• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Over-hyped rugby players

Gaffie Du Toit as well
Bobby Skinstadt
Rougery
Dean Hall
NZ team of the 99, 2003 and 2007 WC's

^ @Cave Dweller: Funny guy, but has a huge hard-on for trolling, hating on NZ rugby. :lol:

Gregor Paul is hit and miss. Would've expected somethign like this from my nemesis Chris Rattue (idiot).
I largely agree with the list (Elsom, Robinson, Spies, Henson, Cipriani, and Lawes). Michalak he has sort of a case. Don't know too much about the other guys, though.

Last edited:
I woudln't read too much into Gregor Paul's article. I think he has done similar ones exclusively about NZ players.
Plus you have to remember, he saying "overhyped", not "poor players"

Here's my list of over-hyped players:

Pierre Spies: WAS a fantastic player. Sadly, these days he is all hype.

Luke McAlistair: All talent, no heart, and it showed in his play. No loyalty or integrity.

Stephen Brett - cannot stress how much this guy was over-rated simply because he came to Auckalnd from the "Canterbury production line"

Isiah Toeava - As someone mentioned previously; his hands let him down far too often, and can be a liability on defence.

Reuben Thorne - loved in Canterbury, adn made an All Blacks captain under (ex-Canterbury) coach Robbie Deans. An average grafter at best.

SBW - say no more.... all hype and offload... little else. Defence is suspect too.

James Small - sorry SA fans, but I always thought that for his attitude and swagger, he was actually doing more than just being on the end of a backline move... but No- thats pretty much all he ever did. He had some pace, I give him that. But the way he walked around like he was god's gift to rugby was laughable. I especially enjoyed seeing him get shut down against the Blues teams of the 90s.

Gavin Henson - for all the reasons stated previously. And that he is a poser

Pat Lam - Not a player... but all hype and spin, and no meaningful results.

^ @Cave Dweller: Funny guy, but has a huge hard-on for trolling, hating on NZ rugby. :lol: Gregor Paul is hit and miss. Would've expected somethign like this from my nemesis Chris Rattue (idiot).I largely agree with the list (Elsom, Robinson, Spies, Henson, Cipriani, and Lawes). Michalak he has sort of a case. Don't know too much about the other guys, though.
So because you saw the word NZ in there you say I am trolling and because I am a Saffer you are implying I hate NZ? Do you know what they say about presumptions?Firstly over hype means promote or publicize to excess. 1999, 2003 and 2007 NZ teams were disappointing were they not? After all the build up and Adidas posters they did not live up to potential. Is that correct. So yes they were over-hyped. Does that mean I hate NZ. No. I have the biggest respect for them. They have been the best side in the world for the last 13 years and have high standards. But being the no 1 team you will have to eat up what is being said when they fail. It comes with the territory. So please do not generalize because I do not call you a Saffer hater and a troll for saying Pierre Spies was over hyped. Although the guy played well and had a injury and was told you never will play rugby again and still came back from that to compete week in and week out. He was never the same after that but I would not call it over hyped. I would call it a player who almost reach his full potential had a career threatening setback. Same as Jonah Lomuh. During the 1995 WC there was all this hype and did not live up to it all in the final. Over hype is a term used in boxing because promoters use that technique to fill PPV. Good example is just check the Cotto Mayweather bout. I think in rugby we use the term overrated and underrated. Spies and most of those players were overrated. You can add Thompson also to that list. Also overrated.

True bro- should have specified that I meant as a coach... sorry I'm still emotional about the Blues season.... Useless pack of (un#$!!!

Majortiy of the England backline at one time or another over the last few years. But only ever been 'hyped' in England so I guess that doesn't count...

But only ever been 'hyped' in England so I guess that doesn't count...
I don't get comments like that.
Remove Stuart Barnes and the sports pages from the red tops (who only really write about rugby once or twice a year) and your average England fan is generally pretty pessimistic about the side.

It's like the old "The English are always going on about winning the world cup" when it's only ever other countries fans that bring up '03!

So because you saw the word NZ in there you say I am trolling and because I am a Saffer you are implying I hate NZ? Do you know what they say about presumptions?Firstly over hype means promote or publicize to excess. 1999, 2003 and 2007 NZ teams were disappointing were they not? After all the build up and Adidas posters they did not live up to potential. Is that correct. So yes they were over-hyped. Does that mean I hate NZ. No. I have the biggest respect for them. They have been the best side in the world for the last 13 years and have high standards. But being the no 1 team you will have to eat up what is being said when they fail. It comes with the territory. So please do not generalize because I do not call you a Saffer hater and a troll for saying Pierre Spies was over hyped. Although the guy played well and had a injury and was told you never will play rugby again and still came back from that to compete week in and week out. He was never the same after that but I would not call it over hyped. I would call it a player who almost reach his full potential had a career threatening setback. Same as Jonah Lomuh. During the 1995 WC there was all this hype and did not live up to it all in the final. Over hype is a term used in boxing because promoters use that technique to fill PPV. Good example is just check the Cotto Mayweather bout. I think in rugby we use the term overrated and underrated. Spies and most of those players were overrated. You can add Thompson also to that list. Also overrated.

