, but to himself for himself. He probably still challenges himself today in his retirement. Matt Giteau is another example of a guy who had lots going for him, a Wallaby even, and he's done laudably well in France to the point of winning the hearts of all the Toulonnais just like Jonny, getting Player of the Year, and even the Aussies meaning to reevaluate their overseas player eligibility rules and outright asking for him to come back at separate times including some weeks ago. Another Toulonnais, JuanNE sorry Juan Smith which I think you hinted at when you said players finding the fountain of youth. A world champion, high quality forward. EASILY could've taken the money, showed off a little bit of that Saffa power like a beatdown old lion doing the occasional routine at the zoo for his steak and those idiots to clap hysterically. Southeast France, big money, fame...that's WELL enough. But some ppl just have it in them, and it does seem a cultural trait in part, to always want to show their best out there, for themselves and as respect for their club, whichever colors they wear. Bakkies Botha has done Bakkies Botha for Toulon, and everybody here loves him.

Mike Phillips ? He got FIRED from fkng Bayonne because he drank too much ffs.

Yes but I see many of those players as not being the complete article anymore for various reasons. Wilkinson, Gitaeu, Botha, Smith. Those players had an asterisk to their names even if they have achived much on the field already. Be it age or whatever reason, they weren't first choice anymore 'back at home'. I think some of them maybe just wanted a new challenge more than anything but then it still comes down to that word/concept/state of heart called humility then does it? Not having a sense of entitlement.

well yes but in the end, it's the same. Whether you choose professional exile to reinvent yourself elsewhere or because you were picked to come with certain "pressure" (promise of a big salary), it's still down to the character of the person to play with commitment and principle. I reiterate my comment about Juan Smith, didn't have to become this good again. It's very unfortunate because Rugby was ALWAYS about the said commitment and principle, but now there's this proximity with the football industry. Ample salaries, huge transfer market, big names and star behavior, but that's another story of its own.

Clermont Brive Montpellier Toulouse SF Racing Toulon

The Welsh internationals have been disappointing in the league. None of them can live up to the league high standards.

I can't see their clubs holding on to them much longer. They're going to be replaced. Lorenzetti at Racing will run out of patience.

The Welsh internationals have been disappointing in the league. None of them can live up to the league high standards.

I can't see their clubs holding on to them much longer. They're going to be replaced. Lorenzetti at Racing will run out of patience.

I can imagine. I'm just a casual fan and I have been.. frustrated.

I am still frustrated by Racings no-show against Treviso in the (what I still call) Heineken Cup (the other name is just too long and without the ring too it though I realize that I could have typed it out 20 times in the time it has taken me to put forth this miniture rant but **** it).

Drop Sexton, drop Roberts, drop Philips, Lydiate and Charteris. Just release them from their contracts and let them have a nice payed holiday on Racing's tab and focus on the guys who can actually be bothered to show some intent for that beautiful sky and white jersey, such understated elegance. Was the problem perhaps that they were playing in the dark blue? No, I suppose not; those players have been performing under expectation for some time now. I'll send the administration the names of 5 young Saffas to replace those players at the cost of one of them and with each one of them who'd probably make more of an effort than those 5 combined.

I must admit i have to agree with you on the commitment the Saffers put into their clubs, i was at the club till 19.00 on Mon night everybody had left ages ago and i was setting some kit up for a reunion the nexrt day and our 2 saffers left just before me, covered in sweat, good work out, real pros in everything they do!!!! the only others who you see doing that are the Georgians who are as equal to the Saffers as anyone can be, but its not just that i have had several come to eat at the house and they are the most polite nation i have ever met, towards my wife pure gentlemen, always been impressed by their general outlook on all things, and this is all the S A players that have passed through the club, and over the years we have had a few!!!! I have many times been invited to S A by them and this weekend we are going to La Rochelle for the match and afterwards a few beers with Rassie VV who i still keep in contact with.

As I am at La Rochelle from Fri morning Gastons needs to send in his predicktions for this weekends TOP 14. home wins for all bar one which is also my joker just in case,
so one away win that's Montypellier and the rest home wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! absolutely mad choice but Gastons had been reading tea leaves as he does not understand neg reps, notificzaations or whatever you nurds get up too !!!!!!! Ra Ra for Bakerlite, Red telephone boxes Oh!!! and not forgetting Minitel!!!!!!!!!

Ra Ra for Bakerlite, Red telephone boxes Oh!!! and not forgetting Minitel!!!!!!!!!

appelez le 36 15...

I'm gonna go all wins for home teams, joker for Clermont who have produced an only half satisfactory game against Sale and who'll look to correct a number of things here and are on a very good dynamic.

Oh and here, I made this...:rolleyes: Craig Joubert gets a warm reception by 'le peuple'.

Last edited by a moderator:
... i have had several come to eat at the house and they are the most polite nation i have ever met, towards my wife pure gentlemen, always been impressed by their general outlook on all things, and this is all the S A players that have passed through the club, and over the years we have had a few!!!! I have many times been invited to S A by them ...
I've just got back from a short term assignment in Cape Town and can confirm what you say. Good manners means a lot to them. Get on the rugby field and they become very serious and take no prisoners; the Currie Cup being no place for shrinking violets. If you get the chance, go.

I've just got back from a short term assignment in Cape Town and can confirm what you say. Good manners means a lot to them. Get on the rugby field and they become very serious and take no prisoners; the Currie Cup being no place for shrinking violets. If you get the chance, go.
don't worry i have been several times

Gosh, you guys are making me blush. But (inevitably and unfortunately) we also have more than our fair share of.. rude persons though in my few travels I have felt we are better off than the urban parts of Europe I've visited but I think that is perfectly natural since we aren't fully 1st world (plugged in) and still have some values and beliefs that'd be considered out of date in contemporary Western society on top of the stigma/shame (and resulting humility- a good thing mind you) of losing the war for freedom to the British empire and Apartheid where we feel our government and church betrayed our people both quite recently when speaking of the 'consciousness of a people as a whole'.

Gosh, you guys are making me blush. But (inevitably and unfortunately) we also have more than our fair share of.. rude persons though in my few travels I have felt we are better off than the urban parts of Europe I've visited but I think that is perfectly natural since we aren't fully 1st world (plugged in) and still have some values and beliefs that'd be considered out of date in contemporary Western society on top of the stigma/shame (and resulting humility- a good thing mind you) of losing the war for freedom to the British empire and Apartheid where we feel our government and church betrayed our people both quite recently when speaking of the 'consciousness of a people as a whole'.

well that escalated quickly !!! :D
Interesting read though.

well that escalated quickly !!! :D
Interesting read though.

LOL, yeah, I apologize; no person coming to a RUGBY forum should have to read the heavy-hearted tripe I posted above. I'm not sure what came over me.

Thats enough of the sloppy romantic stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough enough enough!!!!!!!!!!!! back to rugby Pat Cilliers prop 27yrs 6 caps for SA, from Western Province, our last signing of the season arrived yesterday fit and ready to go which we need as our front row is in a bit of a state with injuries and International duties (Mas and Misha)

Last edited:
Thats enough of the sloppy romantic stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough enough enough!!!!!!!!!!!! back to rugby Pat Cilliers prop 27yrs 6 caps for SA, from Western Province, our last signing of the season arrived yesterday fit and ready to go which we need as our front row is in a bit of a state with injuries and International duties (Mas and Misha)

:D haha !
Well I must say, the words "sloppy" and "romantic" together do typically remind me things not Rugby related...

Rugby related: Sivivatu not far from returning to the pitch, says Castres. Brilliant news.

Latest posts