• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan rugby

The squad should be named Early next week as Players were going to be notified at the end of this week before Camp. I've heard rumors that a few players were uncertain about their place within the squad for the World Cup because of the number of players who have now made themselves available. According to rumors a largely different squad to the one that played the Pacific Nations Cup.

Dont know if Ben Tameifuna playing this weekend means He will not be apart of the squad, But if that is an indication then hopefully Tevita Koloamatangi not featuring means He has opted for Tonga. Having Nili Latu and Tevita Koloamatangi two class opensides who have both played at Super rugby level would be great for Tonga.

Last edited:
Having Nili Latu and Tevita Koloamatangi two class opensides who have both played at Super rugby level would be great for Tonga.
In order to beat Argentina, your tightheads will need a massive step-up against Marcos Ayerza. Minimum give-away penalties would increase your chances a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

My choice in scrum vs Argentina

Front row: Taumalolo - Taione - Aulika
Locks: S. Mafi - Tuineau
Back row: Latu - Kalamafoni - Fonua

Based on reports out of camps in England (Cranleigh Rugby Club) Aleki Lutui has joined the squad. Cant see how he makes the squad especially at 37, He was apart of the dismal Line-out performance against Scotland last yr. Lutui still carries well, but runs far too upright that is ineffective against organised defensive sides. Paula Ngauamo(Mont-De-Marsan) and Elvis Taione(Exeter) other Hookers with the squad and I hope both get the nod over Lutui come starting 23 on any given game day.

Other reports would suggest Opeti Fonua(Leicester), Manu Ahotaeiloa(Bayonne), and Siale Piutau(Japan) are with the squad (not a full squad that trained at the Cranleigh Rugby Football club). Wish they would name a squad already, probably waiting on the Wallabies and All blacks to finalise squads to see if they can still pinch some players who play for either country.

Last edited:
Posted the Tongan Rugby World Cup Squad in the RWC15 thread one player to be finalised. No real surprises based on players named this would be my starting 23

15. Tevita Halaifonua
14. Telusa Veainu
13. Siale Piutau
12. Sione Piukala
11. Fetu'u Vainikolo
10. Kurt Morath
9. Sonatane Takalua
8. Opeti Fonua
7. Nili Latu
6. Sione Kalamafoni
5. Joe Tuineau
4. Steve Mafi
3. Halani 'Aulika
2. Elvis Taione
1. Soane Tonga'uiha

16. Paula Ngauamo
17. Sona Taumalolo
18. Tevita Mailau
19. Tukulua Lokotui
20. Viliami Ma'afu
21. Samisoni Fisilau
22. Latiume Fosita
23. William Helu

Still waiting for the 31st player to be confirmed can only be 2 players in my Opinion. Either rumours in France are correct and Tameifuna is a chance for a surprise All Black selection ( pending if he isn't then he will turn out for Tonga)or its NRL star Andrew Fifita.

What depth for tier 2 nation at Prop.

Possible Starting props Taumalolo and Ben Tameifuna with Tongauiha and 'Aulika on the bench

Last edited:
Toutai Kefu named new head coach of Ikale Tahi
http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/303184/sport-kefu-to-coach-tonga-rugby-team

Latest news on his appointment
http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/303492/sport-new-'ikale-tahi-coach-in-race-against-time
He has clearly understood we have a ageing team, and a lot of new guys need to be brought in with the 2019 RWC in sights, which is good. With this there is also a new law that will be enforced by this new TRU Board, that they would like to see a lot more Local guys in the Ikale Tahi Squad then recent years. There is a good and bad too this first of all the amateur rugby back in Tonga is nowhere near the standards that will see them perform on international stage, many factors play into this fitness, nutrition etc.. but it is also a good opportunity for them to be out there on the world stage, it may open up some doors for the local boys. Best of Luck Toutai Kefu.

Good news, what Tonga lacked in last years seems to be management of the national squad. Hopefully Kefu will look into these issues. Good luck to him, sounds good for Tonga!

@Tautahi, it seems that tongan rugby is starting a renovation process. I hope the best for you; it's never easy to go through this process.
Could you briefly explain me this new law that will reinforce the local guy's selection?

On the other hand, have young Tongan players any development opportunity in Japanese top League?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tautahi, it seems that tongan rugby is starting a renovation process. I hope the best for you; it's never easy to go through this process.
Could you briefly explain me this new law that will reinforce the local guy's selection?

On the other hand, have young Tongan players any development opportunity in Japanese top League?

Thanks a lot for the reply yes Tongan rugby will be in it's rebuilding phase,and you are right it's never a easy process, seeing that we failed for automatic qualification in the last RWC. So with qualification for 2019 set as the main goal the quicker we qualify the easier it will be, with our neighboring islands also in the qualification process for the the two Oceania spots it will be a hard task.So with qualification for 2019 and bringing to together squad that will see us through for the next four years it surely will be a long road ahead.

So basically with this policy of more selection for local players in recent years Tongan Squads only consisted of at least 2 or 1 locals. Which in the eyes of Local Clubs was not fair so with the new CEO which happens to be Mako and Billy Vunipola father he will be pushing for more Locals in the Ikale Tahi squad 5 or more is ideal.