I'm not presuming anything buddy. :)

If this was the first and only incident, I'd honestly think nothing of it. That's the truth. No BS. :)

But you're always on the sack of NZ rugby and almost at any stage and thread. (i.e. re: NZ jerseys in the New laws thread). Not trying to impose any apartheid-like laws on you here (though you may or may not like that - okay cheap shot @assuming all Saffas are racist :p), where I am telling you what to do and not do - just calling out things that are mostly unfair.

Either accept it and carry on. Or deny it and continue to troll.

No biggie either way. :) Just like things out in the open, mate.

Peace.

Remove Stuart Barnes and the sports pages from the red tops (who only really write about rugby once or twice a year) and your average England fan is generally pretty pessimistic about the side.

It's like the old "The English are always going on about winning the world cup" when it's only ever other countries fans that bring up '03!

And there goes the sassanach swine , bringing up past glories again ...Don't get him started on 03 or we'll be here all night for god sake...

I'm not presuming anything buddy. :)

If this was the first and only incident, I'd honestly think nothing of it. That's the truth. No BS. :)

But you're always on the sack of NZ rugby and almost at any stage and thread. (i.e. re: NZ jerseys in the New laws thread). Not trying to impose any apartheid-like laws on you here (though you may or may not like that - okay cheap shot @assuming all Saffas are racist :p), where I am telling you what to do and not do - just calling out things that are mostly unfair.

Either accept it and carry on. Or deny it and continue to troll.

No biggie either way. :) Just like things out in the open, mate.

Peace.
On the sack of NZ rugby? Where? You mean where I was pointing out the fact where the ref was right and the Chiefs supporters were wrong? Or was it where I also pointed out that Bruce Lawrence made the correct decisions in penalizing the Reds vs the Crusaders?

The NZ jerseys were just a example. They were the first team to use that special design were the other teams followed. I did not point it out cause I hate NZ I just made a example that it is hard to bind in the scrum these days because of the jerseys that the players use. If you see that as NZ bashing then I think your the one with the problem because you are trying to find the bad in a discussion.

As for apartheid you lived 1000's of miles away and did not live in this country so you do not know anything. Plus the thing is I am a baster (translate.google.com) so low blows will not get you very far with me.

On the sack of NZ rugby? Where? You mean where I was pointing out the fact where the ref was right and the Chiefs supporters were wrong? Or was it where I also pointed out that Bruce Lawrence made the correct decisions in penalizing the Reds vs the Crusaders?

The NZ jerseys were just a example. They were the first team to use that special design were the other teams followed. I did not point it out cause I hate NZ I just made a example that it is hard to bind in the scrum these days because of the jerseys that the players use. If you see that as NZ bashing then I think your the one with the problem because you are trying to find the bad in a discussion.

As for apartheid you lived 1000's of miles away and did not live in this country so you do not know anything. Plus the thing is I am a baster (translate.google.com) so low blows will not get you very far with me.

A hybrid...

070320007.jpg

Like I said, you seem to always use NZ in a negative light on your part.

I have no problem with anything. Funny you should say that.

And it wasn't a real low blow (why else would I point it out? :p :lol:).

Like I said, you seem to always use NZ in a negative light on your part.

I have no problem with anything. Funny you should say that.

And it wasn't a real low blow (why else would I point it out? :p :lol:).
Negative? No. I will say the same things about my country or its players or any other country. I did not call you a sheep shagger yet.

Why shouldn't we go on about winning the world cup? We did win it after all...

Maybe I should stop reading Stuart Barnes. Seriously though, some of the players who run out in an England shirt in the last few years have underachieved spectacularly in my opinion.

Why shouldn't we go on about winning the world cup? We did win it after all...

Maybe I should stop reading Stuart Barnes. Seriously though, some of the players who run out in an England shirt in the last few years have underachieved spectacularly in my opinion.
Yeah but back in 1966.

Negative? No. I will say the same things about my country or its players or any other country. I did not call you a sheep shagger yet.
If that's how I saw it, then it is what it is. :)

Seemed more than coincidental on my part.

Like I said earlier, no biggie otherwise.

If that's how I saw it, then it is what it is. :)

Seemed more than coincidental on my part.

Like I said earlier, no biggie otherwise.
Next time I will use Tzarbekistan as a example. Anyone from the Kingdom of Tzarbekistan on here?