Yes Tongan players do get opportunities in Japan same for NZ and Australia but from the moment they start playing in these countries we are at the mercy of unions and the players. Many players hold off playing for Tonga to see if the get a call up from nation they are plying there trade in or in some cases they are restricted by contracts example cut in wages etc if the opt to play for a nation besides the nation they are playing in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the inside.
Yes, I was aware about the availability problems for your players in NZ and Australia. That's why I was particularly asking about Japan. They have a shorter season and IMO it shouldn't be so interesting to play for Japan as they aren't a RWC ***le contender.
By the way, what do you think about the USA PRO Rugby? Could it help Tonga to have some more players near the pro standards (fitness, nutrition, etc)?

Thanks for the inside.
Yes, I was aware about the availability problems for your players in NZ and Australia. That’s why I was particularly asking about Japan. They have a shorter season and IMO it shouldn’t be so interesting to play for Japan as they aren’t a RWC ***le contender.
By the way, what do you think about the USA PRO Rugby? Could it help Tonga to have some more players near the pro standards (fitness, nutrition, etc)?

Yes you would think Japan would be easier for the Tongan players to opt for Tonga. But generally it's the same case most opt for Japan not because their RWC contenders but because the financial benefits that come with playing for them. A recent case is Amanaki Mafi who was approached by Tongan coaches but he turn them down.

With this USA PRO RUGBY i think it's great both for rugby in general and for Tonga. It allows most of our capped players and uncapped players who find it hard to find contracts in more establish competitions another avenue to play professionally which is great in general. More time on the field to hone there skills more time training allowing better and more fitter players for selection.

Yes you would think Japan would be easier for the Tongan players to opt for Tonga. But generally it's the same case most opt for Japan not because their RWC contenders but because the financial benefits that come with playing for them. A recent case is Amanaki Mafi who was approached by Tongan coaches but he turn them down.

With this USA PRO RUGBY i think it's great both for rugby in general and for Tonga. It allows most of our capped players and uncapped players who find it hard to find contracts in more establish competitions another avenue to play professionally which is great in general. More time on the field to hone there skills more time training allowing better and more fitter players for selection.

That's a pity. Do you know how many Tongan players are currently in the Top League? And how many of them have decided to play for Japan?

Regarding the USA PRO RUGBY, i think in the same way. For sure is a mid-term expectation (Maybe 2019). And I hope it doesn't become a new "Top League", absorbing Tongan players without any benefit for Tongan national team.

That's a pity. Do you know how many Tongan players are currently in the Top League? And how many of them have decided to play for Japan?

Regarding the USA PRO RUGBY, i think in the same way. For sure is a mid-term expectation (Maybe 2019). And I hope it doesn’t become a new “Top Leagueâ€, absorbing Tongan players without any benefit for Tongan national team.

Roughly around 24 Tongans in Japan by my recent count (their could be more not included are the university squads) and just over a half of that number have represented Japan. Either in the underage teams, sevens or fifteens and most of them are young Tongans who surely would have been the future of Tongan rugby.

Just like I said we are at the mercy of the players and the unions, don't get me wrong every Tongan kid would love to represent their King and Country. But we ain't a well off nation and if playing for another country because of financial benefits that come with it, who are we to judge a player who is looking to provide for his humble family back in the islands.

Fair enough. Thank you very much for all the info.
Good luck with this renovation process. I hope the best for Tongan Rugby.

Ikale Tahi Squad for the upcoming PNC and Georgia test.

Props:
Sione Faletau â€" Canterbury
Ben Tameifuna â€" Racing Metro
Sila Puafisi â€" Glasgow
Leo Halavatau â€" London Irish
Sione Lea â€" Taranaki
Hookers:
Elvis Taione â€" Exeter
Sione Anga’aelangi â€" Counties
Locks:
Steve Mafi â€" Force
Daniel Faleafa â€" Alibi
Uili Kolo’ofa’i â€" Jersey
Back-Row:
Jack Ram â€" Auckland
Nili Latu (captain) â€" Newcastle
Sione Kalamafoni â€" Gloucester
Sione Tau â€" Agen
Viliami Fihaki â€" Sale
Mikaele Mafi â€" Otago,
Halfbacks:
Sonatane Takulua â€" Newcastle
Wayne Ngaluafe â€" Auckland
First-fives:
Latiume Fosita â€" Auckland
Martin Naufahu â€" Rebels
Outside-Backs:
David Halaifonua â€" Gloucester
Nafi Tu’itavake â€" Narbonne
Viliami ‘Iongi â€" San Francisco
‘Otulea Katoa â€" Edinburgh
Viliami Hakolo â€" Nottingham
Daniel Kilioni â€" Grenoble
Viliami Tahitu’a â€" Yamaha
‘Apakuki Ma’afu â€" NSW Country.

Possible addition for Samoa Games:

Daniel Halangahu â€" Narbonne
‘Atieli Pakalani â€" Carcarzonne
Cooper Vuna â€" Worcester Warrior

Headcoach: Toutai Kefu

Assitant: Siua Taumalolo

Other coaches:

Sateki Tu’ipulotu (Game)

Tevita Taumoepeau (Scrum)

Semisi Fonua (Sand C Trainer)

No local players were selected due to time available to prepare a team. This was allowed by interim CEO knowing coaches will have to spend extra time, with the local players to get them up to standard for tests.Players that likely will be available ex. Copper Vuna etc will be competing in Monaco sevens June 18-19 and will be available after the event.

Latest posts